FPS Drops (DxDiag + video included)

So I’ve had this problem since Saturday (9/15/18 8PM EST) and basically what it does is give me extreme lag spikes. Normally, I can maintain 100 fps consistently and get smooth gameplay, but recently, my fps spikes from 100 to 17 and back up. This essentially freezes up my game for half a second every like 3 seconds.

Here is the dxdiag: dxdiag - Google Docs

Put it in a public doc so nobody has to scroll though 40 pages of text

2 Likes

These standard tips can help resolve most Overwatch FPS drops:

• Reset Overwatch’s Video Settings
  • Update your graphic card driver.
  • Reset your graphic card driver settings., then make sure that your Graphic Card Driver control panel is configured correctly for Overwatch.
  • In drastic cases you may need to reinstall the driver and update to the most recent driver for your card. Remember to use Display Driver Uninstaller to completely clean out your old driver. Then download the most recent NVidia or AMD for your system.
  • NEW! There has been a trending issue where Google Chrome is causing FPS issues if it is running in the background. Close all Google Chrome appplications in the Windows Task Manager to see if this is the case.
  • NEW! Some players are reporting that updating their BIOS on their motherboard is resolving their issues.

Also here are advanced tips I have written in Overwatch’s Tech Support forum that maximize your FPS performance in the game.

As WyomingMyst has suggested I would look into updating the BIOS on the motherboard. Been seeing quite a few similar reports also using the AMD FX 4300 processor where this has helped.

I’m using an MS760gm p34 motherboard and according to msi I have the latest bios version. Seems like support for my motherboard was discontinued.

I’ll try WyomingMyst’s suggestions, but in the meantime, how shall I proceed?

What temps do you have while playing?

Sub 60 celcius

That’s definitely in the safe range for a GTX 1050 ti, so it isn’t overheats.

Usually stuttering is from overheats.

This may seem painfully obvious, but try reinstalling drivers, and rolling them back.

I just wiped my drivers with ddu and installed the latest versions from nvidia. I have yet to see if this solved the problem

Edit: it did solve the problem (sort of).
I don’t have crippling fps drops but at the beginning of boots, I do for like 2 minutes. My performance is still not the same though as before

There are a lot of people saying that updating their motherboard bios helped them, so it might be worth a try after all?

My motherboard is pretty old, I have the latest bios and that’s from 2015

same problem here updated everything still getting fps drops since the update

1 Like

people really need to be adding in the fact that updating your bios can be really risky unless you know exactly what you’re doing.

be careful if you try that route.

2 Likes

Yea I see a lot of people just throwing that out when something goes wrong. It’s to the same as updating drivers because you can “brick” the whole board

Similar issues here: Audio and Video Stuttering

The audio and video stutters quite a bit when transitioning between entering a game to showing the character selection.

I have updated the bios and that does absolutely nothing to solve the issue.