(Explained/Resolved)FPS Issues After The Latest Windows 10 Build Update

So I’ve updated my Windows 10 to the latest version a few days ago but ever since OW (and only OW) has been dropping frames like crazy. My normal FPS is around 45 (during very resource demanding moments) - 60 (normal FPS) wich is playable. But after this update on Windows it went to 30-45 on average, but sometimes going even lower, the only moments that th FPS goes around 60 is when quite literally nothing is happening, other than myself walking out of spawn. Tab and it goes to 20-30, attack and it goes to 45ish.

My pc isn’t high end or anything, but it used to run OW no problem, specs:

Intel I5 4460 3,2 GHz - Intel HD Graphics 4600;
Hyper X Fury 8 GB Ram;
No dedicated GPU.

Have you tackled any of the steps pinned at the top of this forum?

Yup, to no help sadly. I can’t pinpoint exactly where the problem is, but as for now I can no loger play the game :confused:

These standard tips can help resolve most Overwatch FPS drops:

• Reset Overwatch’s Video Settings
  • Update your graphic card driver.
  • Reset your graphic card driver settings., then make sure that your Graphic Card Driver control panel is configured correctly for Overwatch. This includes setting Overwatch at Maximum Performance (not optimal power) for Power Management and making sure it set to run on the graphics card and not the motherboard chipset.
  • In drastic cases you may need to reinstall the driver and update to the most recent driver for your card. Remember to use Display Driver Uninstaller to completely clean out your old driver. Then download the most recent NVidia or AMD for your system.
  • There have been other threads reporting that updating your system BIOS can help with some performance issues with recent patches.

I’ve done everything on the list that I can do.

I don’t have a dedicated GPU (mine is a Intel HD Graphics 4600) so the drivers part was for that, but didn’t work.

Both my motherboard and OW are on high performance settings and still nothing.

Reduce your settings to low, your graphic chipset barely meets Overwatch’s Minimum System Requirements but does not meet their recommended system requirements. You will need to keep settings low to minimize any performance issues.

I’m aware of that and I do run OW on low settings since day 1. But before all this happened I was able to play no problem with stable FPS numbers, now it’s all over the place, making the game nearly unplayable. Not only is it on low already, but the render scale is on automatic and that puts it on 47%.

It’s possible that a recent Windows update made this change happen for you, which Blizzard has no control over. There are other users reporting issues with FPS since the Windows update, but the only solution there is to roll it back, but then you lose security updates.

The update itself got cancelled 2 days later I did it due to bugs, but one of the things I did to try and fix my issues, was cleaning up the old files, so roll back isn’t possible. I’ll wait a few days till they release a bug fix patch.

There is a recent epidemic of people with AMD FX processors getting extreme lag spikes such as myself.

However, you have intel, but I feel the same principle applies.

Guess you can only wait for a hotfix to this

that explains why im getting intense lag randomly all the time, just built a new pc with a threadripper 1950x and etc, im a cable guy and ive made sure my internet is absolutely perfect, found nothing wrong just like how I would troubleshoot a regular customers internet…nothing…I reckon my processor falls into this hot mess?

It’s not heat, its an update

@Noth
If you’re talking about the 1809 update for Windows 10, then the issue is likely going to be related to driver issues that came with the update. More info on that can be found here. Essentially, there’s an issue that’ll cause the audio portion of the Intel HD drivers to take up excessive CPU resources which is going to cause performance issues in-game. With that said, we’ll likely need to wait for a driver update before this is resolved.

Yes it is version 1809, I did the update in the same day it came out and had no issues while doing it, but on the next day, when playing OW the FPS problem began.

I did not know exactly what was causing the problem, thank you very much for the info.

At least there’s a fix underway, since I can’t roll back the version right now.

Hello. I had a same issues. its because of new windows 10 updates does not work with the new update of OW. but there is easy fix for this.
in the overwatch go to the << Options >> and select <<VIDEO>> tab.
then scroll down and find the <<LIMIT FPS>>.
set it on the custom and in bottom of that you can find <<FRAME RATE CAP>>.
put the value on 60 or more. so overwatch will never let your FPS get down more than this LIMIT and it will be fix your game.
Good Luck!