Environment States in Overwatch 2: Behind the scenes with the engineering team

It looks amazing honestly, especially the technical stuff at the end. Now it make more sense to me why OW is so well optimized! Thank you for all you work, keep it up!

I remember how my budget GPU could run OW at 144 fps stable.
Now it can do only 120fps.

With OW2 I foresee, it will run 60fps at best

1 Like

If this was optimize for overwatch 6 vs 6 it would be fine but since we’re losing a hero slot it kinda beats this intro video. where tracer literally say the world could always use more heros. So let’s do this please upgrade the slots to 8 per team 2 tanks 2 brawlers 2 support 2 healers. So let’s make it 8 vs 8 Overwatch Cinematic Intro - YouTube I guarantee it a win win for everyone. And ques will be fast.

No i mean the night and day cicle, not the extra conditions.

I also want more. But they also cant give it all away on a random tuesday night. There are events coming up and they have a promotion plan as well. Just be happy we are hearing things and that its becoming more frequent.

Oh, well that wouldn’t be so bad, though there could be balance considerations there too. The BLINDING SUN at Gibraltar comes to mind.

Yeah i’m sure they could find a good angle that wouldnt be so bad competitively speaking.

I think that’s a lot to do with the art style of overwatch with smooth surfaces and little find detail in the textures (like depth to the grain). This is why OW can get 300fps on some setups quite easily - it does not put a really heavy load on the GPU. If they keep that style, which it seems they will, then it’s quite likely to perform pretty well still on lower end GPUs after turning off some of the lighting and shadow functions. The shadows will give a feeling of more depth to the images, but totally unnecessary for gameplay. Some of the effects like fog and sandstorms may be harder on old GPUs though so I would expect those at the limit with OW1 will need to upgrade for OW2 to get the same quality.

I mean, they have already did this kind of stuff with the different time of day in OW1. Slightly different shadows aren’t really worth the bump in requirements.

As an example I can turn off the shadows in OW1 and it will still look decent because there are backed shadows. With this new method it seems like everything is going to be dynamic.

My point is, either go big with the changes or go home. Some middle ground compromise pleases no one. Ppl with low end machines won’t be able to play it and those with high end ones won’t see much of a difference visually.

1 Like

ow is mainly a cpu heavy game so i’m a bit worried cus i have an i5 2500k lol

Yeah and they are going to add more postprocessing too.

1 Like

I would be happy if they get back into pace on balancing the main game, really dont care much about this glorified DLC. But we aint even getting that…

So do the launch maps not have ambient occlusion?

Will ray tracing be a thing for OW2? I know not everyone has a beefy computer. It would be so awesome though.

Really awesome post, thank you.

1 Like

They said in the post it shouldn’t affect PC performance substantially.
If it does, just turn down your graphics quality.

1 Like

Oh yeah, that god forsaken sun really ruins the battle on the first point

Because I can’t PRAISE THE SUN if I can’t see 2ft in-front of me

Cries in cheap/old laptop

1 Like