Extreme memory leak since last update

Hi! So since the last update I’ve been experiencing a high use of my RAM memory when playing overwatch 2. I have 8GB of ram, and the game is consuming it all, reaching between 7900Mb-8020Mb (I’ve been monitoring with msi afterburner).

I belive that’s a memory leak issue since I close everything on my computer before playing the game + the task manager always says Overwatch is using almost 100% of my ram memory. I’ve tested other games like fortnite, the sims, dead by daylight, but they are all running normal without any memory leak.

My specs are: I5-7200U, NVDIA 920MX, 8GB RAM.

1.my laptopt isn’t overheating;
2.my specs are enough to play overwatch (since i played it before normally).

2 Likes

Since that GPU falls below the minimum requirements in terms of performance, it’s probably borrowing some RAM to run Overwatch.

The minimum nVidia GPU performs almost 2x better than the 920MX.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/3520vs2513/GeForce-920MX-vs-GeForce-GTX-645

If I upgrade my RAM memory to 16gb will it run better?

Not sure, since you’d still have the same GPU.

1 Like

I have the same problem! I’ve only encountered this when season 10 came out. Before, it’s perfectly normal.

My specs: Ryzen 5 4600g, Rx 6600, 16 gb ram 3200mhz

-Already updated my drivers
-Tried reinstalling the game
-Did Scan and repair
-Lower the graphics
-close all the background apps

And still it has memory leak:< My game sometimes stutters bcs of high memory usage

2 Likes

I knew it had nothing to do with my RAM once u have 2x more than I.
I haven’t fixed it yet, but i’ve already done before all those things u mentioned

1 Like

I noticed that an MVP suggested that your NVIDIA 920MX might be borrowing memory from your system. Just to clarify, that’s not the case. The NVIDIA 920MX is a dedicated GPU with its own onboard memory. Unlike integrated graphics that use system RAM, dedicated GPUs like the 920MX have their own VRAM and do not borrow from the system’s memory.

It’s important to differentiate between dedicated and integrated graphics when discussing memory usage. Integrated GPUs, such as those in some Intel processors, do share system RAM, but that’s not relevant to your NVIDIA 920MX. The GPU’s VRAM is independent and specifically designed to handle graphics tasks without relying on your system’s RAM.

I hope this clears up the misunderstanding. It’s crucial to provide accurate information, especially in a community where many users rely on advice to troubleshoot their issues.

Best regards.

have u updated your gpu drivers to either 555.85 or 555.99? If so, you should try rolling back to 552.44. There have been reports of (especially 555.85) using a lot more RAM than previous drivers (plus stuttering/lag etc), and if you watch videos comparing driver versions on youtube you can see the numbers for yourself.

If you don’t have either of those drivers installed then I got nothing lol sorry.

dedicated GPUs like the 920MX have their own VRAM and do not borrow from the system’s memory.

Until they run out. They can rely on shared memory/processing power if enough is available per Windows (like this case). Additionally, depending on the version of DirectX, the CPU may be dedicating resources to assist the GPU. High-end cards will rarely exhibit this behavior.

I hope this clears up the misunderstanding. It’s crucial to provide accurate information, especially in a community where many users rely on advice to troubleshoot their issues.

OK, after doing some research I do stand corrected - it turns out that this can actually happen!

The problem is, when it does, your GPU will run even worse, because it doesn’t have direct access to system RAM and will have to go through the CPU. Thus adding extra CPU cycles to the mix also, and causing you further issues!

Sorry, Nicole. You were right.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.