Everything About The Disconnection Problem

I have never experienced this problem, but apparently this has been a HUGE problem the last few days. I want to know everything about this problem. If you have experienced this problem please list everything you can. Replay code, grouped or not, platform, region, and anything else you can. I want to try and solve this problem. Thanks.

If you are having problems with Disconnections (where you get the “Lost Connection to the Server” error screen), please consider starting with these specific troubleshooting steps.

Note, if nothing in that guide helps and you still find you are disconnecting, please running a WinMTR test instead and post the results in the #technical-support forum.

Please note, posting here in the general discussion forum isn’t ideal as Blizzard technical support and forum MVPS like me doesn’t typically track for tech problems in this forum.

No.

No, no.

Like sometimes you just ignore what people are saying. This isn’t a normal ‘disconnection problem,’ no matter how much you want to think it is or post pretending it is. It’s not even a ‘disconnection’ problem. It’s a CRASH TO DESKTOP of an entire team, over and over.

The first time I saw it mentioned was about a week ago on Facebook. Again this isn’t a disconnection issue. What happens is the affected people crash to desktop and have to reload the game entirely. In the game I am posting below, I specifically asked what was happening and that is what the entire enemy team said. This is also corroborated by the information I saw in the Overwatch Memes group on Facebook.

Here is a copy/paste of the post I made in the other thread with the replay code.

RG05ZF

Note the first DC on the enemy team at 3 minutes, 28 seconds—they lose their Moira, who reconnects at the 4 minute mark.

Then they lose her again at 4 minutes, 25 seconds. So you’d think it’s a connection issue for Moira. She gets back at 4 minutes, 34 seconds.

Then at 4 minutes, 40 seconds, they lose their Reinhardt. Then at 4 minutes, 43 seconds, they lose their Torbjorn. Moira is still reconnecting but disconnects again at 4 minutes, 44 seconds. ONE SECOND LATER, their 76 drops as well. They start reconnecting at 4 minutes, 49 seconds.

At this point they started saying stuff in chat. Each one of them were crashing to desktop, reconnecting, then freezing/crashing again. You can actually see me standing still (if you’re watching from my Mercy pov) because I’m telling them that I saw someone posting about this phenomenon on Facebook.

At about the 5 minute, 40 second mark, those who had managed to reconnect start disconnecting again and then try to reconnect again. At this point the only two members of the enemy team who have stayed connected are Baptiste and Symmetra.

We get the payload in, next round setup is full of the enemy team accusing someone on our team of hacking and the members of my team being either confused or snarky (Widowmaker) about it.

They’ve all reconnected at that point, and the game proceeds as normal, and in fact they’re really aggressively pushing the payload. They make it to the last checkpoint. It looks like they’re going to push it all the way, giving us a third round and making it possible for them to win even with all the disconnects.

That is, until 10 minutes, 8 seconds - when they again lose someone. And even then they’re still giving us a run for our money. They get back around 12 minutes, 20 seconds.

We end up winning by the skin of our teeth and if it wasn’t for all those DC’s, we never would have.

I don’t know who on my team was doing it, but it was definitely deliberate and at the end they decided to only DC their sole healer (thankfully for them someone else swapped to heals and then the dc’d healer swapped to tank on their return) so as to not look quite as bad.

All that said, I have seen this sort of hack before in other games. In Red Dead Online, for example, modders can turn on an option that will force your game to crash to desktop if you try to use the report option to report them to Rockstar. Your game will just instantly lock and then crash. It’s happened to me before when I got teleported and then blown up 10x in a row, on multiple occasions. Whatever is going on here is similar.

1 Like

Your issue is not related to what I am talking about in this topic, read my full reply in the other topic explaining what I know of that specific error. (You only reacted to my first paragraph on that topic.)

1 Like

It’s not my issue, it’s everyone’s issue.

I provided a replay above. This is not a ‘disconnection’ issue or a ‘ddos’ issue, it’s a hack that crashes people to desktop that has proliferated in use since about a week ago.

-.-

1 Like

Game crashing and disconnecting are two very different issues. OP’s thread is about disconnecting, not clients crashing.

Its not a hack, but an issue with the game that I do acknowledge but Blizzard has not provided details on this. Most relevant topic they have responded to is here.

It’s all been happening, and it’s ridiculous lol.

I’ve been ‘lucky’ since it seems to only happen to the enemy team, but it’s making me leery about playing comp. I’m either going to DC or crash at some point.

Then make a thread in the technical forum?

This is just a discussion page so the community could find the problem.

I mean technically, it is a disconnection issue because you are losing connection to the game, but it is not your fault or poor Wi-Fi. There is clearly a reason why this happens, and thanks for giving me the info.

1 Like

this explains a lot about why I’ve seen maybe 10+ times as many leavers in the past few days. Its like every few games people just drop like crazy

Edit: bit of hyperbole actually. Not “like crazy” just the odd one sometimes two in my experience

I have heard in one game a player saying she had had a leaver in every game she had played that day tho. We had played two together at that point just randomly and both had leavers