Fan the Hammer buff - feedback from a McCree main

Big of you to say, and I completely agree. If we can adjust heroes without making them rage magnets, that’s probably better lol.

It gives him more damage, how is that not positive? What the poor skilled community does with the changes should have little to do with the hero balance itself.

I’m focused on the hero itself. Not how the lowest skilled players who pick heros you don’t want them to pick (sounds like you had a game or two where someone took “your” hero and you felt you coulda done more.

Another reason I’m all for this is the flash-headshot combo is 100% latency dependent. With a 60-70 ping, the target is already moving long before I can aim for a headshot. It made McCree almost unplayable for me when most hitscan are just fine.

2 Likes

Huh that’s interesting. I could totally see that. Was it the right answer I dunno, but that definitely gives me more to think about.

I think it was made to help against Doomfist, but there won’t be many Doomfist’s to use it against anymore.

I play on 90 ms and I have no problem hitting players while they are stunned. Perhaps you’re just slower than you think?

It does not do so in a healthy manner, especially considering the context of his kit, which consists of a pocket stun that ensures the target takes the full brunt of FtH, and an insta-reload (two, really) to double the amount of damage the target takes with little counterplay. Brig and Doomfist were literally just nerfed because of their access to high damage (Brig less so, but SB also lead to problematic interactions like stunshatter) combos wherein the target has little to no agency of stopping it themselves… and then they buff another one. The fact that said combo is also the most accessible thing in his kit is icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.

The ability was originally nerfed because it signed tanks to death and I generally agreed with that.

Also nah, I haven’t played the game in a couple of weeks, and anyway I have this game on an NVMe so I can generally get what hero I want to play as long as I’m paying attention. (Plus, very few people actually play McCree in the current state of the game. Gotta GOATs it up.)

Yeah. I want McCree to be good but not for reasons that tilt people off the face of the planet.

I feel similarly with Deadeye, thematically it is cool as hell but once you strip past the “respawn button” memes it is essentially a teamwide oneshot with infinite range. If it were more reliable or left McCree less vulnerable it would be one of the top 3 most hated ults in the game.

2 Likes

Do you go for the fan or headshots? I can still fan them. Usually.

I play on 50-60 usually, and I can pretty consistently get them. Cannot speak for higher, though.

Headshots 99% of the time.

Close up? I always thought he was better at mid-range. Never considered McCree a close range fighter.

The skill is in getting the flashbang at all, sir.

Damage is always good. I still feel Hanzo is overpowered though; McCree needs all the help he can get.

This is a great post that really takes into account a McCree main’s POV while balancing it against people who don’t play McCree (like your example of how unfun a flashbang + fan the hammer affects DPS players and also exemplifying how that’s unfun for the McCree player herself/himself).

I hope Blizzard takes attention of this.

2 Likes

Have to agree on this sadly I wanted mccree buffed but not like this buff ult or give him more mobility or something I mean me personally I don’t use fth to get kills I only use it for barrier break
But idk it’s wired.

1 Like

McCree has always been most deadly within flash bang range. He’s a character you have to respect his personal space. He’s also great at mid range. He’s a character you want protecting your back line a lot of the time. Play FFA a while where McCree is the most popular pick, you’ll learn very quickly what his most deadly range is.

The outcome is the same either way being flash banged is usually death for a 200 hp hero. Even if he flubs the aimed shots you’d be at such a health disadvantage you’re dead anyway. Buffing FtH was a fine buff he needs more tank and shield killing power and that’s exactly what it does.

It also gives his kit more consistency which is always a problem with hitscan heroes. They’ll pop off and get 3 kills then be worthless for 2 minutes.

Huh? Hitscan is the most reliable method of damage application in the game. Projectiles are a million times less reliable because they can be dodged with good movement. There is a reason that projectile DPS heroes are either close range, AoE, or Hanzo.

McCree’s issue was never consistency, it’s that he vaporizes if more than one person looks at him.

At the moment I find it too strong in deathmatch, but we will have to see how it goes in the long run.

Fan the Hammer even with the buffed version is still more fair than Hanzo’s spam storm arrows. The fact that it is spammable though may be problematic.

Tell that to winston or brig or even genji throwing his cone of shurikens. Things that are hard to miss are more reliable, hitscan takes pinpoint accuracy, long ranged projectiles are supposed to be less reliable than hitscan but we’re talking damage reliability then it goes to someone like winston. Soldier is more reliable than someone like mccree too he just has less burst. Tracking with constant stream of damage is more reliable in that it’s harder to get zero value out of it.

Hitscan has it’s place, but reliable stream of damage is reserved for people with the aim of a god which even pros don’t have more than 20% crit shot accuracy on widow. Slow fire rate hitscan are about burst damage not a reliable stream of it. If you miss a shot, which even pros frequently do, then you missed all that damage. Making them less reliable sources of damage but as I stated in my last post.

Yeah kinda feel the same. I wish he got some damn mobility , or AT LEAST a smaller head hitbox.