Former GM players in diamond being matched against mid plat?

Quick question. Occasionally on my team or the enemy team we will get a low diamond (usually grouped with a gold) that has a history of masters or GM in prior seasons.

Their profile suggests at one point they went through decay and fell to diamond. But if that’s the case wouldn’t that mean their mmr had to decay also to get matched with or against me?

Not complaining. I win games against them at times. But i thought even after sr decay your hidden mmr would remain the same.

Any clarification on this please?

MMR doesn’t matter in Comp.

Only your rank matters.

“+ or - 500 I believe”

MMR does matter in Placements, but not once you have your rank set.

Please don’t make random stuff up and pretend you have any idea what you are talking about.

See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 14), especially the section on rank decay and the references to developer statements.

4 Likes

The only way a formerly GM can be placed in legitimate diamond games is if he loses enough games to push his MMR down to be there. This can happen.

4 Likes

Please don’t post non blue forum threads as the 10 commandments.

MMR does in fact have a role in Placements. Once you get whatever rank you get, MMR has 0 affect in comp.

It only affects non comp mode queues in particular.

“If you do decay, it only affects your current displayed skill rating. This decay does not affect the internal matchmaking rating we use, so we can still place you in fair matches. When you do come back and actively play matches, you’ll also typically gain more SR from a win until your displayed skill rating and internal matchmaking rating have again reached “equilibrium”.” – Scott Mercer Overwatch Forums

3 Likes

Thank you.

So I was right. MMR has no affect on current skill rating.

Which means I’m ALSO right about MMR only affecting placements.

You want to know how I know that for a fact?

Tell any GM to run on a 1500 hour gold account and ONLY do placements. Then ask those GM’s to explain how they can score a lower Skill Rating after placements than the person who’s account they attempted to gain a higher skill rating.

And if you don’t know why or how that works Kaawumba, then perhaps you need to retake a statistical course in school to understand how the deeper your MMR stats are, the harder it is to move them up or down, as you would have to win/lose hundreds if not thousands of games to offset the MMR average.

Enter “Smurf Accounts”

Facepalm.

20 characters.

3 Likes

gg ez

/20characters.

MMR has no effect in comp…are you serious? How do you think “fair” matches are arrived at? Using SR only? That is absolutely not how match making works…hence the term “match making rating” MMR…you will be matched in comp by your MMR it’s SR that doesn’t really matter.

3 Likes

If a master or GM player decays to 3000SR, when they do play again they will be matched with masters/GM players. Why do you think that is? Because even though the SR decayed, their MMR did not.

MMR absolutely affects competitive matches, not just in placements.

2 Likes

OW user-base id dying in quick order. You will see further and further bleeding of ELO tiers because there simply aren’t enough players for even matches. This is especially true for people in M and GM, with only a handful of people online at their ranks at any given time.

Wut? Your SR will always be forced near your MMR as you play games, due to the bonuses. That’s exactly what Mercer was talking about, and why decayed players bounce back quick.

Also MMR does not care about placements at all. Placements only “hide” your SR for 10 games, but your MMR moves like it would otherwise.

Placements aren’t special. A win or loss moves you up and down just like a win/loss out of placements. If the account is already established (you alluded to the idea of “confidence” in ranks so it sounds like you know about this anyway) then the GM would not be able to raise the account’s placement any higher than if they had gotten on during the previous season and played 10 games.

Lastly, to the OP, you went against smurfs. GMs who threw games to drop rank. Either so they could play with their gold ranked friend, or the gold account is also a smurf helping them to get lower matches.

The game has changed a lot. There are players who were legitimately once GM who are now diamond players and a lot of former t500 players who are now master players. It’s not improbable that they are at their correct rank now.

MMR doesnt decay.
Those are either boosted accounts (They simply fell to their real skill) or intentionally threw games to get in there.

1 Like

That facepalm means you’re wrong, abd you’re still not getting it.

You are right, if they use all your previous SR/MMR Values.
But they are trying to get ride of noise basically, usually you take a set amount of games and calculate the mean value. So your MMR isn’t affected by all of your matches. Smoothens your progression/regression

This guy is making that up. Blue has already said matchmaking is off mmr not Sr.

Reasons a former gm could be placed against diamond.

Placements
Former gm threw or lost a bunch
Multiperson queue high mmr player thrown in enemy team to balance mmrs of teams.

Most likely one. But Gm on a character, got bored, started flexing, fell a bunch.

But in my case the only time I’ve played against former Gm was in a 5 man queue where one of our plat players was a former Gm and had crazy mmr from stomping diamonds the last few games as rein

Oh I didn’t realize a low gold can play against 4000+ based on MMR in comp

My mistake!

I stand corrected.

No they won’t.

They are matched with other diamonds + or - 500 until they climb.