For those who've been here since around launch

Which Season was the most balanced in your opinion and why?

I think it was Season 3-4.

I recall seeing a little bit of everything in comp back then.
The game is more fun when all or most heroes are viable and damage and healing (Moth meta) isn’t insane and out of control.

6 Likes

Tanky dva was juicy

Old stealth was also juicy

Don’t forget about how juicy mass Rez was
:yum:

8 Likes

i’ve only played like. maybe an accumulative 10 seasons? idk which one was the most balanced but dive was hands down the most fun.

The last patch or two before Echo launched was perfect.

2 Likes

It is hard to say. I want to say a bit after the D.Va rework was the most balanced, but at the time the game was still very new and many players did not properly understand the game so that combined with my bias towards the glory days of dive really influence my opinion.

2 Likes

My favorite was the 3/3 type era.

People didn’t die quickly which mean in order to win you usually had to play very team coordinated to get enough DPS into the same target to make it die. Brigitte was very strong making flankers very weak which I am all for and such. I am fine with an off angle, but I hate characters that want to thrive directly behind everyone and get a ton of freedom to roam around unchecked like Hammond, Tracer, Genji as its dumb usually to chase after them.

Sombra I’m fine with because she’s easy to hit and her lethality back then was worse. Along with the fact when you hit Sombra she warped pretty far away usually.

1 Like

Season? I dunno what a season in this game is. I enjoyed the game most before they gutted Mei though. Felt like I could play whoever tickled my fancy in a given match and do well.

Competitive seasons.

Oh. I have no idea how those work. Is it bi-yearly? The naming implies there’s four a year.

(Haven’t been here since launch but I’ll just state my opinion anyways since season 6) Honestly, there weren’t many seasons I enjoyed.
When I first joined, there was OP junkrat… and I was a lower ranked tank player new to FPS games… so good grief that was awful…

One season I got serious and climbed to diamond. Too bad that season was gravdragon stun meta season where the most cancerous heroes were good apart from rein zarya (who weren’t too bad…?).

Had a break, then I climbed again, GOATs meta, yay… haha… ha…
If one team ran goats and we didn’t (because our team was too stubborn which was OFTEN the case) we just lost lol. That being said if WE were the ones playing GOATs it was fun.

Had another break. Double barrier. No need to explain anything here… I guess it was fun playing sigma a bit… :face_with_head_bandage:

That meta we had late this summer (after the roadhog and genji nerfs) was probably the most “balanced” the game has ever been. I put that in quotation marks because it was still suffering from powercreep, but in terms of character to character viability I don’t think the game has ever been in a better state.

That or that time in year one right after they did the Soldier nerf from 20 to 19 per shot. Dive was king, but it wasn’t “Play dive or we lose” until you got to about mid-masters, which the vast majority of the playerbase is under.

Honestly it was last October before they decided to buff bapt for no reason.

2 Likes

Season 7~ and that general area.

The really early seasons would have been moderately balanced, but Roadhog, hooking people through walls across the map, however fun it was, is one of the most broken things this game has had, outside of maybe invincible Bastion.

They last 2 months, though until season 7 I think they lasted 3 months. We’re on season 26 right now.

Also currently there is no break in between seasons, one starts as another ends. There used to be several weeks in between them, so the math may not add up from now to launch.

1 Like

After one hero per team and before the first triple tank.

I remember in a comp game of King’s Row season 1, I convinced everybody to go Torb on defense and we got melted. It was still tons of fun. 10/10 would do again.

I just miss how fun the game was, how unique. They’ve removed a lot of the essences that made OW feel like OW. The game feels like a hollow shell of what it used to be and I don’t often have fun playing or play much anymore. :confused:

2 Likes

Something had to give for balance. The more variables there are, the harder it is to balance. Made me laugh when Jeff said that more heroes make it easier to balance the game. Obviously not, lol.

1 Like

I don’t mean hero stacking specifically. There’s just a lot of changes throughout the years that don’t even make it feel like the Overwatch I used to play.

Guess I just miss the game being more fun and casual friendly and less about the competitive, e-sports environment it has become.

They also want to push OW more into the FPS direction and I hate FPS games, so it is further hurting what I personally loved about OW.

The pre-OWL seasons felt balanced, but I’d put that down more to the playerbase being less knowledgeable of the best comps at the time.

The only times I could really point to the game being pretty balanced was near the start of 2020 and the October(?) 2020 patch. There seemed to be a good variety of tanks & supports that were viable at the time - though these periods were rather short lived.

2 Likes

tanky dva was fine, it was the triple tank and the full strength ana nade that was an issue. i wish they’d just let dva be tanky again now that they’re gone.

2 Likes