Erroneous punishment

Hello,

Just had an issue where I disconnected from the game servers and couldn’t reconnect for a minute or so. Internet connection was fine, I was able to communicate with others via my connection at the time. Anyhow, the problem resolved itself and I was able to reconnect and rejoin my game, landing a victory.

Here’s the problem: Upon rejoining I noticed that my “Endorsement Level” had decreased by 1, and upon victory I had lost approximately 50 SR instead of GAINING SR per my victory. What actually gives? I haven’t played a game since, so it’s my last match played if that helps. I won’t be playing until whatever caused this has been resolved as it was just a colossal waste of my time.

Best of luck bug hunting and hope you can narrow it down before someone else gets punished.

With kind regards,
SerSalty

Hopefully this gets resolved. It would be extremely discouraging to even have a Rejoin button if you get punished either way. I know it’s near impossible for them to track a disconnect versus a leave, but if the person comes back and continues to put in work, leading for a victory for the team, why would they still be punished? It’s clearly a bug, as there’s no logical reasoning behind it.

I don’t have any illusions of being reimbursed because I haven’t ever heard of anyone else being compensated. I really just want the underlying issue resolved.

Rejoining a game is only possible during certain phases of the game. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

Please note, with Copa Lucioball, the return window is only 15 seconds and not 2 minutes.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in red text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. If you are disconnecting frequently, there is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please start a new post in the Technical Support forum saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided. Good luck!

(^^)v

I was involuntarily disconnected from the game server. When I tried to connect, it just sat there spinning on the “Connecting to Game Server” screen until it finally let me back in. Again, every other service on my network was operating just fine. I rejoined the game and proceeded to win.

Why exactly am I being punished, and why is the “Rejoin” button even there if there’s literally no point after 2 minutes?

As I said, there can be problems that don’t disconnect your own internet connection. Remember reaching the game servers is not the same connection route as say your discord client, or another game or website.

Because being gone for more than 2 minutes is detrimental to the state of that match. Yes your team did win, but what hoops did they have to jump through? As I said, the penalty is not about the match result but more or less making sure players are not going to abuse the leaver system by trying to return in order to bypass penalties (regardless of match result). Players do have the option to return after 2 minutes and it is the moral thing to do if you can regardless if you take a hit or not.

None. I disconnected at the tail end of the first round and reconnected right as the second round started. Please stop making excuses for an obviously flawed mechanic. As I’m sure they retain adequate data, the last game I played could be reviewed as proof to my claim. All you are speaking on is pure speculation. I’d rather see a response from someone with the ability to investigate.

As one of the forum MVPs I work to provide the detailed and correct answers to how Overwatch works and educate players and provide official resources (such as the links I have provided above). You are now aware of how the system is designed and intended to work. If you need help resolving frequent disconnection issues, there is help for that, but the penalty stands and cannot be reversed. If you feel you have better ideas on how the system should run, post it in the Competitive Discussion forum.

1 Like

Got it. Not a bug, just awful design.

Thanks for your time.