Experimental - Triple Damage Feedback Thread

It was bad enough before with 2/6 people going wherever they wanted, but now there are 3 yay!!
But seriously this gamemode feels so arcady (and so old-quickplay-ish), is too focused on dps: good widows will be op
The pressure on the tank player is like being down in the Marianna trench with nothing but a pair of swimming goggles.
In my opinion it would be better to keep the current gamemode and adjust it in such a way that dps players are able to have fun playing other roles.

1 Like

Hello, is my first time posting here.
I want to expose my opinion about 1-3-2
I think is frustrating be a Tank, a lot of bullets over you. Same for Healer, is a lot of damage and can be stressfull.
In my opinion the solution for the DPS queue and the Meta is move all OffTanks to DPS group. When some player select a OffTank the others automatically will be canceled. In this case you can play with 2 tanks or with 3 dps, depend of your team, and same in the other team.
I think this is good for 3 reasons:

1. Dps queue in theory will be quickly
  2. Your team always have a main tank
  3. More changes for meta game, playing 2-2-2 or 1-3-2

Their trying something new. hence why it’s an experiment. The more they get to test out new things. the more they can improve the regular game. this is them trying to fix the game, the fact you don’t seem to understand that confuses me.

1 Like

My experience playing Tank and Support:

Tank: Everything is on you. You aren’t allowed to make any mistakes and you have to be both the front line and the peel. Nobody is there for you unless you have something like a Mei to icewall and give you a little respite. D.va feels really bad. Zarya feels alright to overpowered. Any shield tank feels both needed and on farm status at the same time; your shield just doesn’t last under the assault of 3 dps and breaks almost immediately. Super long queue times so I ended up dropping out of it as I didn’t want to wait 10+ minutes to get into a match. You basically traded DPS and Tank queue times.

Support: Outside of Mercy and Lucio which felt alright, all the other supports are just BAD. You’re constantly dealing with a split team that you can’t effectively heal AND on near farm status to any of the 3 snipers or flankers who you have almost no counterplay against because of the lack of tank cover / peel. Would likely require a redesign of basically every support to have more self sustain / easier heal output on a spread team.

Other notes: Mei, like on live, is borderline a must for the space she provides. She also single handedly puts a character like D.va into the trash bin. Defense Matrix would need to block EVERYTHING including beams and freeze if you want her to be a main tank.

Snipers would need to be toned down as they basically have free reign without barriers to worry about.

1 Like

Just wanna give my feedback because most of not all comments here seem to be the vocal people who are against it.

I’ve been having a lot of fun playing this mode. And that is taking into account that is mostly quick play and not comp. I still would like to see more team play, but I can only assume it would be better for me, since I like the competitive aspect of the game. It feels a lot more like a shooter than a moba now. Things actually die even if tanks feel distinctly harder to kill (as tanks should be).

It might be too early to tell because it has only been one day but I’m loving it altogether.

I think the majority of negative feedback is due to expectations. I see a lot of tank and support players that entered the game thinking it would work like normal overwatch but worse. It obviously isn’t. People will have to relearn how to play the game and the expectations of doing things that work on live and failing are generating a lot of hate to this mode.

You can’t compare things to live, it’s basically an entirely different overwatch. There’s a lot more damage so you have to take that into account. Positioning matters more and it’s a lot easier to catch yourself feeding because it’s a lot harder for your teammates to bail you out. I think this is the major reason people have been having a bad time in this game, your mistakes matter more and for a competitive player like me, I’m all for it.

To address some of the complaints and showcase why they are a matter of expectations:

I see tank tank players complaining that they have to babysit their team instead of diving the backline. The thing is tho: that’s what tanks should do. Tanks keep the teammates alive and the best tanks are the ones who understand that their team depends on that. If you get away on live doing that is because the other tank is doing the that for you. Play a flanker dps, you feel more at home.

I see support players saying they can’t keep up with heals. But you don’t have to. Don’t blame yourself if you can’t heal as much as you can on live, it’s ok, there’s a lot more damage. It’s a shooter, some people are gonna die. I understand, people will be asking for heals and blaming you when you can’t bail them out of a feed, but they always did and always will. A sup’s job here it’s to identify where a heal will make the most impact towards a team fight win.

Also, remember that this isn’t comp and the match making is a lot broader. I’ve seen silvers playing in low diamond games. You gotta just gg next when that happens :confused:

WITH THAT SAID I agree with a lot of complaints about heroes being unbalanced (granted, I expected this, because the game has been balanced towards 222 during its entire lifespan). If this was to be implemented, a lot more heroes would have to be tweaked/reworked. Here’s a few things I noticed for the blizzard folks to think about:

DPS:

• Mei is very powerful against anything but zarya, because less abilities to stop freezing. Maybe remove multifreeze again?
  • Pharah is incredibly vulnerable now that people can pick 3 hitscan. On top of that, less damage mitigation and less heals overall because single target heals have to focus everyone else make her very bottom tier.
  • Sombra hacking a solo tank usually wins the fight. Now I don’t really have a suggestion here, this might be a big problem for the balancing team.
  • Cree and sym feel a little too vulnerable. Now, I don’t think they’re bad, but I have a feeling that the meta would steer away from them and more towards dps that have a “nop, I’m out” ability.
  • There is a TON of ults. People are charging ults like crazy. Increase ult costs across the board, please.

TANKS:

• Hog is still a huge ult battery for the enemy team and has a bit of trouble creating space. If he’s going to take damage like crazy, I’d at least increase his damage too.
  • I’m not a tank player so I can’t comment much on other tanks, but I feel like Rein and Zarya are top tier, Dva is high tier and people really shouldn’t play anything else because it feels very underpowered when compared to the others.

SUPS

• Brig is basically useless against poke when she can’t proc inspire, so she might as well be converted to a tank that heals
  • Zen can’t heal enough pre and during fights. Maybe he should be converted to dps or given more harmony orbs to spread out.

Phew, that was a lot of words. If you read my post until here, I hope you have a nice day and someone gives you a cookie.

1 Like

My thoughts on the Overwatch experimental changes!
Contents:

1. queue times.
  2. tank Changes.
  3. Other ideas instead of a set 1-3-2 queue.

Experimental is now live, allowing players to try new balance updates, rulesets, and game modes that might be awesome or might not ever make it past the “Experimental” stage. One of the primary uses for this testing ground is for players to provide feedback for wild changes to the standard game you’re used to playing. For more information on this new mode, see our patch notes !

1. queue times.
The whole point of the overwatch dev team to switch the role queue from a 2-2-2 to a 1-3-2 is becuase of the long “<10mins” queues that come along with playing dps and that dps players have been complaining about since launch of the role queue system. Okay heres an example, your queuing up for dps in normal quick play the estimated time underneath says "< 6 mins " compared to tanks " < 2 mins " and supports " < 2 mins " and this isnt just a full guess in fact if your a dps main you probably have tried playing tank or support once or twice and realised how short the queues are. so why does the overwatch team want to possibly introduce another system for role queue, well in my opinion having longer queue times does make you more distracted, less focus and less ready to play, whilst if you play support you get into a game in 30-90 seconds and your not going to tab out to play another game or watch a 12 min youtube video you are going to stay in the game and be focused and ready to play your best. This is why the dev team introduced the “while you wait” system, 2/3 of the player base plays dps and this is apparent with how short the queue times are in the experimental mode, from “< 10mins” to just “< 2 mins” really does show how many people play and pick dps. But before we get ahead of ourselfs and congratulating the overwatch team for making damage queues 4 mins shorter, think of what is about to happen to the tank queue times, its been apparent only one day after the launch of the experimental mode that tank queues have swapped from “< 2mins” to “< 6 mins” with one tweak tank queue times have become longer and having the balance changes to all tanks at the same time as this makes the rest of the team to heavily rely on this one tank, double shield meta gone… but now theres a higher chance of damage players and support players dying more often (especially on defence) because of the lack of shields, now thats where the updates and balance to the tanks come to play.
Heres the main point im trying to get to, in the perfect world 1/3 of the player base would play tank, 1/3 play damage and the other third play support, but thats not going to happen without huge nerfs or changes to dps heros, and buffs or additions of more heros to tank and support!
2. tank changes!
Now theres lots to talk about, these balance updates to the tank roster are great and make the fluidity of playing a tank better, but the whole point of them is so shields can be a reliable way to protect your team, changing the speed of regeneration and the overall heath of the sheilds and even the overall heath and armour to the tanks making them better “body blocking” heros to save the team. Now most heros just got a couple changes but the big big one is roadhog, having his “take a breather” ability heal 25hp/s in a range just smaller than lucios “cross fade range”, this extra healing makes team fights more interesting because before when you killed the enemies supports you won the team fight, but now that roadhog can heal all 3 dps players at 25hp/s in a range just smaller than lucios which does a bit more than half of that at only 16hp/s. Now this isnt going to sustain 4 players against ults like, molten core, blizzard or any high damage ults, But we need to rember this will add a tiny bit more complexity for when you should use hogs take a breather as now it can heal allies as well as yourself. I think the tank changes are great but the fact dva can hold her defence matrix for 4 seconds scares the living hell out of most mcree, mei, zaria and bastion players.
3. other ideas instead of a set role queue.
Ive been thinking of something like this after they announce season 21’s hero pool and season 19’s map pool to have a role pool, let me explain quickly.
Having a switched role every week or fortnight, so lets say today its 2-3-1 and in a fortnight its 1-2-3, but keeping damage above 1 so 2 or 3. This idea may be stupid but having something like role pool plus a hero pool with differentiate the comps and meta that you play each week even more than just having a hero pool.

Conclusion of the 25th February Experimental Mode.
Personally I dont really care about queue times that much, but what i do know is if im picking damage to play quick or competitive play i know im going to be there for 6+ mins, and about the tank changes i think they are great and very useful, but way to overpowered with 2 tanks but since there are only 1 its great.

I cant wait to see what the overwatch team has for us to test and experiment with in the future.
- TheClaySlay

1 Like

Tank queues are this long because players want to try out the tank changes and there’s no other game mode to do so. It will go down.

2 Likes

i think its pretty cool mod i love it the que times ( so far) are great having 3 dps is awesome in case someone is slacking which is not that good in anycase but in 1-3-2 is surely better cuz you have 2 more dps to pick up the phase love the tanks although zarya and dva are really overpowered and could use some of jeff’s love like you destroyed hanzo and reaper is also unplayble since ever (too much spread cant hit anything even in point blank distance and the closer you get to do dmg the easier to counter and kill you unless you play in gold and bellow you guys really need to reduce the spread not the pattern randomizer like you already did , cuz that one didnt help almost at all) however there are some issues in my opinion , some comps are really frustrating to deal with and make the game not fun and straight up toxic , things like pharah+mei+briggite+bastion , most of the games i played so far had atleast 3 of these heroes at the same time making the game more tryhard even than ranked also keep in mind for the last 3 years we only see mei getting buffed which resulted to this annoying hero we have today mei needs huge nerfs or rework , i dont see the reason having every 5 seconts walls ( i know its 5 only if u dont destroy the wall ) but lets be real noone destroyes the wall, everybody ignores it please fix mei and the game will be actually fun to play , isnt this supposed to be the whole idea ? games arent supposed to be fun to play ? why overwatch isnt? thanks for your time reading it i hope u keep this in the back of your head greetings from greece. and give hanzo his BOW back, i feel like im shooting rocks with a sling and its not fun anymore

You guys need to nerf RoadHog honestly it not even fun anymore and buff Healer they are getting way to push with no health … d.va is completly useless now , its not even a tank anymore… you guys should work on that… buff her lifes idk… sigma is ok … reinhart need more shield duration… and for god sake IF theres is 1 tanks ONLY BUFF SOME HEALER , The Life they give , THAT NOT ENOUGH ,

Hope this will help . That what i think anyway !

THANK YOU BLIZZARD for remainding me how bad this game was before 2 2 2.
Before 222 you had 3-2-1 in one of two matches

5 Likes

Have not read all ~500 posts, but following are some comments from playing yesterday.

1. Gold-Platinum player here … as always, each ‘rank level’ will have its own play style, so bear that in mind.

2. Agree with comments that tank queue is higher because we all want to try out solo tanking + new tanks…but it is also reasonable that the queue times /will/ go up when you cut the viable slots in half.

3. DPS times are down, relatively speaking, but it is also just on the Experimental Card…so who knows.

4. Solo tanking at low levels where people don’t group up or ‘help’ as much is frustrating much of the time. You can clearly tell in games where you have support (and I don’t mean just healers keeping an eye on you) and those that you don’t. If all your dps ignore you, chances are you either have to play like a DPS (and make almost no space) or you will die a quick and horrible death.

5. Saw lots of DVa, Hog, and Rein … two sigma’s, one that just got melted over and over again, and a few Zarya’s. Have yet to see a solo Hammond (did see a solo Winston late in a match that actually worked out well … another, not so much). Triple DPS against a dive tank = ouch!

6. Healers are infinitely more important now… if you have a dps healer, you better hope they are killing things faster than the opponent because with all that damage coming in, healers have to be /on the spot/ or people are dead. Can’t heal dead (or stupid…).

7. Matches were still fun and still ran the range from never losing first choke/point to being steamrollered all the way to end.

8. Mei is way too OP at this rank + solo tank, as she can easily melt the enemy tank if he isn’t careful (and even if it is a 1:1 trade, you still have 2 dps left and your tank versus just 3 dps on the other side … not a good trade for the other team).

9. Rein was ‘meh’ … if he had a strong team around him, he could carry … if his dps were all flankers that ignored him, he got melted down in a hurry as he is just too slow.

Unfortunately, no solution is viable.

You leave the 222: The 321 will be unhappy.

You set up 321: The 222s will be angry.

Have you thought about a 321 Flex? Maybe that would satisfy everyone.

A 321 Flex would allow you to have the same variety of compositions as before the 222 but with a more balanced base and still be able to form a 222.

With a 321 Flex, you can have compositions like :

3 DPS, 2 Healer, 1 Tank
3 DPS, 2 Tank, 1 Healer
3 Tank, 2 Healer, 1 DPS
3 Healer, 2 Tank, 1 DPS
3 Tank, 2 DPS, 1 Healer
3 Healer, 2 DPS, 1 Tank
2 DPS, 2 Tank, 2 Healer

In addition, you could even implement in this 321 Flex the possibility to switch roles:

We start with a composition:

3 Tank, 2 Healer, 1 DPS.

In play, the Tank wants to play Healer. The composition changes:

3 Healer, 2 Tank, 1 DPS.

They change again in the 3rd round and their composition changes to 222

2 DPS, 2 Tank, 2 Healer.

This big advantage makes it possible to regain the flexibility which made the charm of Overwatch while having more exotic but effective compositions in certain cases.

Can you guys do that ? In rank if someone leave its automaticly almost a lost… lets say it 6 vs 5 , the team with 5 ppl should be able to swap character ! NO LOCK HERO ! if im a tank i should be able to go Healer…

Or something else !

Same thing ! Someone leaving we can go to the spawn and Request a switch character
Exemple = you see in the chat
= LinkOwn= Request Tank to Heal

If someone interested they go on the spawn location and we could be able to switch !

That could saves a lot of defeat if someone leave !!!

The changes can never be balanced though, that’s the issue. If you truly buffed these tanks to be more than “main” tanks, then I could see it, but that’s not what the changes were for only to make a few off-tanks “main tanks”. They didn’t buff tanks to carry as solo tanks, but as just sort-of “main tanks”.

The 3-2-1 is awful for Support mains.

you think you should be able to keep a tank alive solo as mercy, while he is being focused by 3 coordinated DPS?

thats a 3v2, and if they are coordinated and focus well they get the prize

The short queue times are nice, but the only real good thing about it for me. I just prefer 222, and would rather spend longer in queue for a match I enjoy playing more.
Some random stuff:

• Sombra is at least better with two dps teammates
  • Dislike having less defensive counterplay options. Enemy Widowmaker, Hanzo, Junkrat enrage me even more
  • tank synergies are gone, which I think is a shame
  • a decent doomfist with three-second zarya bubbles on him is a nightmare.

Well, we know most of those people should be ignored.
They’re asking for Mercy buffs as a priority for 2+ years and they changed nothing.

I suppose they should be able to filter good feedback from bad feedback after so much experience with those players. xD

Its great, it can work with some more changes to tanks-supports mainly and needs time for players to adjust to the new format especially tank players…
I love the fact i canqueue for 2-3 roles and get to play some dps finally <3

1 Like

That’s what will most probably happen:

They will get all the relevant threads and they will do a sentiment analysis on them. Sentiment analysis and natural language processing identify positive and negative words through dictionaries. Most of the ones who are against without reason use the same arguments, because there are out of realistic arguments.

Therefore, the analysis will conclude that there are non-existent problems and it will be biased.

1 Like