Forced 2-2-2 Will Set This Game On Fire

if no one is using reins shield then rein should swap
this obsession with rolls is killing the game, people do things like demanding a rein then playing as far away as possible, or picking orisa to go with tracer and gengi
the people demanding 222 just treat it like magic spell and then ignore how heros work together and even where they are

8 Likes

No the lack of people who know what it is to be on a team, in a team game is killing the game.

The problem with trying to make arguments like this is they’re taken as absolutes. The point is you need a main tank, no you don’t need rein specifically.

The game played without certain roles no longer feels like OW. If you do not have a main tank and a main heal it doesn’t feel like OW it’s just people running around fragging out. Furthermore often solo tanking and solo healing is an unrewarding taxing experience so we should seek to avoid putting players in this experience frequently; and so you arrive at 2-2-2.

Beyond that if you get 4DPS typically in gold it descends into chaos while 4 people run around shooting at the first thing they see. 2-2-2 would provide some structure to promote team play, which really is what this game is about. Not doing whatever you want whenever you want and running off death matching.

No one is acting like 2-2-2 will be a magic wand, we’re seeking iterative improvement over a system that has not seen any in 3 years.

2 Likes

The game played without certain roles feels EXACTLY like Overwatch. What’s killing the game is the stagnation into Deathball roles.

2 Likes

I enjoy playing both of those roles. What I do not support is the requirement that one plays a role exclusively, and that one does not have the right to pick from the entirety of the roster in the game that they paid for. And as such I feel that enforced role select is both draconian and violates the spirit of the game.

What if I don’t feel like tanking? Do I now have to leave, go back to the start menu, queue as a support, and then re-enter the queue just to play again? That seems self-defeating and miserable, when I can simply select a support hero in the next match.

4 Likes

The only people who will leave or dislike 222 are selfish dps mains.

222 brings;

A better chance to balance thr game and make a larger portion if not all of the cast viable.

More competitive as teams can’t cheese wins by swapping in more tanks or going full cheese with bastion.

If they have any sense, they will implement it in time.

2 Likes

LOL, 3 minutes …

3 Likes

Game’s already on fire. Nothing would change. What are we gonna do? Make it extra fiery?

It’s a matter of pros vs cons. And judging by how garbage it is at the moment, Adding a role que with different rankings for different roles per player, will create much less problems than what they solve.

I think you have me confused with someone else. Or, whatever info you’re getting is wrong. Only 2 of my Top 10 most used heroes are DPS. With Sombra at #8 and Solider at #9. The rest are all Support or Tanks.

Even if we go back to my early days of OW, where I only played VS AI, only 4 out of my Top 10 are DPS, with Solider being the only one in Top 5 at #2

Even QP, specifically, I only have two DPS in the Top 10. Genji at #7 and Hanzo at #9

So, I don’t know where you’re getting this “7 out of 8 heroes are DPS” thing. Either you have me confused with someone else, or where you got your info from is inaccurate, because my stats have never looked like that. Not even in my early days (VS AI) where I played more DPS than I do now.

Nothing “reformed” about it. I’ve always Flex-ed. Ever since Day 1, I’ve always played at least DPS and Tank. Support didn’t come until a little later, because I was never the best “Medic” in other games. But, after giving it a go in OW, turns out I actually like most of their Supports. With Mercy being my least favorite and really only used in “odd” game modes. Such as: CtF, Low Gravity, and Total Mayhem. I rarely use her in “regular”/“normal” matches.

My point is, I’ve never been this DPS-heavy player you claim that I am.

Basically. Like putting gasoline on a pre-existing fire.

Utterly false. I hardly ever play DPS, as I flex between tank and support. I will stop playing this game if enforced roles come to pass.

3 Likes

1 tank or heal can work perfectly fine, depending on how the team is playing and what heros they have, i’d much rather be the solo tank than have some locked in playing a hero thats ot working becaues “we need 2 tanks”

no it wouldn’t, people play 222 like that all the time, there is no connection between team composition and coordination

one thing that would actually help coordination is a ping system like apex

have you ever looked at the forums before?

2 Likes

Exactly. I’m not a DPS main, and I don’t like forced 2-2-2 either. If they do this, I will stop playing or I will only play but forced modes, if they still exist (like No Limits or Mystery Heroes in Arcade, for example)

1 Like

This happens in all kinds of games that people pay for. When you join a team in NHL2018 you pick a position. You don’t get to play any other position at whim, you must wait until the next game to avoid blowing up your team with selfish decisions.

Goalie doesn’t rip his pads off and go try to score because the forwards are not popping off.

Leave what? after a comp match you always have to manually requeue…so you just pick “support” instead of “dps” this time. This is what you’re complaining about?

You can’t play a single role for a 15-20 minute game? It’s a team game I’m not sure what else to tell you.

The funny thing is I play low master/high diamond on ps4 and 90% of my matches are 2-2-2, but if someone is doing a bad job at dps for example, someone else will take his place as dps… maybe we need a sombra and he can play junkrat only etc.

Sometimes when you need to contest the point you’ll switch from zenyatta to tracer, sombra or even reaper,

Now with this forced 2-2-2 I believe it will be impossible.

Also, pro OW has always had a lot of metas not restricted to 2-2-2, like triple tank, goats, triple dps, junkertown quickplay meta, 4 dps (genji, tracer, soldier and sombra on volskaya), new 4 dps (with hammond).

What if we want to try any of those? Nope, 2-2-2 it is

And what happens if you queu with 2 or 3 friends? Do you all need to pick a role, making it very hard to find matches?

1 Like

It can work, on average it’s not an enjoyable experience. If you get groups that will work with you I agree. But more often than not this does not happen.

It’s already been covered in a previous post by developers - they know 1 tank 1 heal is not a fun experience. So we can drop this here and simply agree to disagree.

There is a heavy connection between coordination and team comp. Again we can agree to disagree but you making declarative statements is no more valid than if I do it.

Ping system would not work, apex is a different game with long range engagements and way less frantic action. You’d just end up with pings going everywhere constantly as everyone on the team pinged whatever was in front of them.

You may wish to note that I do not play NHL2018.

Fortunately, we are not playing professional ice hockey where positions are defined. No, we are playing Overwatch – a game where the primary mechanic is the ability to switch heroes on the fly in order to counter the enemy composition. So in Overwatch the Soldier does indeed rip off his tactical visor and grab a pair of in-line skates if needed.

The desire is to have this in Quick Play as well, yes? The freedom to do as you are told is not freedom.

1 Like

Cant wait to see how those “great matches” are happening, even more with OTPs.

2 Tanks (Roadhog and winston, or 2 Rein OTPS), 2 healers (2 mercy mains and one Brig), 2 DPS ( Sym onetrick and Torb ).

Boy i cant wait! :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s an example of a game where you can’t do whatever you want. OW used to allow you to pick all Dva’s when it first came out and they fixed that because they could not balance the game.

I’m talking about the competitive environment, something does not need to be professional in order to be competitive.

I’d be fine with it in QP, but I care much more about it being in comp. I think this game fails miserably to teach new players about team comps and why things are important.

If you want to do/play whatever you belong in Arcade.

The health/balance of the game > people wanting to do whatever they want.

You act like this is inferior to say 4 dps and one tank one healer or 5 dps one healer? Oh Please…

It’s also a great example of why I do not play that game. Surely you can see where this is going.

And I am talking about how your metaphor is poor because Overwatch does not have defined positions, and its mechanics make it deliberately so.

No I belong in Quick Play, and when Quick Play becomes a fascist simulator is when I will stop playing it.