Finally getting into competitive

Hey so season 10 starts soon. I’m excited for it because I’m finally going to get involved in competitive. A big part of what was keeping me from it is I have bad anxiety. But I’ve learned you don’t improve at all if you just stay in your comfort bubble. So what am I so afraid of? The worst that can happen is someone being toxic and I’m going to try to just ignore them if it happens. I’ve also been getting really fed up just playing Quick Play with horrible matchmaking and people not trying to win. Golden weapon seems like a nice incentive too

I did the 6v6 competitive and actually had a lot of fun. I got placed in gold; I think I’d do way better on the normal maps. But I’ve heard plat is actually worse than gold, so maybe hope I stay the same :joy:. And within all those games, I only experienced 1 person being toxic and no throwers

Is there anything I need to know? :tada::tada:

1 Like

Starts tonight?

It’s always been a day or two between seasons. Has that changed for this season?

edit: I guess it’s 3 days later.

Season 9 will officially end on Friday, April 27 at 5:00 p.m. PT (Saturday, April 28 at 00:00 UTC). Season 10 is currently scheduled to launch three days later on Monday, April 30 at 5:00 p.m. PT (Tuesday, May 1 at 00:00 UTC).

1 Like

Good luck OP. you seem to have the right attitude to do well this season.

And yes there will be a 2 day break between s9 and s10.

2 Likes

Have all your favorite snacks/beverages near you, also something for migraines.

Good luck! ^^/

2 Likes

Turn back it’s not worth the suicidal thoughts

1 Like

Hey man good for you.

One piece of advice I have: learn to block people quickly. Right-click their name in the chatbox, or the channels menu, “block player”, boom. It’s quite obvious when it’s necessary.

Don’t get dragged into arguments. It’s worth telling your teammates to block people as well

2 Likes

It does confuse me as to why Blizzard would make the decision to have the short downtime of competitive to be over the weekend, where surely the most people play. But I guess Blizzard does what Blizzard does. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Be careful not to get anxiety on top of your anxiety.

1 Like

Oh, thanks for the correction. I just saw season 9 ends tonight and assumed 10 starts

get ready to one trick brig!

1 Like

Let’s see here:…
Tracer Main, check.
Dva 2nd, check.
Good attitude, check.

You should be just fine. Just play to have fun (for now). If you start to get concerned with your rating mid-match due to throwers , leavers or bad teams (or comps for that matter), then your performance will surely suffer, and in turn so will your enjoyment. I was almost plat a few seasons ago and had a non stop horrible weekend of throwers , leavers and bad comps. I should have stopped and came back another day but didn’t. Then I decided to assist my friend who was in bronze. Well that was a bad Idea too (in regards to my rating). Now I am stuck in bronze hell and boy is it hard to climb out. No one works together in this tier (and everyone is gods-gift to OW in this tier too). Now instead, I just have fun and laugh off bad matches, cause what else is a game for? I’ll get back up to Gold without a doubt but playing in bronze with a bud is still a hell of alot of fun - when played with the right attitude.

I hope your placement matches place you in Gold so you have a good foothold for success. But don’t lose sight of what a videogame is for.

2 Likes

You have a great attitude so try and maintain that, people will be toxic towards other so try to keep the team level headed if possible, GLHF bud, see you out there

2 Likes

Just be prepared for extra toxicity than usual with the introduction of Bridgitt into the line up.

That being said, you have the right attitude. Sometimes you have to just jump in. Block people who are toxic and group with people who you have fun with. Even if you go on losing streaks just keep playing, it will turn around evenually. Stick to characters you feel comfortable with and you will be fine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hope they will launch it with new Hanzo and Rialto.

This is very good and often forgotten advice. Go to comp for the teamwork and fun, ignore your rank. The challenge is the same at any rank.

2 Likes

This is one of the best attitudes when playing OW. I stopped really caring about losses or my rank. What will make your losses worse is when they start to tilt you into playing bad. Don’t fall for it. If you lose a few games in a row stop playing. Go to another mode or play another game and come back at it later. I am in high gold low plat (have been for 4 seasons now) and every game I try my hardest and I try to have fun and enjoy the game. But sometimes you are going to get toxic people, leavers (purposeful or not), and bad team comps. During those games learn from your mistakes, get better, try a different tactic or hero. Just try to make the most out of your game. And remember the game is here to have fun, when your having fun you WILL get better over time, I promise.

1 Like

Thank you guys so much for your replies <3
I’m looking forward to it :tada:

1 Like