[Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Factually, many (I’d even argue most) of the techniques on display in videos of better players playing Mercy are applicable regardless of whether a team has proper composition

They are not applicable, if players are not good. Resurrect in higher tiers can make or break fight with one ult, in lower tiers it’s not going to do anything.

We clearly are playing in different worlds. In my world, damage boosting whole team isn’t going to do them any good, unless you happened to have second healer, to cover your lack of sustain with their superior defensive ult.

Wow, a meme that encapsulates rework and revert mercy supporters, who knew it would be in the Incredibles

Also, I’m waiting to see if there’s really a post cap

I respectfully disagree

I am not as skilled as the high level players I watch playing Mercy well in videos, but I have indeed improved my play at lower tiers as a result of learning from them.

I think a good Mercy player not only uses all of her kit, but also acknowledges that there can be improvements made in their game, with the possibility of learning from others who play the character more skillfully

Complaining about Mercy when one actively chooses to not use her full kit and also does not try to improve is…well, I dont have words for it.

Keep trying, I stand by my position: there is no time to shoot, when teammates are not healed. I use pistol in those rare moments, when teammates are fully healthy and behind shield, with me not having Valkyrie to boost them all.

In priority order: healing -> damage boost -> pistol.

My understanding from multiple previous posts was that you refuse to use your pistol.

This was stated as best i recall clearly and unambiguously

You are now saying you do use the pistol in certain circumstances?

If I am reading that correctly, even if there is no healing to be done, since you can always damage boost, so how would you ever given such priorities pull out your pistol?

Those circumstances are rare, like snow in desert. And yes, I will refuse to use my pistol, until last teammate near me is dead, I will heal/boost them to the end.

There is no need in damage boost, if teammates already have their ults, or pick heroes with low damage per hit.

In my opinion, a good Mercy player will find many other circumstances where it is optimal to use one’s pistol as opposed to all other available choices

It’s never optimal to have your teammates killed, or falling behind in charging their ults.

So yea, pistol is for those situations, when:

• Teammates are healthy and not taking damage(shield still holds);
  • Ults are already charged;

I find that good Mercy players do not constrain their decision making process with such artificial/arbitrary limitations

Your decisions determine, if your teammates live or die. Pistol doesn’t help them live, as it’s not snipers, who are responsible for most casualties on my side.

It’s not limitations, it’s requirements for optimal situations for your team. Once your team is in optimal situation, you are free to do whatever.

In actuality, it is not solely Mercy’s decision whether teammates live or die

An injured teammate can choose to use their own healing (if they have them), seek cover, dodge, find a healing pack, etc etc etc

Or kill their opponent(s)

In my opinion, a good Mercy player does not limit themselves to thinking that if a teammate needs healing, that is the ONLY thing they can do at that moment, and this has been on display again and again and again when I watch high level Mercy players play her.

It’s only thing you SHOULD do.

In my opinion, good Mercy players do indeed value healing, but they do not make it the absolute must in all situations when a teammate needs healing…they acknowledge that they have several choices, and healing is just one of them

My other choice is let that teammate die, which is a disadvantage for my team. Damage boost usually doesn’t save them either.

By other choices, I refer to the use of other actions.

In my opinion, a good Mercy player considers all of her available choices, even when there is a teammate who is wounded

Whatever else I choose, I choose death for that teammate. And, perhaps, a few insults for me not healing.

It’s easier to damage boost the target to get as many kills as possible and Rez afterwards then it is to keep them alive lol.

As many? If damage boosted target gets one kill, it’s already great luck. Unless you talk about Pharah or Widowmaker, which can spend decent amounts of time without taking fire, or about boosting teammate with ult, which usually succeeds at taking care of enemies.

And if they die, I won’t be able to resurrect them, as enemy won’t just leave them. Worst case that enemy wasn’t alone, so now I have to escape, or die next.

1 Like

No player and no character can guarentee that a teammate lives

You cannot control what others decide to say about you. If it is toxic, report them, and hopefully Blizzard support will remove them from the game

What a player can control is their own actions, and if 1 action has a better chance of resulting in victory for the team – even if that action is not healing when a teammate needs healing – then that is the action that should be taken

A simple example is a nearby enemy widow who is about to headshot a wounded 200 hp teammate. Healing the teammate will still result in the teammates death, probably followed by your own as you have to GA to the teammate’s position more or less to heal them. The better alternate action is to pull out your pistol and kill the widow, saving your teammate and probably yourself as well. If you fail to get the kill, the widow will tend to move to get away, and now you can safely GA to your teammate and heal them