šŸ”„ Hero Concept (with art) Feedback Greatly Appreciated

Alright, doubt anyone will actually see this or reply or whatever, so here it goes with my hero idea.
Pherona, a fire wielding support hero based somewhat on a phoenix. No one actually knows what she looks like, as she always is in her full suit of armor. Her insanity rivals that of Junkrat, but replace the ā€œBRRRRINGGG KABOOMā€ with ā€œLet the world burn.ā€ Like the pyro from TF2, but less retarded.
Hp: 225
Height: 6ā€™1"
Weight: 350 lbs (we couldnā€™t get the measurement without her armor or sheā€™d kill us)
Nationality: El Salvadorian
Base: unknown
Affiliation: Talon (formerly)
Primary fire: She uses her flamethrower to do an AoE lingering damage effect that would be about the same size as winston, and similar damage. If damage is applied for at least 3 seconds, then a burn effect is applied. It will SLIGHTLY speed up the player affected for a few seconds, but also continue doing the damage that her gun would normally do. If she uses her primary fire as the lingering fire damage is applied, it does 90 DPS (from the 60 of both the primary fire and lingering affect, but the primary fire is reduced in damage because, you know, youā€™re just putting fire on more fire soooo)
Shift: Flame jump
Using her jet-pack, Pherona does a Winston leap/pharah jump jet ability which, at both the start and finish of the jump, will leave some of her fiery primary fire in a lingering cloud when she takes off and lands, with the height and speed of a pharah jet, but distance and maneuverability of a Winston leap. Cool-down: 10 seconds
E ability: mini beam
Pherona has, on her left hand, 5 beams which can attach to an ally or an enemy, similarly to a mercy beam. Attached to an ally and it heals them for 15 HPS per beam. Attached to an enemy and she deals 10 DPS per beam. She can place any number of beams on any number as allies, just so long as it does not exceed 5. If she uses all 5 beams at once, she cannot use her primary fire. Instead, she uses it as a melee weapon, as it has a sharp blade like a bayonet. Treat it as torbā€™s hammer, except it can apply a slowing effect to any victim, which reduces their movement speed by 5% and deals 5 Dps to the target for 3 seconds. Doesnā€™t sound like much, but it could make all the difference. The logic behind this is that her flamethrower is a 2 handed weapon, which when one hand is completely occupied, she canā€™t exactly do much with it other than SMASH FACE!! No cooldown on this ability, press E while looking at an ally to put one off, look at the same ally to remove it.
Secondary fire: fuming
Pherona releases a cloud of blinding smoke from her jetpack, which obstructs the vision of enemies and makes them make loud coughing noises, which reveals their position slightly better to hear to your team. It also will launch you a small distance, like a no charge doomfist punch. Cooldown: 8 seconds
Ult: Rebirth
If Pherona uses this ability, then nothing happens. It takes for her to eventually DIE for it to take an effect. Drawing from the Phoenix inspiration, Pherona, when dying after using her ult, will be, well, reborn into a state similar to a mercyā€™s Valkyrie. She has flight which leaves a trial of fire which deals half of her primary fire damage, she beams each member of her team that was nearby when she died, she cannot change who the beam is attached to until the ult is over, but she can use her primary fire OR her bayonet no matter how many players are beamed. Her melee is replaced with the bayonet strike. It would be a very long ult to charge, similarly to grav and trance.
Passive: lightweight
Her jumps are higher and her falling is slower, she effectively is always in slightly lower gravity. Not as bad as horizon has it, but she can jump a fair bit better than the other heroes, itā€™d be similar to like doomfist E for each jump, but slower.
Possible achievements:
-Always airborn (stay in the air for 15 seconds without touching the ground in QP or comp)
-Smokin (affect 2 enemies with her flame jump and her fuming at once in QP or comp)

1 Like

I am now realizing that I accidentally copied like half of your design, I had that in my brain since the mercy meta, iā€™m sorry if it looks like I ripped you off

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say that you really copied my design. There are some similarities, but many differences. They seem to be like Mercy more than Amir.

When I first made Amir, he was essentially a blend of S76 and Pharah, but with the smoke bomb and ult. I gave him a jetpack and a gun like S76

1 Like

I understand that. Iā€™m trying to figure out gameplay and stuff, but Iā€™m not very good at that. I have a lot of trouble with match ups, even though it should be simple, and I havenā€™t had a lot of time to work on it lately. I did make him part Arabic, partly for that reason.

Have you read the story yet? I assume that is what you mean by more background oriented. Iā€™m definitely better at that than I am with gameplay mechanics and stuff.

How do you know what lvl you are?

You can check with some guyā€™s trust level tester. Iā€™m sure you can find it with a quick search of ā€œRosenā€™s trust level finderā€ or something, or you can test it by attempting to post links.

Here is my concept of a Middle Eastern character.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/the-next-middleeastern-hero-concept/3644

I took a look at it and left a comment on the thread.

1 Like

This commentary may be a little disorganized, as Iā€™m reading your document in the other tab and remarking as I read things.

As to abilities, if the characterā€™s main weapon is a rifle, why carry around a flail? Why not an explosive grenade, since he already has a smoke grenade? Speaking of, obscuring the battlefield with that smoke grenade could be useful, but it works both ways. Perhaps thereā€™s a way to give him a passive or something to let him see through the smoke? Not strictly necessary, but just a thought.

The ultimate is fine, though you might mention in the ability that itā€™s his armor that lets him do it and survive the effects.

As to the loreā€¦well, keep in mind that nothing I say is intended to insult or injure. As I mentioned elsewhere, you have done quite well for a new author and I do think you have potential. That being said, the story needs some serious work if you intend to present it to Blizzard as a serious concept idea. If youā€™re just having fun, disregard everything below.

With the Overwatch roster being so diverse, and almost full already, having more characters from places we already have people representing isnā€™t really desirable, at least from a marketing and lore standpoint. Ideally, weā€™d have people representing every place and nation in the world, but as it is, weā€™d still like people from as many different places as possible. There is a definite lack of Middle Eastern characters, so thatā€™s not a problem, but Pharah already represents Egypt (and weā€™re given to understand Ana is partly Arabic, I believe.) So if you want to have Amir originate from the Middle East, I would suggest having him be either entirely Arabic or of another nationality entirely. Thereā€™s no shortage of countries there, thereā€™s Yemen, Qatar, Oman, Syria, Turkey, Iraq, and Sudan, just to name a few.

This leads into my next point. Just as Overwatch is diverse, so its characters arenā€™t always connected to each other. Thereā€™s the former Overwatch agents and the Talon crew, and the two Junkers, and so on, but many of the characters would have no reason to know one another that well. Besides which, each of them, regardless of any connections to each other, can stand alone as their own person. Before she joined Overwatch, Mercy was a prodigy physician running her own hospital, Jack Morrison and Gabriel Reyes both served in the United States Armed Forces, Mei was a renowned scientist working for presumably the Chinese government or a university, and so on.

Amirā€™s backstory seems so closely tied to that of Pharah and Ana (and one of his siblings to Mercy) that I think it hinders his ability to be himself and stand out from them and the other characters of Overwatch. Now, itā€™s just fine if he knows of Pharah. He might, considering how Ana was one of the founding members of Overwatch and presumably famous in Eygpt and Arabia. But the connections you describe tie him too closely to her family. One might question the necessity of having him at all, since she seems to be playing an equal role in most of what heā€™s done in life.

Now, Iā€™m not saying you canā€™t have him working for Helix. But if you are, you canā€™t have him fill the same role as Pharah is. I canā€™t tell you what his role should be, of course, but my initial thought would be to tie him to the Helix conspiracy somehow, the one that Sombraā€™s after thatā€™s presumably behind both Talon and many other world events. One might guess the security company that shares their name is tied to them somehow. Maybe he joined up looking for them, to try and shut them down, maybe he thinks they were responsible, along with Talon, for the ambush that killed his squad? Just ideas, and nothing you should feel like you need to consider in any way, but the story as it stands doesnā€™t give him room to breathe and grow.

Oh, and I just remembered, Lucio is our designated musician. So if you want to keep his musical ability, make it distinctive in some way. Lucioā€™s thing is modern synthetic music, so maybe have Amirā€™s thing be traditional Arabic music? I donā€™t know.

I hope that anything I said is helpful and that it doesnā€™t discourage you. Itā€™s entirely possible that Iā€™m mistaken about almost everything and there arenā€™t so many hard or fast rules in writing. But I want to see you succeed and based just on what Iā€™ve seen in writing, this is the best advice I can offer.

The flail is symbolic and so he can protect himself at close quarters. I largely based him off of Ra, and Ra has a crook and flail, so I gave him the flail since it was unique at the time and the crookā€™s abilities would have too closely resembled Roadhogā€™s hook. I believe I stated that he can see through the smoke, if not I will go back and edit it to clarify that. Perhaps a passive to let him see through enemy smoke as well would help, but Iā€™m not sure as to how that would affect his balance.

I wanted him to have a tie in to the lore. Something stable, so I made it so his family and the Amaris were close. Iā€™m trying to do more for his role, as Iā€™m not too sure where it will pan out as of right now.

I donā€™t want to make it so that he begins hunting those who killed his squad, and I donā€™t want to make Helix a major reason for his squadā€™s death. That simply wouldnā€™t make sense, since it happens years before he actually joins Helix, and it would make him seem more about revenge which he isnā€™t about. Heā€™s about protecting people and making them happy and making them enjoy themselves.

LĆŗcio is the designated musician, but like you said he is ā€œmodernā€ (2076 modern) synthetic music. Amir is more of a rock, and soul music. Heā€™s like me in that he is a soulrocker. He likes to rock out, and make people happy. I donā€™t know if you listened to the songs I posted in the op, but that is the kind of music he is about. If you wish to know more about his kind of music, just look up Michael Franti & Spearhead. He does do other kinds of music, largely similar to the musicians I have listed in the trivia section of the concept.

For now, Iā€™m going to focus on gameplay and balance, and then comeback to the lore and story when I have thought of more.

Hey, works fine for me. We see so many characters in fiction out for revenge these days that itā€™s refreshing to have someone whoā€™s able to move beyond that.

Yeah, you probably did and I just missed it. I was skimming over things pretty fast.

sigh And again, no, I missed that bit. But good, if thatā€™s the kind of music heā€™s into, that works for me. And itā€™s also good to write what you know, so since you obviously know a lot about the genre, all the better.

Probably a good idea. Iā€™m still having trouble with the mechanics of my own idea. Let me know when you get back to it, then, and thanks for being patient about my various misunderstandings.

1 Like

You have a lot of great ideas, and you are right about it. I did make him to tied in that it would be hard for him to stand alone and distinguish himself. I donā€™t think I stated that he could see through the smoke, just the allies could so you arenā€™t at fault there. I also strongly suggest listening to those songs. Its good music, and can give you an idea of what he is about. Especially the one titled Soldier. I made that his theme song for a reason. Youā€™re fine. If you need any help with yours Iā€™d be happy to help.

1 Like

Would anyone care to give me some more feedback?

He sounds like a fun hero! It would be nice if there were more specific parts of the hero, like damage for the abilities, but it is pretty good.

1 Like

I believe I put the statistics such as damage, range, and cooldowns for abilities at the bottom. I would try page 10 or so.

Oh, ok. I didnā€™t scroll that far down :rofl:

2 Likes

Its fine. I know it is a lot to read.

I like it! Itā€™s very interesting and I defenitely support your Hero Concepts!! Canā€™t wait for the rest of your hero concept crew!!

Thanks to PyroPandaā€™s template, I feel Iā€™ve done enough with Theodora to open the document to feed back. Please direct specific commentary either there or to the dedicated thread, here:

h
ttps://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/hero-concept-theodora/133448

Update: I have added a little bit more to his story, created a few new interactions, and changed his flail ability. Let me know what you think.

1 Like