[Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

It’s called thinking outside the box you’re all trapped in and questioning the one thing that everyone seems to miss

You want real changes to happen to Mercy?

Nerf her healing from behind a wall and people behind her then you can work on the rest of her kit

Make her struggle a bit to pump life back into someone other than hold down left click and do 360s

I feel like people miss the point of a one star hero.

Could say the same for Moira. I mean, when you look at it, it’s easy to heal as anyone except Ana. Lucio stands by them, Moira just sprays, Brigitte throws a healing pack and stands by them when doing damage, and Zen just throws an orb.

Healing isn’t some complicated task in this game.

I remember when Mercy was nice and niche, still felt like she had power, and wasn’t an issue with anyone.

11 Likes

Apparently healing is too strong now. /s

4 Likes

According to my dps/tank main friend, healing is always OP, even if it’s just a Harmony Orb. :smirk:

Obviously as a support main I disagree on this. :grin:

6 Likes

“I don’t like the fact that a main, dedicated healer (whose kit is - for the most part - centered around her healing) is able to heal well, and i hate the fact that she’s easy to pick up despite being a 1-star hero so therefore i want her healing nerfed!!!”

clearly the problem is something that’s been in the game for over a year without struggle and it totally existed before she got reworked with an unbalanceable ability.

8 Likes

“Still a must pick? Let’s destroy her healing then so she ends up on the same level of troll pick as Sym was!”

Her base kit is what keeps everyone playing her, yes; simple, easy to adjust to and has a lot of output healing.

But the best way to fix the problem isn’t to see how far down the well you can stuff a dead horse.

That’s the problem with people these days, they see something stay on steady ground and they think the only solution is to drop a nerf on them.

Nerfing doesn’t solve your problem. The monster Blizzard has turned Mercy into has proven that.

You see, Mercy USED to get outshone by Ana who ran a tri tank meta in the early days. Then she gets nerfed and suddenly Mercy isn’t as bad as everyone made her out to be seeing as she was the only other main healer.

The problem came when they gave Mercy invulnerability when Ult’ing as well as being able to rez anyone within radius no matter what was in the way. Plus the old SR system gave too much a reward to Mega rez’ing Mercy’s who got a 5 man pick up, so that encouraged hide and rez.

TL;DR, you’re only going to make things worse by nerfing her further. If you think the only way to fix Mercy is by nerfing her again, then we truly are doomed to repeat past mistakes and you’ll never get her in a good spot.

You’ll only make her completely useless.

2 Likes

I’m more about closing doors to open new ones

All I see is the fear in the eyes of people when you try to collapse their life lines and make them work for the value that have

But what you’re not seeing is what’s laying out plain to see; healing output.

With so many healers unable to heal through barriers and one of the MAIN healers being heavily aim based, knocking one down the drain on healing only makes matters worse.

I’m not afraid of change; I’m afraid of things falling flat and everyone suffering for it. Healers already have a hard enough time as it is, we don’t need to make all of them useless because then we’ll have a shield stack meta on our hands knowing full well that shields stop 90% of healing.

5 Likes

Yea, but her healing really isn’t the problem and the current Meta supports that.
Healing only has very little impact right now so it’s just wrong to think that.

5 Likes

Honestly, I think one of the issues is actually damage. You see, all healers can heal (obviously), but only one healer can “heal” the ultimate burst +200 damage that snipers like Widowmaker and Hanzo does - Mercy’s rez. And since it’s no longer tied to her ult she can negate those picks at random throughout the whole game. Mercy’s 60hp/s wouldn’t really be an issue if that was all “healing” she brought to the table from her base-kit.

Like many of us predicted, making rez a normal ability just isn’t working. It could work as an ult if you changed the mechanics of it, but nothing less. So many suggestions like LoS check, cast-time, making it something applied before death… that’s where they should have experimented.

Mercy’s weakness should always have been only being able to heal one person for 60 hp/s, no more and no less.

13 Likes

They’ve been leaving a lot of Mercy threads open, I wonder if they don’t want us to hit the cap again? Would be nice if they just deleted the Megathread though. >.>;

1 Like

My theory is that they’re leaving them open for a day or two, so they have time to collect opinions and discussion from the rest of the forum (aka the non-Mercy players).

(even though pretty much anything the “anti-Mercy/Mass Rez” crowd says has already been explained or debunked in excruciating detail here on the megathread. Countless times.)

6 Likes

Well… As predicted, she is pretty much a must pick again.
I like it that we are always right with stuff like that, but i hate it that no one cares about that.

6 Likes

I guess at least we can pat ourselves a bit on the back - after each nerf people said “now Mercy players won’t be able to rez unless their whole team is guarding them!” and we’ve time and time again proved them wrong by using our gaming awareness and game-sense… :joy:

7 Likes

Remember, it’s DPS who are stars of this show.

4 Likes

Balance wise she could be fine, but her design is flawed and contradicts her character. E rez is more powerful than her ult and it goes against Mercy being a mobile support.

It’s not a matter of being broken, it’s just a matter of being bad design. She needs a new rework for not being so free to play and master and not so good in every single comp, as it happened before her rework.

I wouldn’t say nerf but rework because she is currently bad design. Think about this. Mercy is a mobile support, so she needs a kit that fits with that statement. Just to begin, she has an ability which immobilizes her and is more powerful than her ult. That’s ridiculously bad design. Also, her current ultimate is just an ez mode because if you are good enough you will be able to replicate its effects by using your skills instead of pressing a button and hiding behind a wall or going out of range. That’s bad design too. Finally, the worst thing. These two designs already existed in the past and were removed for good exactly because of the same current complains.

Being bad design is beyond balance. E rez is unbalanceable and Valkirie makes her incredibly easy to play and unskilled. That needs a rework.

So better rework Mercy, remove ez mode Valkirie, make rez balanceable again, aka her ultimate, and bring her a new E ability. Here you are, now she needs skill again because she can’t solo heal her team for free while hiding behind a wall, she is not so easy because she has not ez modes anymore and she is not so forgiving because she has not her undo button for stupid mistakes anymore, she needs to think about how to use it once more. Fixed.

Or maybe you are not looking at how Mercy as a character works, so you can’t see what is what makes her healing so easy.

I’ll give you a hint. Before the rework, she had a different ult, but she could solo heal her team with some skill, which made her more difficult to play and master.

Sorry, but blindly nerfing everything until a character dies is not how you balance anything. She is straight bad design, and she will be bad design until a new rework is coming. E rez is straight bad design. Valkirie as an ult is bad design. Current rez’s mechanic is bad design. You can’t balance through such a nightmare of design.

No. She doesn’t need more stupid nerfs that lead to absolutely nothing but an even worse design character. She needs a rework. Instead of bashing blindly, please, try to answer these questions:
1- Should a character have an E ability STRONGER than her ult?
2- Should a mobile support IMMOBILIZE herself? How these two can fit with each other?
3- Should a hero with the best consistent healing have an ultimate with gives her for free her capability of solo healing her team, removing all skill from her kit and encouraging her to hide?
4- Is it good having a character which kit makes it good for every single meta, comp and scenario with no drawbacks?
5- After almost a year of having an op monster and still having Mercy with ridiculously high pickrates in every ranks, how can be this rework be called a success, when she is in fact hiding more than ever before?
6- Considering that valkirie and current rez’s mechanic existed before game’s release and that they were removed for good because they were proved as bad designs, how suddenly she is fine despite all saying the opposite?
7- Do you really think that being bad design can be fixed with more straight and harsh nerfs?

Exactly. She never needed an AoE thing for her healing. She was fine without it, adding valkirie was a huge mistake, next to turning rez into an E ability, the worst Ow’s failure ever.

13 Likes

Yep but they’ll never revert her. Oh noes can’t do that.

Mass Res never caused this much of an issue in the game.

Lol, Mass Rez didn’t get nerfed 7 or 8 times; it got an unnecessary buff no one asked for and the dev’s let a known SR problem go unresolved for too long and that let a rise of hide and rez go on for too long.

The entire thing could have been set to rest if they let the SR changes of today go longer to collect data and made some QoL changes to how Mega Rez worked. Instead, they created a monster with a bad design and have kept throwing at us that ‘she’s fine’ and that ‘she’s in a good place’.

8 Nerfs with a possible 9th on the way says otherwise, Blizzard.

9 Likes

I wonder what the devs will do, the support category can’t go on like this but what is there to nerf on Mercy that’s realistic? Nerf her rez and it’s just laughable, nerf her healing and it won’t make much of a difference now (but will be harshly felt once the supports are balanced), nerf her GA and people will riot at them touching her last fun part. Valkyrie isn’t really much of an issue, so nerfing that won’t help either.

At this point I want them to break her down completely and give her a complete make-over. I’m tired of her being constantly broken in several ways.

3 Likes

Judging by what they are doing to Symmetra, lesson wasn’t learnt.

4 Likes