@Forum community:

I’m glad you brought up this topic as it opens up a lot of room for interesting discussion.

It really comes down to PERCEPTION and how/what people choose to place their focus on.

If you look at Overwatch as a whole, you can easily see it from two drastically different angles: 1) How good and 2) How bad the game is.

Of course the majority of players will share a bit of both sides when forming their own opinion, and similarly a lot of these threads in question comes down to how they choose to view things. It’s a mental attitude that determines whether or not you will be more critical or receptive of whatever it is you’re dealing with.

Don’t get me wrong: when people observe faults of the game, I’m not saying they are creating imaginary things that are wrong with the game in their mind; they are objectively there and people oftentimes have valid concerns pertaining to them. But sometimes they are so focused on those things that they also miss other genuinely good things too. That’s where you start to see the delineation from being “appreciative and constructive” to “critical and unthankful”.

That being said, Overwatch is just a game (and a non-subscription one at that); I think that we as a community need to loosen up our expectations a little because there are more important things in life to worry about. If this were our family household that Blizzard is managing, that would be an entirely different story. But it’s not, and IMHO we need to treat it accordingly.

2 Likes

This is the best advice when concerning Overwatch fandom moving forward.

Expect nothing or very little, and you’ll come out with a positive experience.

this community is mixed with 2 circlejerks

“Blizz is literally a godsend and you’re all sinners for not liking them”
and
“Blizz is literally satan and everything they do is corrupt and horrible”

Obviously Blizzard isn’t exactly the God of balance, lore progression or even OWL management. But because of their faults they should be open to criticism to encourage them to improve

1 Like

That’s why I vote with my wallet. When they do good they get lootbox money, when they don’t they get nothing. If they want to know why then they can look at the forums or they can choose to ignore it.

As you should! I would never condone spending money on a service that you think would be an unwise investment.

I’m not trying to be edgy here, but why would I ever be grateful for something I bought? I am grateful for things that someone did for my benefit that cost them something. When I open up a can of soup I am not grateful that it’s contents are what I expected, it was just a commercial transaction.

2 Likes

The difference is the definition of criticism has been lost online. Critcism is review for the purpose of improvement. It’s typically given by one with experience on the topic like an artist to another artist. It focuses on what’s done well and where improvements can be made. It is not venom-spitting vitriol nor ego-boosting praise. It is tempered with qualities of both but tends to be neutral or at least presents itself as such.

Criticism does not equal feedback. “It sucks” is not criticism. People have to stop acting like it is.

2 Likes

I’m grateful that the apartment I spend half of my monthly earnings on is in a safe and quiet area.

I’m grateful that the PC I paid for and maintain still runs and does the tasks given.

I’m grateful that the food I purchase is of good quality, and does not make me sick or unhappy to eat it.

But maybe it’s just perspective… I know what it is like to have nothing, so I appreciate and am grateful for the things I do have.

3 Likes

Gamer’s these day have been spoiled and thats where the '‘ungrateful’ crowd come from.
Don’t get me wrong, I think content being good/fun is important but everyone has a different opinion on this which leaves to much gray area.
For 40/60 dollars this game has a TON of content and they keep adding more. Name any game that you pay 40/60 bucks for that keeps giving you free content, let alone content for over a year.
Most games now a days last 1 year for content and its all PAID content. Then guess what? You need to buy the sequel and even MORE dlc content, or be stuck with a tiny player base with little to no content.

I think OW is just fine , I am happy with the money I have spent on it and even if they deleted half the heroes in the game I still would consider my money WELL SPENT.

3 Likes

people paid for the game is the biggest argumentation root in this community.

The problem starts when people act like genuine forms of criticism is “whining”.

2 Likes

It’s way too frequent on these forums. That’s what’s worrying me

Stop personifying a multi-billion dollar corporation.

1 Like

I’m not trying to. My thread of criticism (What is going on with the game?) was met with people screaming “ur just ungr8ful” so I wanted to understand their sentiments.

We paid for it once and are still getting new maps/characters/modes/content/media years later. Personally? I draw the line at people being ungrateful when they’re regularly getting new things essentially for free but instead of being thankful whine and moan spitting back in the face of the creators like brats who take everything for granted and forget how to be thankful for the good that they’ve got.

It strikes me as unbelievably spoiled. Like with this D.Va short which Blizzard’s artisans clearly poured their heart and soul into producing, they put the dish out in front of the community and you already see people grabbing the plate and petulantly flinging it at the wall throwing a fit calling it garbage. That’s ungrateful.

I appreciate Blizzard efforts and hard work. They could have easily gave us a game package and end at that. Instead they constantly update, give free animated shorts and comics and host events. I respect everyone’s opinion as they are entitled voice their opinions; personally for what I paid, I was happy to play the game for a few months and now I’ve got my money’s worth after a few years.

By whining, I assume you mean posts saying things like “this sucks” with no actual constructive criticism behind them or evidence to support their claim.

1 Like

Ungrateful means not acknowledging the positives and only seeing the negatives.

2 Likes

Fair point. I’ll take that as my main definition of it from now on.