Favourite/least favourite hero?

I’m curious: Which are people’s favourite/least favourite heroes, and why? Is it because of how they play, or because of the lore and their personality? Something else? I’ll start.

• Favourite: Bastion. I just love this guy. His animated short is just pure art to me. Phenomenal storytelling and so many emotions all without a spoken word. His personality is also just adorable I think, he’s basically an innocent (albeit shell-shocked as heck) nature lover. Not to mention he’s really fun to play too imo.

• Honorable mention: Genji. His story and character development is nice, plus he’s damn fun to use in-game. His design is just top tier, even though cyber ninjas have been done before a lot. He’s my main for a reason, and the only reason he’s not my overall favourite is because he’s not as adorable as Bastion.

• Least favourite: Hanzo, by a country mile. There’s literally nothing about this guy I like even a little. Personality? Extremely unlikeable and hypocritical (so you’re appearantly so sad that you killed your brother, yet when you learn he’s alive you treat him like trash?), especially since he won’t shut up about how skilled and cool he is. In-game? Ludicrously frustrating to fight against with all his random one-shots from across the map, plus really boring to play with imo. Design? Boring and cliche. I don’t care how hot people think he is, he just looks boring to me.

• Dishonorable mention: D.va. I’m really not a fan of the “cute gamer girl” stereotype, so D.va was never gonna work for me. Her constant gamer lingo just hurts my ears, and while the “true” persona we’ve seen in her short and a comic or two is better imo it’s still a bit basic I feel. At least she’s fun to play with, so unlike Hanzo she has a saving grace.

But that’s just me. What about you?

1 Like

Favorite hands down lucio love wall riding and his personality.

Least Favorite moira her game play is so boring and shes got no utility just heals and the best way to heal is dumb and not fun also her personality rubs me the wrong way

1 Like

Fav to play: Ball
iwannagofast and Ball needs a lot of game sense. You can use your brain to flex on people while tanking, playing individually if needed, controlling and holding space forever, and sometimes you get to relax/chill in the firey breeze of your own making. Boop offs and runovers are satisfying. He does generally require a team who understands and or respects what you’re doing though, and can capitalize while you’re doing it. In that way he’s team-oriented.

Least: MCass, I think.
Sold to be a skillful hitscan hero, he’s always been handed things on a golden platter. Barely has a kit, crits/gun does too much damage if you’re gonna add in things like Flash and FTH. Roll is quite stupid. His ult is a joke/buggy. Flash was extremely buggy. Mag Grenade is almost worse at its current damage/seeking. I hate designs that get to be strong mid-range and burst short-range at the same time, esp if they can crit (Hanzo, too). If you want this game to have glass cannons, don’t forget to make them out of glass.

1 Like

Mhhhhhhhhhhhh i’m a bit biased.

• Favourite: Zen. I adore his mysterious aura and the overall omnic lore there is in the game, how they gained consciousness, became their own beings and some were as far as to reflect on life itself in Nepal, like Ram. One even managed to become the next Ghandi, in more ways than one lets say.

Zen is funny when needed, threatening when needed, adorable when needed, knowledgable when needed and all of that comes from someone who is wise and has more deepness to the things he says, not to mention the VA is amazing.

I love his gameplay, the sound design and voicelines.

• Least favourite: eeeehh Sojourn, gameplay-wise she’s aight. Personally i like the apex like slide and superjump, but as for character itself it is really lacking, she’s quite literally an ex-OW who we knew nothing about that just came back for the sequel, even if they had it planned out from the beggining. I like her voice yet her actual voicelines not so much.

• Honorable mention: Sigma, without a doubt. This guy is absolutely amazing, the team who did the design, the backstory and his abilities really made something special here. Ohh and the VA, so so so so fitting it is scary. Every single one of his voicelines are brilliant, funny and smart and scary and worrying and sad and amazing at the same time. Not to mention THE MELODYY is an absolute incredible, both as a musical piece and how they managed to connect it to the character. Just amazing.

• Dishonorable mention: Hanzo. NOT because i hate him, i actually love the gruff tragic samurai story, his design is on fricking point (his default for the sequel is the definition of fire), the VAs voice is so edgy i love it and the bow and arrow gameplay (while feeling slow) it just ticks the right spot because no matter how many cool guns you got, you can’t beat the satisfaction of the OG.

What i mean by dishonorable no pun intended, is the lack of lore when it comes to him, he can’t keep repeating the same things when officially when it comes to him, we are at a standstill in hanamura where he fought Genji, no changes to the character whatsoever. I think they are wasting the time to pull a “reluctant gruff dad/brother” twist. It’d bring a new light to the character not to mention it makes sense yknow? After meeting Genji again after a long time he listens to his brother and starts acting on the injustice that there is or perhaps brings down the Shimada empire that was built on destruction and death, by doing that he comes across a victim of the crossfire who lost every thing and the kid reminds him of his brother and the guilt he has annnd you know where i’m going.

2 Likes

I think I’ve replied to a similar thread before in the general forum, but given that this section of the forums is my regular stomping ground I guess I’d better keep up appearances.

• Favorite: Bastion. You hit the nail on the head OP, Bastion is probably one of the best characters they ever made. His cinematic is amazing, his comic appearance is interesting and his gameplay is crisp even if he isn’t a meta god slaying machine like some of the other heroes in the roster.

• Honorable mention: Soldier: 76. He doesn’t clinch it quite yet, but 76 is a character with a decent amount of promise going forwards in the story assuming they don’t mess up what seems to be a fairly straightforward execution of a classic story arc. Plus, who doesn’t love a bit of classic FPS combat every now and then?

• Least Favorite: Kiriko might be cheating given that I have yet to meet a single person who likes her without a caveat for her cinematic (that I think is highly overrated anyway, fight me), but god damn did they fumble the execution with her character on every level besides gameplay. An inconsistent age, violating long established rules of the OW universe, her forcible insertion into one of the more interesting character dynamics in the game and a generally poorly overseen audio performance that makes her extra grating to listen to. You could leave me here for hours and I could pick holes in her. Awful character. I hope whoever wrote her gets a firm talking to about the basics of storytelling before they get let loose on any of the other characters.

• Dishonourable mention: Sojourn. How they managed to write a whole novel around this character and end up with her being only marginally less boring that she was without it blows my mind. If Sojourn was a spice, she would be flour. I have genuinely forgotten she exists on some occasions, and a forgettable character is sometimes worse than a bad one.

2 Likes

Mei is my favorite, character and gameplay wise.
She is really fun, I have a soft spot for ice themed characters, and I love her personality, she is optimistic even with everything that has happened to her.

Least favorite to play is Reinhardt, I just don’t know what I’m doing with him. Lore wise it is probably… oh jeez this is a difficult one actually.
I guess Sojourn? From what we know so far, her story is just a little basic, hopefully she gets some cool lore updates in the future.

1 Like

My answers change depending on if we go by lore or by the game, so I’ll give both answers:

• Favorite (Lore): Sigma.
    What a fascinating man! His story is tragic and triumphant, the glory and danger of science combined and distilled into a unique essence. He’s very much someone I hope to see redeemed.

• Least Favorite (Lore): Ashe.
    There’s not a whole lot to say with her, and that’s what makes her my least favorite (but not someone I dislike!).

• Favorite (Gameplay): Mercy.
    I’m a Mercy main to my core (pending the possible release of Overlord), and I adore her playstyle. I enjoy being supportive, hanging back, and making sure my allies are healthy and my DPS emboldened to take action. I also really love the feeling of a clutch Rez that wins a fight in overtime.

• Least Favorite (Gameplay): Widowmaker.
    I can’t aim very well, or at least, I cannot aim headshots very well. I do fine enough when the situation calls for it, but honestly, I can’t really deal with headshots on moving targets. I play stealth snipers in other games for a reason: I prefer my targets standing very still, entirely unaware that I’m around. This isn’t possible in Overwatch.

1 Like
  • Least favorite: genji, for gameplay and lore reasons. He is so booorinng…:sleeping:

In terms of lore:

• My favorite is Symmetra, always described in a good way and with a real reflective evolution of her actions.
  • Least favorite is Kiriko. But I blame the indecision there was in defining her personality. it bothered me too much that the cinematic, short story and in-game voicelines are almost completely discordant about who Kiriko is and how she relates to others.

Characters who deserve justice in being valued and who … a little less:

• Sigma deserves a lot of Lore. I was particularly annoyed that a character still so little depth has even had a redesign compared to Echio who already has “a little” more info in her background. Sigma needs to better define her point of view of her world, I don’t really like that she is trying to explain it in the least sensible and mystical way possible. I would like more flashbacks of him BEFORE the accident;
  • less lore for Tracer, sorry. Not because I dislike the character, but because after London Calling and her pointless martyrdom amidst TOO MANY major happenings to describe going on in the later parts of the saga. Just as she didn’t make much sense to put her in command position during the Havana mission during Storm Rising instead veterans as Genji or Mercy (the latter also has a vocal line that specifies it);
2 Likes

Favorite hero gameplay right now is probably D.va or brig. I just feel that I can’t get out of bad situations by playing smart. Also it feels good to beat out your counters by having good plays.

Least favorite hero. No contest…… Junk Rat. I literally hate everything about this hero. He gets rewarded for bad plays. The fact that he has two base passives just to make his kit work. He never feels good to die to. Almost always feels like a lucky kill. When you literally have other heroes in combat armor that hurt themselves but the Jean shorts master dose not!? Oh wait there is more! Let’s talk about the fact that he has not 1 but 2 mines that that not only do 100 damage but also have a knock back. Then there’s his trap because that cc is ok with the dev team but everyone else had their cc reduced if not taken out entirely. And last but certainly not least. R.I.P. Tire this D.Va bomb on a stick is completely busted. 8 seconds to place it where ever you want but if you feel like it you can blow it up right away with no harm to yourself before the warning voice line is even over. Hate hate hate this hero. Nothing else in the game makes me want to swap games more.

Ok I’m not used to forums so here goes nothing:

• Favourite Hero: Hands down Sigma, both in terms of lore and gameplay.

1. Lore: He is mentally scarred by a failed experiment that left him with permanent brain damage and gravitational superpowers. I cannot stress just how Boris Hiestand managed to deliver such a powerful performance, capturing his maniac and humble sides and balancing them perfectly.
    2. Gameplay: Sigma is the ultimate mitigating machine, a tank’s main job is to protect their teammates, and Sigma’s shield and grasp abilities help in defending enemy attacks. His primary fire is also powerful despite the limited range, rock is good from halting moving targets and finishing them off, and his ultimate oh my god what a satisfying feeling of destroying squishies with his ultimate.
  • Honourable Mentions: Baptiste, Kiriko, Genji, Ramattra, Cassidy, Pharah and Reaper.

• Least Favourite Hero: Mainly heroes that are annoying AF in-game, but if I had to pick one then it has to be Zarya. Now I suck terribly at Zarya, and usually so does our teammate tank; but the enemy Zarya you bet your butt she will make you lose hope in the entire game altogether. An enemy Zarya is virtually unkillable and when enemy tank switches to her they will almost always come out on top.

• Dishonourable Mentions: Roadhog, Symmetra, Torb, Moira, Junkrat and Bastion.

1 Like

My favorite hero is actually Kiriko, which is funny to me now because I didn’t know how much everyone seemed to have issues with her until I started reading through these forums just today. Personally, I don’t have any problems with her or her lore or anything, other than the fact that she’s just super isolated from almost everyone else and their storylines, but I think she’s cool and I like her gameplay.

My least favorite is easily Moira. I don’t think I’ve ever played as her outside of Mystery Heroes, if even, and I think her character is cool, but I absolutely cannot play against her to save my life. Maybe I’m just trash but the fact that she can continue damaging you from unreasonably far away for someone who doesn’t have to aim and just has to follow you, while simultaneously being nearly impossible to outrun with most characters, plus her obnoxious orb things…I just die hopelessly every time. She’s for sure my kryptonite any time I have to play against one.

Favourite:
Symmetra - I like the concept of using light to create entire cities
Sigma - Because he is a cientist.
Least favourite:
genji - he os so booorinng…zzzz