[Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Could be Sombra, they’ve announced changes to her in July.

Yeah, I heard about that. But I consider that like a fix more than anything.

The most recent dev post did say that what they had in store for Sombra was “big.” And the devs have developed a habit of understating things in order to manage expectations.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a rework.

To be honest, I think she needs it. But that’s the thing with a character like Sombra, it’s hard to design her not to be super annoying to play against when viable (which results in them keeping her un-viable). It’s kinda the same with Doomfist, who I really think has a terrible kit (who thought giving a character 3 CC abilities was a great idea?).

Crazy idea time: what if they reworked Sombra into a support?

They could limit how many health packs Sombra could hack, but in return the hack is permanent until Sombra hacks a different health pack.

Sombra could hack an ally to overclock their abilities. What that would do, I have no idea. (But it sounds cool).

2 Likes

That is a crazy idea. Dx

While personally not opposed, I think others might feel differently. Besides, what I most want is for DF to be reworked as an off-tank instead. No one-shots, just using the punch to make space for his team. Remove some of his CC in favor protection. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds really cool!

I just think the whole idea of DF as a pure dps is flawed - dying to one-shots is among the least fun aspects of the game, but with snipers at least you have shields. It would make so much more sense for him as a tank to be more of a “protect supports” kind or for helping to make a path to move forward when enemies are huddled behind shields.

1 Like

B-but… One punch is all he needs!

They just rebuild the programming behind Reinhardt and maybe give him a buff against CC.

I’m not sure if it’s Sombra, because she is just extremely buggy.

It leaves too much room for imaginations, i guess.

Oh, okay! :grin: I think Reinhardt and McCree need a passive.

I know you say it in jest, but the truth is that it’s hype around his punch the forced him to become what he is. They sacrificed him as an interesting new tank because “lore says he can punch down a building”. Like, it’s not like he can do that in-game anyway, so might as well have just made him a tank… at least then he would have the health and shields to justify his bulk.

I did kinda wish Doomfist is a tank. But I don’t have much of an opinion on him at the moment. :confused:

I think his One hit kill should stay, but only if full charged and with a wall hit. Everything else… that’s not easy. He is like Mccree, one small thing can overpower him.

She is used so much because she is easy to learn. That´s what makes her so amazing to play - you don´t need to have experience in an FPS at all but can still use a character to help your team win fights.
She only became a “must pick” after the big nerfs to Ana and after giving her invulnerability during Mass Rez (which was a bad idea) - Mercy was barely picked back then because she was NOT good. Until the other main healer got nerfed into the ground.
And no she isn´t the best in every situation. Triple tank? Moira and Ana with their burst healing are waaaay better, I tried that - Mercy can´t keep all three tanks alive that well. But with Moira, the tanks in my team didn´t die at all because of the healing ball and her AOE healing.

The reason why Mercy still gets picked so much because her base kit is still fun to play, and Mercy mains still love that character.

Permanent hack of health pack goes against fast-paced gameplay, as it gives defenders advantage, if it’s only big health pack close to objective.

Effects of friendly hack(overdrive):

• movement speed increased to one of Genji/Tracer;
  • abilities recharge 50% faster;
  • fire rate increased, at the cost of accuracy;

QoL change to Guardian Angel:
It would be a great if Guardian Angel’s “prefer beam target” toggle can be combined into a unified contextual option, where you are allowed to target other teammates while the beam is connected, but if no target is selected GA defaults to your beam target.

2 Likes

Jupp, been saying this for a while now. I’d accept another nerf just to get this (it’s probably coming anyway).

Well, we have a problem about this. Mercy had the same GA before the rework and no one had problems with it. Also, if you nerf it, she will become too easy to chase all the time by absolutely everyone. In addition there are more problems:
1- Current Mercy is good for all situations with no exceptions.
2- She is by far the easiest support to play thanks to Valk.
3- She is the least engaging support thanks to Valk and E rez.
4- She contradicts herself because she is a mobile support who immobilizes herself with her rez. In addition, her ult doesn’t fit with its voice line.
5- We are now stuck with two bad designs from her past which were removed for good even before game’s release because of the same reasons that people are arguing now.
6- Current rez is awful to use, to play with and against, and it’s too powerful as an E ability. On the other hand, valkirie is too dull and weak as an ultimate, and it usually feels like an ez mode or a self survivality/mobility tool, just for hiding and holding a button or going out of range or cheating death or coming from respawn.

So no, nerfing GA is not the solution. If you want to nerf Mercy’s survivality, I would ask myself why in hell Blizz thought that giving Mercy a button for hiding and keep doing her job for free was a good idea when they only needed to give her a new E ability (not rez) and make QoL changes to her old ult in order to avoid the hide and rez thing.

Mercy’s rework was a huge mistake and has deeply harmed the game. She never needed it, and Blizz should remember what kind of results gave to them having valkirie as Mercy’s ult (removed during game’s development and replaced by something better and healthier: original mass rez) and/or rez with huge cast time and huge slow down (reworked and made instant during game’s alpha/beta).

Mass rez only needed some tweaks. If Blizz wanted to rework her, giving her a new E ability (not rez) was a way better solution than what they did, because then, they would have had the perfect excuse for balancing mass rez and making adjustments to it.

Well, quite the opposite. Numbers and the vast majority of people dislikes her atm, and only a bunch of people thinks she is alright now. People find her unfun to play as, with and against, contradictory, bad design, unbalanceable, too easy and really boring. This never happened before, and it’s enough of a reason for reworking her again. Being bad design is a very serious problem, and Mercy has been a problem since she got reworked. Blizz brought back two designs that were removed before game’s release hoping different results, and obviously, they were wrong. Now let’s see if the come back from insanity and fix their own mess.

Tbh, if you watch Mercy’s pickrates before the rework she only was highly picked during the dive meta (aka Genji, Tracer and Winston being everywhere and needing someone without aimed healing), and she was a trol pick during two seasons (2 and 3), so mass rez wasn’t a problem. Why? Because it was earned, so you had to economize it and use it wisely. As it was AoE, you had to know when was the right moment to use it, instead of just sneaking around and rezzing one guy each 30 seconds.

And there is where the devs shot their own feet. Hide and rez was a lesser problem included in rez’s mechanic, which was too easy to kill with a few QoL changes. They could have fix that for example with one of these of a combination:
1- LoS: no rez through walls
2- Cast time (1-1,5 seconds, the time she takes with her ult voice line, which can’t fit with valkirie): added counterplay
3- SR fixing: as even some pros admitted, hide and rez was only a thing because of the huge SR boost it received, so it was incredibly rewarded, so no more reward for huge rezzes, no more SR boost, no more climbing, no more hide and rez.
4- Decay system with a high cap to avoid both hide and rez and hide until rez is gone: This way, the majority of the Mercys (those who played engaging and keeping everyone alive, using rez only as a last resource) could have their ult when they wanted. However, a hiding and passive Mercy would have to deal with a 1vs6 duel which she surely would loose.

There are only examples, I’m not saying that they are the best solutions, but they can show how ridiculously easy was it to fix mass rez compared to bring two bad desings from the past and hope to balance them when it’s just impossible without contradicting the character. Current design is fundamentally flawed, and that’s a huge problem. Old one wasn’t, it had exploits, and that’s a problem, yes, but it’s not an excuse for a rework.

Turning an almost perfectly balanced character into an op monster with an ez mode ultimate that lowers her skill ceiling to the floor and an E rez that breaks her own game, contradicting her own nature as a mobile support and both forcing her to disengage and even to hide all the time, causing around half a year of must pick Mercy and all the time very highly picked, and now almost hitting the 100% again?

No, sorry. That’s not a good answer for nothing, that’s the worst fudge ever seen in a game, because they made the same mistakes twice and they hoped different results. That’s ridiculous. Yes, Mercy needed an E ability because her power was too condensed in her ultimate, and it had some exploits. Two lesser problems. Also, people wanted some additional survivality or mobility tool. Then, the solution was so easy as giving her a balanceable E ability (rez is not balanceable without contradicting Mercy as a mobile support, and that’s bad design) for mid game utility (whatever it could bring to her) and then, adjusting mass rez to that new kit, because that would require some nerfs for balance. She never needed a kind of revert to her worst past.

That won’t happen. Blizz stated that rez will always be part of her kit, and almost all her set is around it: sprays, poses, potgs, lore and even real statues like OWL’s. That would be the most unpopular idea they could choose and they should know it. Just imagine Tobjorn without his turret or Reinhardt without his shield or Dva without her mecha, or why not, I’ll go to another Blizz’s game, imagine the Lich King without his Frostmourne. They wouldn’t be the same character without those things. Why? Because they are what they make them so uniques. Blizz tried to replace mass rez with valkirie, but as it happened before, it isn’t iconic or epic or anything, it’s not even at the same level as current rez.

I honestly think that valkirie is not a real ultimate and rez will never be a real E ability, it’s unbalanceable. Also, Mercy needs to recover her fluid game, and the only way I can see to achieve that without destroying the character is to place rez again as her ult, bring her a new E ability (not rez) and balancing from that point. The rest of her current kit is fine.

Well, let’s break this down.

Yes, Mercy is the best healer now. Why? Because valkirie makes her almost free to master and incredibly easy to play. Before the rework she was the only support capable of solo healing her team, so having an ez mode button which allows you to hide or go out of range and do your work by holding a button, makes that matter incredibly easier. Also, she is the most forgiving character in the game for her own team, because she has an undo button for stupid mistakes each 30 seconds. Too powerful as an ability and self game breaking, because it forces her to stop doing her job and hide and rez.

Second. Rez never was overpowered before the rework. She had pickrates below 5% during two seasons (2 and 3) with Pharah in her highests since forever and Lucio and Ana around 85%. So saying that mass rez was overpowered is a straight lie. However, it could be true if she had an E ability back in those days. Having so much power in her ultimate was the reason of why she wasn’t picked at all at pro ranks, because once you learnt to play around her rez, she was too easy to counter.

And finally, no one will stop playing her because you and a bunch of people keep saying that “if you don’t like her now, play another hero” bs. I’ll give you some examples. Did you liked when Mercy was mandatory and you had to play her, and not pick your favourite hero because Mercy was a chore? Okay, now, do you think people like not being able to pick their favourite hero because it is bad design (remember that valk and current rez’s mechanic were removed for that reason before game’s release)? Also, your argument it’s more or less the same as the #boycottMercy hastag, and it didn’t work neither, so I don’t get why you try that.

Finally, just in case you are one of those who think we like playing an op monster. A lot of us dislike Mercy since she got reworked and some of us liked her even when she was a trol pick, so op =/= fun. I hope you could get this at least.

Mass rez was never op because it was earned, not given, and Mercy needed to think about when and how to use it. Also, she didn’t have an ez mode for doing her basics for free, so she was way harder to play and master. Anyway, if Mercy had an E ability, that would be a perfect excuse for adding counterplay or restrictions without contradicting the character’s nature.

False. It wasn’t overpowered, and indeed, without an E ability, made Mercy a bit underpowered in higher ranks, but very good for climbing because of her broken SR system. Valkirie is a fundamentally flawed concept, and that’s why it got removed and replaced by mass rez even before game’s release. Mass rez was healthier for the game than valkirie.

Well, that’s not exactly true. Why Mercy’s pickrates were growing before her rework? Do you remember what meta was that? Exactly, dive meta, and that means Genji, Tracer and Winston being everywhere in both teams, needing someone with not aimed healing. Sorry, Ana. So now, if we remember, Moira and Brigitte didn’t exist back then, so two down. Sym doesn’t heal so discarded. That leaves us with only Mercy, Lucio and Zenyatta. Sadly, these two guys can’t solo heal a team, so you have two options. You pick Mercy or you pick Lucio and Zenyatta. Here you are. That’s why Mercy was picked before her rework. It had nothing to do with her rez, but with her basics. If it had something to do with her ult, it was because people realised how easy was to exploit her SR system, and that was a real issue, but it had nothing to do with her kit.

So now, we aren’t being delusional about anything. We played with mass rez a lot and we know how powerful it was, and that’s the main reason of why it never had to be turned into an E ability. It was doomed to be too op, and I remember well that one of the arguments for people to like the rework was “Hey, you’ll rez even more now!” And we did, and now we are here.

TLDR: More threads merged here and this current design still sucks. It needs a rework for the game’s sake. Q and E are bad designs and they need to be reworked. Valkirie as an ult and E’s mechanic were better in their graves.

5 Likes