FPS Problem (RTX 2070)

Well as i can see its not just me having similar problem i tested few things and i am still getting lower fps than i excepted but it looks like ppl with older cards are totally fine.
no matter what i do from ultra settings to low i get about the same fps
but what i noticed is when i select 1920 x 1080 (60) (*) on overwatch i get a bit more fps then the 1920 x 1080 (144) (*)
this is could be a problem with the game or nvidia it even can be even a problem with both since ppl are having other problems with RTX 2070 GPUs

PC Specifications: Asus ROG Strix SCAR II (GL504GW)

CPU: 7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (TU106M) (VRAM Samsung)
RAM: 16GB (Single channel) (i also know dual is better but for now i can't get the extra 16GB)

Stock Benchmarks: (i have links but didn’t allow me to post them)

MSI-01 > 2112
FurMark(MSI) | OpenGL > 6761
FurMark(MSI) | Vulkan > 5979
FurMark(Donut) | OpenGL > 4452
FurMark(Donut) | Vulkan > 4540

Hi. Please include a DxDiag if you’d like members of the community to help you troubleshoot.

DxDiag instructions (click to expand/collapse)

Reboot your PC, then only open Overwatch and play until you experience the issue. Exit the game, then follow these steps:

1. Press Windows Key + R, then type DxDiag and press Enter.
  2. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  3. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save.

To add it to your reply here:

1. Open the text file and copy all of the text.
  2. Paste the text in your reply.
  3. Highlight the pasted text and click </> on the post editor.

If your DxDiag does not fit in one message, you can post it on Pastebin.com and provide the hash code (the numbers/letters after the .com) in your reply.

If you don’t want community help (I don’t work at Blizzard), and require staff assistance specifically (they answer some threads, but not all), you’ll want to open a ticket.

Here is the DxDiag data https://privatebin.net/?4662f943d31bfe88#G2WfCC1XoeT94CiKCbUBrryAZAAivNpPWDAWtUhjQZLS
also forgot to mention that Overwatch is using the GPU i checked the settings and shows my RTX card

I’m not familiar with that privatebin website, and none of the links you’ve provided are working. Again, I’m only going to look at a Pastebin file, not Privatebin. If you don’t want to/can’t use that site, please open a ticket with the staff for assistance. Thank you.

If I had to guess without any other information, your CPU is throttling performance, or you’re overheating because that’s a mobile processor. Getting close to overheat temperature will absolutely throttle performance, as will the lack of Dual channel RAM.

Asus gaming notebooks are known for having bad thermals. Would you be able to post screenshots containing GPU / CPU temp? (GPU temp is shown in game when you enable the advanced performance settings)

Also, what is the difference you observe in average fps at 60 vs 144 Hz? (and what are the avg fps values?)

edit:
If your temps are too high (on the 90 dg or higher), your system will throttle and this will cause FPS to drop every few minutes.
Ways to fix this issue (without voiding warranty) include:

• undervolting your CPU
  • ramping up the fan speeds

Well not sure about the CPU but for the GPU when I set the settings on ow to like max it gets to 86c and i never have seen my GPU reach 90 on overwatch i can control fan speed but that doesn’t make anything difference

and for undervolting CPU the XTU doesn’t work right all the time I always have to restart the service for XTU and I don’t know but Asus itself uses XTU drivers so maybe its conflicting

for the FPS on epic i get about idk 120 and on lowest i get about 140 tbh i expect to get like at least like 200 on lowest

Bro I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH THE EXACT SAME LAPTOP, did you find a solution???

Not really i get about same ish still i got all drivers updated and everything but i think most of it cause i got single stick of ram so can’t tell how much it would improve until i get another stick of ram
you also could try GUIDE: Maximizing System Performance for Overwatch (PC) i havent tested that yet really

Do you know your RAM speed?

ofc its a Hynix HMA82GS6CJR8N-vk 1x16gb DDR4-2666 SODIMM PC4-21300V-S Dual Rank x8 Module

Aw man. Same here. I just purchased my Razer Blade 15 i79750h w/ GeForce RTX 2070 Max Q. Apex and fortnite run where i want them too with high settings. But overwatch just stays on 60 FPS. Also want to mention my model has the 240hz screen. I really wanted to take advantage of this display. I feel like I made all the necessary changes in my settings to maximize my performance, but im still stuck at 60 FPS. My resolution does say 1080p(240). And on loadout it says 240+ FPS and drops immediately to 60 FPS. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do.

Yah well the funny part is here www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/Features/ it says my laptop should run average 190 so it should do 144 without a problem but nope and I am not sure if this problem is from hardware or software

Couple things to help, if you never fixed it, mine was display related, make sure you access your nvidia control panel and see that your display is seen as it is supposed to be (240hz 1080p).
*The overwatch menu screen is always 60hz, make sure to start practice range to see your real fps
*Go to overwatch video settings, and then resolution, the refresh rate is linked to resolution; for example I have 2 options: 1080p 60z, and 1080p 144hz. Yours should be: 1080p 60z and 1080p 240hz, make sure you select the 240hz version.
*If all else fails, ONLY do this when you play overwatch because it effects other applications badly; go to device manager, display adapters, and disable intel UHD graphics. This fixed it for me for awhile, but then I re-enabled it to fix problems with Microsoft Word. So far my laptop still plays overwatch at 144hz so it seemed to sort itself out

I fixed my problem if you need help

2 Likes