[Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Lol love your direct response. Thank you for the laugh.

Oh crud ! sorry if it sounded rude lmao :smile: . You’re welcome.

1 Like

Nope not rude at all. :smile:

2 Likes

Can’t pin this topic anymore.

41.63% pickrate in GM, lol. Still #1 hero overall. Has never left the meta since her rework.

But whatever, Mercy is fine, sweep this one under the rug, right?

10 Likes

Oooh, they unpinned it again? This should be interesting, they really will do anything to not address the mistake that is the Mercy rework won’t they?

9 Likes

See, I think there’s less of a problem with Mercy right now (in fact I’d want more of a change on her rez speed), and more making healers be able to keep up with her healing wise. Specifically, Ana.

Mercy’s supposed to be the primary healer that can rule the battle field: she accels in that position. And most of the metas ask for that since the beginning. I don’t see her going away unless you nerf her into the ground to the point where she’s not usable: and I don’t think that’s healthy either.

I’d have to disagree there.

Mercy, from the beginning, was a simplistic healer that was easy to pick up for a new support player. Hence her one star difficulty rating, and then the fact that prior to the rework she was entirely a low ranked healer.

She was your starter healer.

But when it came to other healers, like Ana, Ana would be better because if you learned her she was extremely effective, had okay heals compared to Mercy in the right hands, and had better utility.

The more skillful support was used in higher ranks, which I think we can agree, was a good thing.

But on the meta part, that’s precisely what I see partly is wrong with Mercy 2.0. You shouldn’t have to nerf someone into the floor to make other heroes slightly visible. Buff Ana as much as you want, but it won’t change the fact that Mercy has easier heals, and with E rez AND Valkyrie, much better utility.

So then your only option is to nerf Mercy into uselessness, which, of course, is no good.

There just isn’t a good way to navigate balance with this Mercy, and how she compares to other healers. I’d hate to have to change Moira, who feels so perfectly balanced (Minus her barrier healing debacle) just to compete with Mercy.

Same can be said for Lucio, or Brigitte. Ana on her own could use buffs no matter what, but I think the other healers are very well composed in feel and balance.

6 Likes

mercy 3.0

60 -) 50 hps with beam

Rez: Removed

Valk: moved to e
5 seconds of free flight, chain beams do 50% of effect, ga range to 40, ult charge increased by 15%, 15 sec cooldown (33% uptime)

GA: same as 2.0

Ult: Lifeblood

Give every ally in a 10m range LoS a golden shield (like invulnerability after Rez) that PREVENTS death for 5 seconds, including mercy herself. Also grants bonus healing to everyone, and mercy’s Regen passive is uninterruptible during this period. Note that when this ult is used, no one gets any immediate healing.

Mercy without ress, guess.
Let’s remove Hanzo Bow while at it.

6 Likes

14 Likes

I disagree with that, and I point to another healer in another game: The Medic from TF2. He was the same thing: supposibly simple to play, with a game changing ability to effect the game. He was the only healer, and yet he was the most important part of the team in most cases. He was simple to pick up: but that one star rating is simple to pick. Like the Medic, being a fantastic mercy and a good mercy is a HUGE difference. Don’t think you’ve not played with a Mercy that has changed the game because of their battlefield perception: they can single handledly keep a team up when they are at their best.

But obviously this is a different game from TF2: but I think Mercy’s biggest reason why she’s so reliant in the metas in 3 fold:

1. She’s the most consistent healer
  2. She’s one of the most MOBILE healers
  3. She’s the best healer.

Here’s the thing: Let’s think back to the last time when Mercy wasn’t in the main rotation or the top of the meta. It’s been a while, but I can think well past back before she got the buffs on 2.0: she was viable before, but the season when she definitely was less useful was the season when Ana/Reinhardt with boost was the most common combo. Now here’s the thing, during that time, you had less tanks like Winston/D’va soaking up tons of damage. The game revolved around a lot of reinhardt and ana…and specifically their movement together and the shield.

Here’s the thing, since then, it’s been all about movement. Genji, Tracer, Winston, D’va, everything was about Dive, or the ability to move fast at certain points. While Lucio was faster and Moira can get around: when it comes to get to ALL places on teh battle field, Mercy was the only one who could do it consistantly and provide the top line healing.

Now you may be saying to yourself: “Wait Dragnix, now we’ve got Mercy/Rein/Zen/Zarya/Hanzo/etc as the meta, why is Mercy so important in this one, those characters are less likely to be movement focused!”. Well, again, top line healing. The only ones who output the healing that Mercy does in theory is Ana, and MAYBE Moira. Ana’s problem is simple: her buffs haven’t justified her over Mercy, mostly due to her self sustainability. Moira’s problem is simple: That nerf regarding her and barriers. She can be easily stopped healing with barriers right now, and that kills her ability to play against a reinhardt when trying to heal your teammates near them. That, and if she runs out of juice in a fight, well…yeah you can’t have that right now in this meta.

No one was arguing about her being balanced. It’s a problem that she is balanced, yes, but we’re not denying she’s balanced.

Being balanced means she’s boring and has nothing to offer other than the standard job for her role. Literally every other character has something to offer. Mercy’s only wild card is she can MAYBE rez ONE person every 30 seconds, but will most likely die trying.

Meaning we have the first iteration of mega Rez where Mercy was dying to use her Ult a majority of the time.

She is the ONLY hero who’s ability heavily punishes you for using it at least 70-80% of the time (95% if you’re higher than Masters).

Mercy was only OP during Valkyrie’s starting days when she could rez one at a time in succession. Mega Rez had counter play if you actually used it instead of being a whiny potato. (Seriously, people never give most other heroes crap about wiping their team, but Mercy picks up 3 people? “OPOPOPOPNERFNERFNERFITNAOWBLIZ”)

We also never asked for invulnerability. Blizzard thought we needed it because of the Viking Funeral we’d have to go through when Mercy would rez. It needed some tweaks and the SR needed a serious overhaul; Mega Rez didn’t need to be touched.

You wanna know why we’re so literal about it? Because having a dev and mod tell us in a side note that ‘they think Mercy’s in a great place and have no intention of changing her in the near future’ while simultaneously flinging out nerf after nerf because she’s too OP NOW is insulting to our intelligence as gamers.

If you need to consecutively nerf something 8 times;

IT’S

NOT

FINE.

13 Likes

I’m going to have to disregard your medic analogy, simply because the Medic is the only healer, and is much different than Mercy in design. Therefore, compared to Overwatch, where there are many healers, it doesn’t compare.

And that used to be all there was to her. But with utility, she stomps out everyone else.

But onto your meta point, I still don’t believe you can chalk it up to meta, when Mercy has been here through every single one after her rework. She works everywhere. Even in metas where speed isn’t a requirement, she works.

Also, Moira has never been that great of a healer. Similar to old Mercy, she is niche. Even before her barrier nerf, she wasn’t a #1 healer.

And I’d still have to disagree with the healer output and Ana, even when the meta suits numerous tanks to power boost, and are easy to hit for heals, she barely even scrapes the surface.

Ana used to have utility over Mercy, and she doesn’t anymore, and that’s where I feel Mercy got too good.

6 Likes

Genji no longer has a sword, he just uses super good shurikens in ult.

1 Like

Unpinned? Nice. .-. Let me say, the Mercy Garbage Dump is a HUGE reason why we need Forum Pages back.

6 Likes

It’s so annoying that I only have so many likes to give. T__T So many good posts recently.

5 Likes

It’s still pinned for me?

Are we talking personal pin or a pin on the General chat page?

It’s unpinned from General chat.

Sees this megathread (Sombra Voice) I need a drink.

5 Likes

Unpinned again? Maybe it’s time to stop with controversial reworks?

1 Like