Extremely low FPS for the first 5 minutes?

I recently switched to AMD RX 6700 XT (from RTX 3060) and ever since I started experiencing a weird issue happening only in Overwatch 2.

Every time I launch the game, it feels like it’s loading shaders or something, as my CPU usage shoots up to 100% and the FPS drops to between 40-70 for the first 5 minutes, in the meantime GPU usage is literally 0. After that it gets back to the normal 600.

MSI Z590 GAMING PLUS
Intel i5 10600k
RX 6700 XT MSI MECH
Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz XMP
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500GB

No overclocking, fresh Windows 10 install, all default drivers.
This only happens in Overwatch, other games run fine.
Using DDU and installing the latest (or ANY!) WHQL Recommended driver makes it worse.
The issue isn’t present when I switch to my RTX 3060.

Please help, thank you!

1 Like

your issues probably the default drivers not being the absolute latest

you can always right click my computer go to properties select device manager and see all the drivers you are missing from the manufacturer site

msi live update 6 is needed as i use it for a msi x299 gaming pro carbon ac motherboard

same goes for amd video drivers update

Really good choice switching to AMD from Nvidia! You can now enjoy terrible drivers and lots of problems in games, you never ever had! Here’s your first experience in OW2. After you update your driver, you’ll have to wait some minutes to pre-load OW or something like that. It happened in OW1, and OW2 too. Until that happens, it will stutter like crazy. I never understood this. It’s a complete joke, that my wife’s 1050ti never has this problem after driver updates, but I do with my AMD card. I have to use DDU in safe mode to update, and to not get blue screens, black screens, stutters, freezes, random glitches etc. while she just presses “update driver” in Nvidia control panel and that’s all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.