Failed to connect to server while in comp

wow, just wow blizzard.
it failed to connect to server while I was joining a comp game, then I left because nothing happened (just a black screen) and it suspended me and I lost sr

5 Likes

Everyone getting disconnected in comp & arcade too

2 Likes

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in red text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please reply saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided. Good luck!

(^^)v

A post was merged into an existing topic: EU Failed to connect to server

Me too i lost 50 Sr points. I will hope i get my Sr back!

Unfortunately penalties cannot be reversed.

“Lost Connection to Game Server” - Is a problem on your end, everyone cannot have poor internet, this something with the Blizzard servers themselves, why you don’t own up to it right away is beyond me. My internet is working fine during those disconnections, so this something on your end and the excuse that “it has no way of telling if you left versus getting disconnected” is poor excuse. That’s like Toyota saying we don’t know what’s wrong with the car when it will randomly jerk uphill. You have to figure out or don’t penalize me if this happens. I don’t understand the reasoning behind it, but this disconnection (BC-152, LC-206) errors have happened more today than ever. I’ve lost close to 120 SR, penalized close to 300 SR, so I’m not pleased with the current system.

Either fix it or get rid of it.

1 Like

Yeah I had it happen to me twice last week. -100SR. Contacted support and wouldn’t you know it. They pin the blame on me. Ofc. Over the last few days I have seen at least 12 different games with people with the same issue. Defo not Blizzards fault though.

-100SR for signing up to comp. Cheers lads.

If this continues to happen to me or if I drop into silver, I’m done with the game all together, I don’t need this headache.

There is actually a simple fix that Blizzard could implement that would fix this entirely without having to refund points.

Simply don’t have the game shut down when the matches start. The game should wait 60s to check if a game shut down is required due to leaver. The connection issue Blizzard has only logs you out for 30 seconds and you have plenty of time to rejoin. Due to the current system they make it impossible for you to rejoin the game because it shuts down instantly.

I believe that 60 seconds would be a fair compromise to at least give players a fighting chance without having their games sabotaged. In addition, 50SR loss is far too high. That’s a minimum of 2 game wins which is ridiculous.

If it stays as it is now, especially with the amount of disconnects I have seen many many players having over the last few weeks I can safely say people will simply abandon this unfair game. It’s not worth the effort. A shame because Blizzard are usually on the ball with these sorts of issues. They just don’t seem to care about Overwatch lately.

1 Like

Rejoining a game is only possible during certain phases of the game. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

Remember skill rating is not what you would consider a score, but a rating. Chances are if you truly belong at that higher skill you will eventually gain back that skill rating within a few games anyways so it really is not a big deal.

Everyone!

I recommend taking any suggestions or questions you have about the rules of the Competitive Leaveer system and post them in the Competitive Discussion forum. Remember this forum is for resolving any technical problems anyone is actively having. By posting in the discussion forums, this can be constructively debated and even reviewed by the development team. The Overwatch Development Team DOES NOT use the Technical Support forum to track feedback about the features, rules, or balance of any part of the game.