Dumpster Fire v10.5

So such heroes would perform their primary roles largely passively and would spend most of their time hitscan shooting. What sort of damage do you think such heroes would do? At what ranges?

This is partly why I think Ana has a successful design - her aim is potent, except she shoots her allies as a support. You probably can’t have a tank or a support spending most of their time hitscan damage shooting potently. That’s the damage role.

At this point? I am just down for any solution. I support yours too. I just can’t even anymore, I actually quit the game and if I return to dabble, it will likely just be as Ana.

People would just queue for tank or support and go DPS every single time if they did that.

I’ve thought up multiple versions of ideas that would work.

✅ 1x Barrier Tank per team
✅ Buff Barrier Tanks, less Regen if 2xBarrier

Heck this is basically a simplified version of the multi queue idea

✅ [Brawler Role] DPS Queue Fix

Including fixing queue times in high ranks.

✅ Fixing Tank/Queue issues in a nutshell

They could do that, except there are a few problems. The biggest one is that if they’re queuing as tank or support to play damage due to queue times this would mean match compositions are generated at the maximum of three damage heroes per team. They would not have the ability to switch to damage in such a condition. Furthermore, if they are on a solo role they would be forced to play that role unless someone else switches to it. Lastly, for them to undertake these point-defeating risks well over 50% of players should be queuing for damage. If not that many players are queuing for damage their by far best option would be to queue for damage themselves. In fact, they aren’t just undertaking point-defeating risks queuing as other roles to play damage, they are either guaranteeing they won’t play damage or are unnecessarily queuing for other roles.

I’ve been reading some of your ideas. They strike me as half-measures.

They basically maintain 2-2-2, in slightly different forms.
While allowing substantial buffs to Tanks in the way DPS players like to play.

But if you got a multiqueue, why not just have some 1MainTank-1OffTank-2-2, for as many barrier tanks as you have available, and make the rest be 2OffTank-2-2

✅ [Brawler Role] DPS Queue Fix

Your idea would increase DPS queue times, not decrease them. Even if the matchmaker cuts off at some point and only uses off-tanks, any added search criteria will always increase queue times, no matter how minor.

Preserving exclusive 2-2-2 is incompatible with addressing queue times in my mind. What you’re trying to get at is excluding main tanks and having games where players won’t be at a disadvantage with two off tank compositions. This is a half-measure at best and does not seem worth the trouble.

Nope.

It would be either
1MainTank-1OffTank-2-2 vs 1MainTank-1OffTank-2-2

Or it would be
2Offtank-2-2 vs 2OffTank-2-2

DoubleOffTank vs DoubleOffTank neutralizes the weakness of that composition.
And opens the floodgates for “Tanks that DPS will want to play”

That’s if you assume by making OffTanks more similar to DPS, and plentiful to use, would attract zero DPS players to the role.

You gotta get your head out of zero sum logic.

I understand that. It’s a half-measure.

Astonishingly this really does seem to indicate they intend to move to 1-3-2. I strongly believe 1-3-2 is a bad idea.

h ttps://www.pcgamesn.com/overwatch/year-four-battle-pass

No. That’s assuming that not enough players will change over to make up for the increased search times caused by added criteria, as it is highly unlikely that enough players will start playing tank from the DPS role for it to be a positive change.

Well, who knows. But I figure people would prefer 1-1-2-2 or doubleofftank over "tank that gets pummeled with cc and focus and never has time to peel for healers against 3x dps.

I would strongly disagree that if

1. Guaruntee the otherwise DPS player gets to play offtank
  2. Sweeten the deal by giving the offtanks more firepower

Everyone is thinking in terms of exclusive compositions. The point here is not to. Overwatch is not about such exclusivity.

I’m already worried about the complexity of just two simultaneous composition locks in the same queue. (Mostly the UI design).

Much less 8 or 10.

This already happens. Nobody is required to get on main tank, double off-tank is pretty common since a lot of people don’t like playing main tanks.

They used to be stronger, people still didn’t pick them over DPS even if your team had 4 DPS on the team.

You also have to realize that the cut-off point for searching for barrier tanks would have to be set in minutes, not seconds.

Then you haven’t understood what I’ve posted.

If you’re playing Comp above Silver, you’re practically throwing if you go DoubleOffTank.

It still happens in diamond+. This is ladder we’re talking about, not OWL.