Forced 2-2-2 Will Set This Game On Fire

I would still argue 9/10 that the better even mix of roles still results in better play more often than not.

2/2/2 is not perfect, and if we go down the path of just looking for faults I can think most of us with a straight face would say its clear that the current system is not working well either. Something has to change, so what is it?

Again, I favor per match bans over anything else, but I don’t think that is going to happen so this is the next alternative.

Why not? What makes a comp good for the game over the long haul?

And I’m not saying we should force 3-3 either, it’s not like we have these comps all the time… the majority of time we have 2-2-2 anyway (unless you’re talking qp, idc about qp)

What is good for the game is having the ability to change comps on the fly, to have the freedom to pick what works for the team at that match and not being stuck in a 2-2-2 comp when you know you could be adapting to the other team comp to win the game

I like the ban idea but struggle to figure out how you could make it work in a soloQ environment. Everyone is just going to want to ban whatever counters the hero they are playing.

Seems like it would work better in organized tournaments where you can get 6 people to agree on a goal

So you concede that this is not going to stop any one-trick. But rather than, say, you not playing Symmetra and swapping to a tank or support, you want to enforce roles so that you don’t have to have that responsibility.

I’m starting to suspect that this is less about one-tricks, and more about making sure that you don’t have to flex.

2 Likes

This is exactly right. There is actually countering and adapting, and simply switching just to switch.

Most of the potato ranks do the latter.

Everyone was saying the same crap and fearmongering the release of Dynamic Queue (role queue) in League of Legends, and years on, it’s the best decision they could’ve made IMO

a role queue would be handy - in overwatch, i see it working as in the pre-game phase, where you all pick heroes you must pick from your assigned role, however after like, 30 - 60 seconds, you get to choose whatever you want, however that may threaten the balance of the teamcomp, so it will encourage staying 222 without properly enforcing it.

League Shiz - relevant, but it's league shiz.

i embrace this change with open arms; Midlane is the DPS of LoL, as in, a lot of people wanna play it (and probably arent very good at it lmao) as such it takes the longest time to queue for, and yes it is longer than if you were to queue as fill or support, but it’s by no means unbearable.

Want to be rigid and only stay to one role? sure, enjoy longer queue times.
Want to learn an offrole that you’re comforatable on to a similar extent to your primary? enjoy shorter queue times.
Want to fill to get the shortest queue times? enjoy short queue times but an unprediactable role in game.

this system would have benifits and drawbacks, but i think the benifits outweigh the cons.

making people learn 2 roles instead of only sticking to one is benificial to the overall health of the game IMO.

if you can’t see that the current GOATs problem for instance is hurting the game, there is little possible dialog here. What makes you think we are having this question in the first place, because the freedom to make overbearing trash comps isn’t an issue in the first place?

You talk about freedom to adapt, but that is for the better part of the playerbase not what they do.

So, if not 2/2/2, or character banning what is the answer?

Yeah. But, you still can do that, if you want. They have this fancy mode called “No Limits” in Arcade, if you want to play that way. They didn’t completely remove hero stacking from the game.

Alright, I’ll bite. Even if Arcade is the only place where this game doesn’t have Forced 2-2-2, then fine. At least there will be a place for those who don’t want to play this way.

But, if they do this Forced 2-2-2 everywhere except Arcade, then they need to re-work Arcade. Right now, there are two versions of Elimination in Arcade, out of only 5 slots. And, at one point, during LNY, there was 3 out of 5 slots taken up Mystery modes. If Arcade becomes the only haven from Forced 2-2-2, then Arcade needs more slots or a better rotation system or something.

You know, I find this all a bit ironic. They said they didn’t add more slots/modes to Arcade, because it would split the player base up too much. But, Forced 2-2-2 will do just that. It will split the players into those who want it, and those who don’t. Those who don’t want it will leave or play Arcade only. And those who do, will have the rest of the game to themselves. But, make no mistake, the player base will decline for the Main game. Either due to leavers or former QP and such players flocking to Arcade and only playing there.

I hope you all are prepared for this. Because, it’s going to be a bumpy ride. Just don’t come whining to me when OW becomes a dead game, because it alienated its own player base.

This has not proven good for the game, it’s 3 years in and the state of comp is not good; developers themselves admit it’s not and the faults in doing things like giving you 1 SR for 29 heroes.

Honestly you’re telling me the average person can play Widow, Rein and Zenyatta all at the same level? (random examples don’t get too stuck into the specifics).

If I’m a 3500 Reinhardt I might only be a 2200Widow; I shouldn’t be in a 3500 game on Widow.

GOATS is a balance issue, not a composition issue.

You don’t even play GOATS, what you play is ladder-Deathball, which is symptomatic of the balance problems.

2 Likes

Oh, is this about not liking the current meta and a desire to remove that meta by forcing a composition that will make that meta impossible? No way am I going to support something so short-sighted.

3 Likes

So now we’re down to forced heroes.

2 Likes

Literally this:

5 Likes

Forced 2-2-2 is a requirement for this game to be even remotely serious

1 Like

I agree at its core its a balance problem, but Blizz cannot/will not fix it.

Something has to be done, so again, what exactly?

I am referring to OWL btw, but the problem exists in the game too, its not such a clear line as some folks want to think it is.

So far all the discussion here is on what not to do, but not what to do to make a better game.

The game has roles like any other MMO-RPG.

Blizzard made the mistake to let people do whatever they want in a based role game specially a heavy TEAM-BASED game. Just Imagine wow/ff/dota/lol giving you the freedom to pick for example 5 junglers in LOL because following the same logic that people applies in this game

" I’ve the freedom to pick whatever I want!"

or in WOW/FF ;

You queue for a raid/dungeon and you have 4 Tanks - 8 DPS but not a single healer and vice-versa yeah you will have instant queue times but at what cost?.

And this mode of “complete freedom” didn’t succeed in OW in fact made the company lost players and stop being relevant very quick because it creates frustration.

2 Likes

The immense balance patch on the PTR maybe? I dunno.

Not true there are plenty of healers and tanks playing DPS now as well, ever since Brigitte (or too much CC to be more accurate).

For the record, I prefer someone who is comfortable with the reality that they don’t know how to fix it over someone who believes that they do and that their’s is the only way.

Welp, and there it is. You and I both know that the PTR changes are not bad, perhaps they will help some, but its clear the mundane Hero 30 isn’t the answer and I bet these changes will have little to no impact in reducing a fixed meta.

Again, character bans are the best route here… there’s so much good about them that I think people dismissed them far too quickly.