Failed to connect to server resulted in suspension from play

When joining a competitive match, it displayed a “failure to connect to server” message and I was not able to join the match. Sent back to menus, I found that the match had been cancelled and I was suspended from competitive play. I don’t think it’s fair that a problem with Overwatch’s servers is now a derogatory mark on my competitive record (I was in placements and received a loss for this match).

6 Likes

Same just happened to me. Like wtf

And what is more aggrivating is that the won’t correct the sr, even if it is their own fault. Which is bs. How is it my fault your server is down?

Same thing happened to me too. Lost fifty SR and got suspended because of it.

Same thing also happened to my buddy Fujin#1831. We were in a 6-man comp stack and were undefeated all night, but the game booted him out immediately at character select and he couldn’t get back in. Happened at pretty much the exact time it happened to you. The game ended and he got a “leave” and -75 SR. :confused:

A few of us in our group saw other people talking about this issue in local chat right around the same time, so it’s definitely a serverside issue. @Blizz can you rollback those leaves on the people affected?

I’ve known him for 15 years and he’s one of the most chill dudes in the world. He would never leave a game early no matter how bad it got, and I’d be really upset if he ended up with a blemish on his record for something like this. #JusticeForFujin

Same just happened to me… Lost 50 sr and 10 min suspension. The prior two games my voice chat stopped working. I should have taken that as a sign.

I am that Fujin mentioned by Fjyrin.

My first problem happened when I switched characters from Orisa to D.Va in the final moment of a competitive match. My screen turned black with an overwatch loading logo at the bottom right corner. My team was still voice chatting with me and some other player that wasn’t in my match was complaining in a white chat (presumably the game’s starting menu screen) about being stuck in loading as well.

Afterwards, I restarted my game and it got stuck on a loop claiming failed to connect to server. Restarted again and successfully rejoined the group. It did not allow me into the voice chat channel and listed myself as muted. I restarted my entire computer this time and successfully rejoined my group with voice chat enabled.

The game displayed some sort of “failed to connect to game” error message while I was still in my group’s voice chat. They already successfully loaded into the game after selecting characters, but I was still in the main start screen of OW. The PLAY button was replaced with “REJOIN GAME,” but clicking that did nothing.

I restarted my game and my record was updated to show a loss (possibly a leave, as well, which I’ve never done in my entire time on OW) and around -75 SR loss. This may have a negative effect on my record that could result in a ban from competitive is what I’m worried about.

Same happened to me. I’m hardwired and never had a disconnect. Tonight I played a couple competitive games then the next one just got stuck on the main screen where it says rejoin game and “failed to connect to server”… Got banned for 8 minutes, lost 40SR. Won the next match, and then the same bug happened with the following match. Now banned for 30 minutes and I don’t even want to see how much SR was taken off. Lost all my progress from yesterday, and was so close to hitting platinum again. I’m so pissed.

1 Like

I was removed from an Overwatch comp match tonight approximately an hour and 15 minutes before this post. I was playing Bastion and we were in round 3 on Junkertown. I was in the middle of leftclick murdering the enemy Bastion trying to reposition behind the cart, and bam. Black screen.

I could not do anything at all with the game, and was forced to restart the client. Before restarting, I was given the error it could not connect to the server. After getting back to the main menu (in which I could log in just fine) it would not allow me to join the game in progress and kept telling me the client could not connect to the server every attempt.

My friends list is also extremely, extremely slow to load in-game and I still cannot connect to any web services through the Blizzard launcher.

(didn’t mean to respond to you I just clicked the first reply button I saw)

Same problem here. I was in a duo with a friend and had many games when the server just doesn’t let me join the game, even when my friend can. The weird part is that I can still talk with him and read the game and team chat of that game, my team actually see me there as Im just waiting to select my hero. After I was kicked of a comp game, and receaving a really unfair penalty for that (I was actually connected to the game), we tryed quick play and different arcades after I restarted everything. The same problem appeared from time to time.

I really hope Blizzard can fix this and at least take considerations for players who are unfairly punished. I googled this topic and since 2016 this bug exist and people is this being punished for something they can’t control.

same it put me back in bronze. Jeff please fix this

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in yellow text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please start your own topic in the technical support forum (and not here in the bug report forum) saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided.

Well the thing is, out network works pretty fine.

it's been a while me and my friend are trying to play the game but we can't even join the server. so we have to leave and start again. I don't mind the penalties but it is very annoying and frustrating.

We would be very Grateful if you guys fix this problem

Please be advised that you are necrobumping a 2 month old post and your issue is not likely to be the same as that of the original poster. Please follow my instructions above and if you completed the troubleshooting that I have linked, post in the technical support forum, not here in the Bug Report forum.

ive got same problem and wasted my 50 points. :C

Penalties always apply for disconnections (see my post above).

Same happened for me and I lost about 150 SR and got double penalty (9 and 28 mins).
I had failed to connect to the server while still in voice chat with my friend even before starting the hero selection.

I am so pissed off…

Still happening almost a full year later and still no attempt to fix from overwatch :slight_smile: only game that has this issue that I know about. Makes it very frustrating trying to climb