Fitzyhere’s interview on Sombra NERF

Earlier this week, Your Overwatch talked to Danteh about what he thought about the Sombra changes and he thinks that they are indeed, a net nerf.

There is even a hashtag: #SaveSombra

Today, Overwatch Central posted a video with another Sombra player but he almost exclusively plays Sombra-well, he used to.
(Overwatch | THE WRONG SOMBRA CHANGES + How She Should Be BUFFED (ft Fitzy) - YouTube)

26 Likes

I love how he just sits there and spams E for Ana.

15 Likes

Of course they are a nerf, but they are the kind of nerf that needs to happen so she can be buffed.

Think of it like with McCree, he is weak because his primary fire is too strong and when he gets strong it breaks the game. At some point that will get nerfed and they can begin buffing the rest of his kit.

but she doesn’t need any nerfs right now. from my knowledge their intention was not a nerf, which they said to seagull, but it IS a nerf. So don’t put it live.

17 Likes

my favorite part about his interview is his views on sombra are completely different on all the forum dwellers views on sombra, saying she doesn’t need damage or faster time out of stealth or anything like that, but that the heros in the meta are what really make her weak, not her kit.

5 Likes

As long as they give her a buff that is an actual buff then i do not care. But so long as they buff one thing and give 4 nerfs with it, she will remain garbage. Her invis and translocator are fine on live so why change them?

14 Likes

But… her nerfs are not for a buff. It’s a wrong notion to believe anything she is getting will help her kit be competitive for taking a DPS spot from a different hero.

1 Like

He’s saying the same things about her being out of combat too much, and these buffs neither help that - they make it take longer to get back - nor add to what she can do in combat.

I’ve been asking for months to give her more to do, more strength and sustain in combat.

I like his ideas for faster reload and reload on TL, the latter of which has been suggested a lot.

10 Likes

I don’t think you got my point. She doesn’t need a nerf, in fact I argued the opposite that she needs buffs, but to get them they need to nerf that will oppress the game if she becomes balanced, otherwise she will either be awful or overpowered

Not to mention a lot of heroes just had their damage buffed because they reduced falloff.

So now a lot of heroes do more damage, and Sombra gets lousy changes that give her more idle time.

Everything spells out to, “Good luck playing Sombra without getting griefed for handicapping your team”

8 Likes

You think its a nerf so its a nerf but a lot of us think its a buff so its a buff to us. Oh well we all have different opinions. If you love the hero then you’ll adapt. These are not gigantic overhaul changes that you cannot adapt to.

no hero got their damage buffed, they got their range buffed.

…Uh…I know that? And I stated that.

Reduced falloff = more overall damage.

The suggestions on the forums are different solutions to overcome the same problems he’s referring to. But of course a top500/GM player is likely going to have some different opinions than most of the forums about the exact solution. The video makes t pretty clear that he agrees that the changes are not a good direction, and Danteh agrees.

Also nobody on the forums ever made a claim that the current meta choices didn’t have an impact on Sombra’s effectiveness.

its still not a buff to their damage.
they increased mccrees deadeye range, that doesn’t all of a sudden make it do more damage.

I don’t understand.

They are reducing the range at which falloff occurs. That means they do more damage overall because there are less restrictions on when falloff occurs.

Sorry but these PTR changes are buffs the problem is that they are nerfs to her current play style.

Fitzy has some quality ideas around buffing Sombra though. She doesn’t need more damage or a better spread as much as she could use some reload buffs.

1 Like

People usually tend to stay in the characters range when trying to do damage, this just extends the range they can do damage at, it doesn’t up their damage output. It will make a few heros more viable like McCree and soldier, but they wont all of a sudden start dominating the game. Its just a range buff across the board that makes all hitscans more viable do to the long range nature of the current meta.

The PTR changes don’t change her playstyle. She does the same things slower, and make her less involved.

Less involved, less ults, less impact, less purpose. Nerfs.

As Danteh said, it’s the pace of the game that’s the major limiting factor on Stealth/TL use; not their in built durations.

6 Likes

I think that’s more so people trying to play her the same way than it not changing her playstyle

1 Like