Excuse Busters: Voice Chat Edition šŸ”Ž

I donā€™t have to have stuck my hand into the fire to know whether itā€™s hot and I donā€™t have to be a woman to be observant and have had experiences concerning them. Iā€™ve played this game a lot. Iā€™ve had every kind of teammates anyone can imagine. Itā€™s not unreasonable for me to claim to understand the social dynamics of this game. I have much more claim to it than most people, especially since Iā€™ve played on multiple platforms and everywhere from silver to GM and T500. Thatā€™s not invalid because Iā€™m not a woman.

Sure, not everyone has the same experiences. I agree. Thatā€™s why competetive is not for everyone. There are lots casual modes for those who only have the real-life bandwidth to play that kind of thing and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that.

But youā€™re not trying to leave feedback about the game in general. Youā€™re trying to tell women who have muted their mic because they have been harrassed too much, that their own personal experiences arenā€™t valid because of your personal experience. And your personal experience would not be the same as their personal experience even if you were a woman, but itā€™s even less revelant as a man because you donā€™t have a woman in 100% of your games. Itā€™s dissimilar experiences.

Women who get harassed so much they donā€™t want to mic shouldnā€™t be told to get out of competitive.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t tell them their experiences werenā€™t valid. I told them having experienced some harassment doesnā€™t justify automatically leaving chat every time because of it. They should still always give their team a chance to be decent. Itā€™s easy enough to mute people if they feel they need to after that. It takes two seconds.

But if they are getting harassed more often than not, and that is their personal experience, they would likely play better if they werenā€™t getting titled every single play session. In which case, they should save themselves the trouble and keep their mic off by default.

You donā€™t know their experience. And you cannot invalidate it with your own.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think weā€™re talking about the same thing. If potentially negative internet interactions are too traumatic for someone to even risk briefly exposing themselves to, I donā€™t recommend that they play competitive online games. Theyā€™re going to have a bad time.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t agree more.

Iā€™ve long said Blizzard need to make team voice chat compulsory for Competitive with no option to leave.

1 Like

Oh hell noā€¦

For some people it would mean they can NEVER play comp, it is NOT up to you to decide of people are to be gatekeepered out of a game mode because of your personal prefence.

2 Likes

Or they can just mute their mic. It doesnā€™t have to be traumatic to be annoying enough to effect your play. People certainly get tilted by less in games.

3 Likes

My friends and I held an election and it was decided that it actually is up to me.

1 Like

Ah, Iā€™ve also had a vote, and the answer was it isnā€™t :wink:

Hmmā€¦good move. Weā€™ll table this for now.

1 Like

Honestly, I lived in a super loud area, I could NEVER have played overwatch, and that would have sucked pretty hard.

I ended up with noise canceling headphones so I could hear what was going on in game, but, there just isnā€™t really good directional mics out there - I know, I tried.

1 Like

Iā€™m much more understanding of that when itā€™s clear that someone is at least in the chat channel and makes it clear theyā€™re listening. Using ā€œunderstoodā€ or something after someone says something to them. The mic is less important than the listening.

1 Like

Oh totally, I am ALWAYS listening. There are times where I canā€™t talk, but damned if I will be out of a channel where someone can call that someone has ult, or they are flanking.

We are not in a communist dictatorship state. No game can force you to talk in voicechat.

I dare someone to report me for not talking in voicechat but still joining to listen, and playing to the best of my ability, see what happens (answer: nothing :stuck_out_tongue: )

I wouldnā€™t report you for it.

Same. I often donā€™t mic for a variety of reasons but I pretty much always listen. A LOT of the problems that come from talking on mic donā€™t apply to listening.

1 Like

Right, I donā€™t have people become distracted by my sexy voice in matches when I am silent.

(I am not entirely kidding, which is weird, but I was a voice actor for naughty audio books for a reason)

2 Likes

Interesting! TBH I would have to mute you lmao. At least itā€™s positive reason to avoid chat and quite novel lol

1 Like

Its the middle of winter there are no jobs, also you cant make assumptions about the work around me, even if there was work a stable mic costs $100-$200 dollars keep your stupid opinion to yourself. you have no right to tell me i can make money while knowing nothing about my situation or surroundings. Believe me if i could afford a mic i would buy one but you arenā€™t taking into consideration the wide variety of scenarios that take place.