Experimental Mode – Hero Balance January 2021

So disappointing…

Can’t wait for more Spamzo.

3 Likes

1sec on Sigma barrier. The 2.5sec nerf is kinda dumb.

Not really.

• Melee based knockbacks (i.e. Winston Ult) can knockback a bubbled Zarya.
  • Non-Melee based knockbacks (i.e. Lucio Boop) can NOT knockback a bubbled Zarya.
1 Like

Thanks for clarifying.

I’m not sure I’m in favor of adding more HP to his barrier if they keep the stun on Accretion. D.Va eating it wouldn’t be enough of an offset for that IMO as it’d kind of force you to have to pick D.Va to slightly interfere with him. If they removed the stun for anything under 15M, I think it could be okay and offset.

Sorry, I misread. I thought you meant those heroes are exempt from knockback changes on the recipient’s end, not on the ones doing the knockback.

Glad to see changes to Sigma, but this ain’t it.

Also, where’s the Tracer nerf?

6 Likes

Ashe change is great, it requires a follow up shot to kill 200 HP heroes and the decrease in recovery shot time allows for that to be easier. She’s still powerful in her role with or without a pocket. Would push through.

Hanzo didn’t really need a buff to storm arrows, there is enough burst damage already in the game and dropping the TTK using SA doesn’t help. Supports are having a hard time as it is. Wouldn’t go through with this one.

Ball change is good, he isn’t too hard to counter but when you have a team try to press him after CC the shields were often too much and he could get away. This is enough of a nerf to force him to pick engagements and be punished when he stays too long. Would push through.

Sig is definitely a strong hero but we need a good tank in the game, the shield deployment nerf is a bit strong. 150% increase or decrease on anything is extreme, with such a steep increase in cool down a shield HP buff would be nice otherwise dropping the time to 2 seconds would be better. I wouldn’t push this through as is but in a different form.

5 Likes

Kinda hoped to see genji powershift

2 Likes

I mostly play tank,

The ball’s nerfs are fine I guess since you shouldn’t let the enemy deplete all your shields instantly anyways

I am not soo keen on Sigma nerfs tho, he had better offense than defense for the longest time, and since the tiny 700hp is getting melted instantly, you’ll be mostly flashing your barrier since you shouldn’t let it drop to 0hp anyway. For example, your shield is 100 hp, but you know enemy rein has a shatter ready, so you drop your shield, but you’re still ready to block his ultimate and let the fight continue, with this change, there’s nothing stopping rein for clicking that Q button and annihilating your SR. The change makes him more double-shield reliant than ever, and his overall gameplay will also be slowed down tremendously, while other tanks can just push, Sig would now have to wait for his precious wall to recharge, since the enemies can come at every second. I am all for encouraging working with the team but the tank role is already very team reliant, do one thing and the team will do the rest for you basically. To make this change actually work, I’d suggest increasing the health of the barrier (to 850 for example) or shortening his kinetic grasp cooldown for better self-defense (for exapmple to 9/10 seconds)

2 Likes

Disappointed in not seeing more Immortality Field changes. The drone NEEDS to be blocked by shields. Most healing is blocked by shields, Sound Barrier is blocked by shields, so why does the drone get a pass?

1 Like

Im going to just stay as Reign and Zarya shrugs

Gotta love nerfing snipers cause terrible players complain they need to think about pathing. Instead of repeatedly screwing with the core tenets of an FPS game, why not just stop hard over-designing tanks that stray so hard from the standard playstyle that they encourage horrid metas like this. Sig isn’t OP cause his shield is slightly too good, he’s broken cause his kit is more overloaded with utility than a swiss army knife warehouse. Ball isn’t a broken boring mess to play vs cause he has 100 shield per enemy, it’s because his playstyle and design create a fundamentally BORING environment for EVERYONE on both teams except the person playing him because he’s SO different from what a tank should be. The people who complain about getting one-tapped by Widow or a damage boosted Ashe are complaining that they need to think about pathing and movement in a First Person Shooter. Nothing more. Also very disappointing that amp matrix is still the size of a garage door and immo still exists. Every time a new patch comes out it blows my mind. Can you PLEASE start ACTUALLY USING the high level PROFESSIONAL players you have to balance the game instead of listening overwhelmingly to casual fans to the detriment of competitive play in your alleged esport title? Please?

why even bother with this ball “nerf”? how is 25 less shield is going to change anything?

2 Likes

There are spots where pathing doesn’t allow you to play around sightlines, you know chokes in OW are a big part of the game right? You’re going through the choke one way or the other.

Sig’s shield is an issue because flashing it allows CD blocks too easily, the 2.5 seconds is extreme but there was too much value in flashing a hook or a shatter whenever.

Matrix is much better the way it is now, it being so small left it nearly useless as the whole team would need to squeeze behind the square. It’s an ult after all and it’s supposed to be impactful. For talking about sight lines earlier you can in fact play around this one with cover.

2 Likes

Fine with Ashe nerfs. But the other changes seem a little overwhleming, not looking foward to see these on the live game.

1 Like

U are right about Hammond. I think tuning down the radius of his piledriver, and maybe even taking back the Ult change of his would lower his impact and current pickrate in high tiers.

My Thoughts on each:

Ashe: This is fine. I find the Ashe/Mercy pocket overpowered, and the description is accurate - it was a bit too annoying/dominant, especially since a Skilled Ashe can really just pop off without consequence. Widow had her “charge up” mechanic for this reason, so I support this change.

Hanzo: I do not play him much, but I feel Hanzo was strong/annoying enough, so this change is rather… odd?

Sigma: I hate this change. It makes no sense! Brutal nerf that goes against the philosophy of the game. OW is meant to be frantic, chaotic, and fast-paced. Adding significant time-nerfs to a portable shield not only ruins its function and purpose, but also slows the pacing and excitement of matches, especially when tanks have so much responsibility. The time nerf isn’t awful on its own, but there has to be some trade off here. Give it slightly more HP (like +50 or +75) if you keep the timing at this brutal 2.5 second cooldown. However, I would want this change reverted and keep the cooldown low.

Wrecking Ball: Wrecking Ball is my main tank of choice, so Im sad to see this happen, but combined with a Lucio and a well-timed Shield, Hammond could get like 1500+ HP Easily… and thats kinda nuts, I’ll admit. I am tentatively and cautiously okay with this change, I just hope it doesnt hurt him too much in-game.

Ashe: I’m not really keen on Ashe’s change, but she is not so bad. A bit funny though, to nerf her because when she is boosted, she can kill with one shot. Widow can kill with one shot without boost as a sniper. Ashe needs a boost because she’s more medium range. I think that’s the meaning of boosting.

Sigma: Come on, he is already one of the slowest tanks of all times, besides Orisa. You lowered their shields, and then you make it slower to reapply. You literally kill Sigma. His main importance in battle is his quick usage and mobility of placing his shield. The lowered shield is already a big hit to him. He is like a sitting duck. I really don’t want to leave him, but his usability is dropping fast with these changes.

Hanzo: Why would Storm arrows need a stronger impact? I think it’s strong enough as it is, it doesn’t need any change at all.

2 Likes

Usually I dont mind what you do, but this time I feel like I have to say something, because I think the Sigma change is WAAAAAAAY to dramatic. I like how you basically play Sigmas shield just for a short amount of time and then have to retract it, while you can always pull it out again to block incoming fire. I actually do like the current meta, but I think ball and sigma are still too strong rn. Instead of changing the cooldown on his barrier, Id rather see a shield with lower hp, make the rock killable or change the stun duration. I wouldnt change the cooldown however, because that would fundamentally change how play sigma and I think he does a very good job at his role, despite being op.

2 Likes

As a ball main i do agree that his survivalbility was a bit to much. But id like too see the spread of wrecking ball’s mines decrease and or shorten the activation timer

I find the Sigma nerf atrocious too.

However, I disagree with how you said they need to tend to high level professional players - just in general, if they did, they would be appealing to a small fraction of players of a huge game. Im a big player in the Smash Bros scene, and its the same story there - the “casuals” get rewarded with questionable buffs/nerfs, and although it hurts more to higher-level players, it benefits the community and flow of gameplay as a whole. I personally support the Ashe nerf. Ashe has no risk and no real commitment to making OHKO shots, unlike Widow who has to charge her shots.

I think the trade-off with Widow is that she has to charge her shots. Ashe has a trash reload-time, fine, but in game, with 12 shots per clip, an amazing Ashe could pop off with no consequence while boosted. :grimacing: Those are just my amateur thoughts.