"Every player equally equipped"

1. people like me who have chronic vertigo would be unable to play the game due to low lower refresh rates making me too dizzy to play for more than a few minutes
  2. there are still people who run the game below 60fps so if they are really trying to make an even field the game would have to run at 30fps

Yes. They could do other things to nullify some of the advantages that better hardware grants. Such as: no ultrawidescreen support (they already do this), limit packet send/receive rate or tickrate for those on low bandwidth connections, limit resolution to, say, 1080p, remove the option for high fidelity positional/surround sound, and so on. There are many things they could do on the software side that limit the advantages of better hardware, but they don’t. Yet they state that they strive for a “level playing field.”

1 Like

Perfect :blue_heart:

1. You’re probably in the minority.
  2. Correct, they’d have a never ending spiral of having to meet the lowest common denominator. Which is why a level playing field is unachievable and they’re foolish to claim to have it to begin with, wouldn’t you agree?

Completely illogical comparison.

Having a 144hz monitor or 7.1 headphones does nothing but present the game to you in the best way possible. The faster refresh rate or extra speakers don’t show you things that aren’t there or let you hear stuff that other players can’t, it just gives you the optimal version of what’s there for everyone.

Pursuit, Visor, etc. interpret that information and process it for you, the same way an aim bot takes your aim input and processes it for you to make you hit the target. It’s an advantage over what is provided in-game to every player, and is thus considered cheating.

8 Likes

You really want them to drop the tickrate? That thing many people argued over for months when the game released until they increased it?

Also why limit the resolution to 1080 if many players cant even hit that? It should be limited to the lowest resolution the game supports at 25% render scale and 30fps. That way even the worst potato can keep up with a good gaming pc

Also side note overwatch has done many live presentations at the games developers conference GDC. One of them being on the sound design and how the positional sound was built to be a core part of the game. You are asking them to take away a core part of what makes overwatch the experience that it is

1 Like

The original pay-to-win that affects any game. Better PC, internet and accesoires are an advantage many underestimate!

Ah yes I forgot, screw the minority. Doesnt matter if they have better hardware, garbage hardware, or disabilities. Just screw them

If you are wanting everyone to be on an equal level hardware and software wise then you need to switch to console

A 144hz monitor literally shows you 84 extra frames per second - meaning it’s easier to both track and predict targets, and see things that are moving with less blur. You literally see stuff other players don’t. Plus, your mouse input to seeing it reflected on screen literally has lower latency. If you’ve played at 30fps, you’ll know how much harder it is to control your character because of input lag.

1 Like

A level playing field is also supposedly a “core part” of Overwatch, according to the devs. No, I don’t want them to drop the tickrate, limit resolution, or limit FPS. In fact I believe people who have more money or better equipment should be entitled to a better experience.

I can tell believe part of this community…

If you want to play games with third party software, play ones that aren’t for competition online and ones that you mod with friends.

The game has minimum requirements. If you can’t meet that, you’re unable to play. If you meet it, congrats, doesn’t matter what the game looks like, it plays and you can decide to use it for competition.

Third party software is completely different. You can’t be bothered to do the work learning real gamesense so you needed a software to tell you.

1 Like

You’re talking about “Everyone” which includes “the minority”. Stop being such a hypocrite.

Then why are you complaining if you think they are entitled to it?

You seem confused. Obviously, having absolutely everyone in the world be able to run/play Overwatch isn’t possible and I never said I wanted it to be so.

I’m not. I’m not complaining about people having better hardware having advantages. My opinion is that Blizzard’s statement of a level playing field and “everyone equally equipped” is disingenuous.

1 Like

You do realize when they said that they were referring to everyone having the exact same copy of the game right? Just making sure you are aware that no one on pc regardless of game is going to be on the same level when it comes to hardware. You play consoles if you want everyone on the exact same field

No, no reference was made to everyone having the same copy of the game. Which isn’t the case anyway - some people have GOTY, or Legendary Edition, which arguably grant their own advantages through certain cosmetics being immediately available. And yes, cosmetics do give some advantage.

He doesn’t want an equal playing field. He is saying that Blizzard claims they do, but there is so much that they can do to ensure that that they simply don’t do. Thus their claim of am “equal playing field” makes absolutely no sense

1 Like

Yes, precisely. Thank you.

Where do you draw the limits? 60fps? 30fps? 1080p? 480p? There is no real way to make an even playing field software wise unless you give the worst resolution possible, at the lowest settings, lowest framerate, and mute all sounds since people with better speakers will be at an advantage over $10 dollar ones.

Even then hardware-wise , people will still use 1ms monitors, people will always choose to use better keyboards, speakers, headphones, and mice which offer advantages. Almost forgot people living closer to the servers have a better ping. people who can only use wifi are also at a disadvantage over those who can run a cable to their pc

1 Like