Experiment Proving Getting Reported Places you on Forced Loss Streaks

For the record: “Our highest level philosophy is, if you are a bad person doing bad things in Overwatch, we don’t want you in Overwatch. We don’t want to create areas for you where just the bad people are in Overwatch. We just don’t want those people in Overwatch.” – Jeff Kaplan

As others have said, the experiment described is inconclusive due to insufficient data. Runs of bad games happen all the time. They don’t need an external factor other than bad luck.

I suppose I should add this to my list of popular myths.

5 Likes

Grouping up suspected throwers and marking them for downrank isn’t “creating areas where just bad people are”. That’s a different concept than having a low priority queue where both teams are filled with throwers/trolls. In fact, assuming that there’s some sort of “anti-smurf” mechanism present, having smurfs play vs suspected derankers is probably the best way to solve both problems.

Thanks for the source. People like this fall into the conspiracy theorist umbrella unfortunately, so actual evidence is unlikely to change their opinion.

I would be interested in seeing this list

Or rather than doing that without consideration, you could test it or see what results are thrown up. I won’t have a chance to try until the weekend.

I doubt it because of the vid you linked, and that I’ve seen smurf throwers hover where I’ll only be guaranteed to play against them if I avoid them.

But I’ll still test it.

I’m not sure what part of “We just don’t want those people in Overwatch” you don’t understand.

1 Like

I’m aware, but not every person with the idea of a low-priority queue is a conspiracy theorist.

How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 14) → Popular Myths.

Taking quality data is a huge time commitment, and my previous attempts to convince conspiracy theorists (which includes anyone who takes the default assumption that Jeff is lying) with data have failed. I’m not really interested in wasting my time.

2 Likes

It takes a hefty amount of reports and suspensions for someone to get permabanned. A person could ruin 50-100 games before actually being permabanned. But placing the suspected thrower on team with other suspected throwers somewhat alleviates the problem.

Either way, it’s irrelevant to my point. Which is the quote that you brought up only procludes the existence of a low-priority queue, if we assume that they’re telling the truth. It doesn’t proclude the existence of people being marked for downrank and having them play vs people marked for uprank (smurfs, boosters, etc)

I agree, that was mostly tongue and cheek

Thanks for the link :smiley:

1 Like

Try thousands of games before they ever get actioned for sabotage reports

1 Like

I had an alternate account get actioned in far less time because of throwing (in a throw group) because my SR was no where near mid diamond anymore.

So, yeah, you’re incorrect.

ive noticed sometimes I go on impossible losing streaks, and its like, hard to believe I just magically started sucking… bad. over night, like way bad compared to my normal
but according to the system I magically started sucking out of nowhere.
12 game losing streak, 300 sr later, still losing EVERY SINGLE GAME.
considering a lot of these games end in me getting gold everything, killing half their team befor watching my team melt, etc, its getting really hard to take responsibility

1 Like

well “throw groups” as you call it

are obvious and everyone on ladder reports u practically every game

actual throwers on ladder are a lot harder to detect
and require thousands of reports to get actioned with the measily 24 hour ban

Your idea of proof is very…slack. Your experimental design is…sloppy.

I really hope you’re not a scientist in your day job.

3 Likes

Not saying that anything you said is true, also not saying the opposite.

However i experienced playing on my alt account leads to me getting full smurf games. Sure, that’s totally okay since I AM a smurf at this point and i rather have a game full of smurfs instead of actual gold/plat player getting pissed off by people playing their elo who are far better than them. Heck, i even get 3 minute queues constantly on ~2.6 mmr.

What im tryna say is, blizzard CAN work with your performance and put them into account (for example to put you into these “smurf games”). Do they use the same mechanic to build teams and make it 50/50 or force people into winning/losing teams ? Who knows, only transparency can show

1 Like

I’m also being a somewhat naughty person and ranking up a smurf that placed a bit too low.

It is sitting at a 90% winrate at around 2700SR at the moment.

My Q times are also pretty long for this elo and my games are usually full of low lvl players BUT they are definitely not always high ranked smurfs and sometimes I even get 3 higher ranked smurfs in my Team vs “normal” smurfs in their games making me think the matchmaker is just shuffeling the lower lvl players around.

I have had those smurf “Carry” games where I felt I had to do everything myself but also games where I could have afk’d in spawn and we would have won anyway - so normal stuff imo.

I’m also pretty sure I have been getting reported as teams are starting to focus me more and more - No forced loss streak so far…

1 Like

Nothing to fear? Only get banned lol.

Your game sample is way too low and it doesnt prove anything, since you probably already wanted to prove your theory. Hell, it could only be just bad luck. Did you record these games?

There is chance game will place you with other toxic people who were reported a lot like you. But its not forced loss streak. Its just you being place with other gargbage people like you

This is what he is testing for. Glad to see you agree.

1 Like

I can also confirm this phenomenon.
Toxicity leads to force losing streaks, mostly via the reporting system.
Positivity leads to a higher chance of getting teammates who actually participate in voice chat, mostly via the endorsement system.
Not a coincidence in my experience.

1 Like

I didnt say i agree, i said there is a chance system will place you with other toxic people. It doesnt mean there are forced loss streak. Its just logical outcome, that you have bigger chance to have team not willing to cooperate so less chance for win. But even that is just theoretical. I played many games with multiplex toxic people when we won even by fighting each others in our team.

There is no such thing as forced streak. I did many expertiments myself too with collecting data and recordIng and i never saw anything like forced loss streak. Its just wild theory frequently used by people who were lucky to have good win streak and they dropped after because they could not maintain new SR.

Not to mention he didnt show us any proof he did that and his account is private so even his rank could be lie.

1 Like