Dragonstrike interaction with dmgb is broken

Hello everyone !

So as you should know the current meta relies a lot on GravDragon.
Why ?
It is the result of both Mercy and Hanzo reworks: Hanzo became the best dps hero, and enables the “burst meta” with storm arrows, which is only countered by Mercy and her rez. Also, Mercy is able to damage boost his ultimate which allows it to outdamage Transcendance.

Mercy can damage boost Dragonstrike ?

Well… no. Mercy can’t damage boost Dragonstrike.
But before going into more details, let’s do some basic maths.

There are currently 4 heroes who can amplify the damage dealt by an ally:
Mercy, Ana, Zenyatta and Orisa.

Dragonstrike deals 150 dps for each dragon, meaning it can reach a total of 300 dps. After a few tests, we found that the total damage dealt to someone standing still was aproximately 984 damage.
For the needs of the test, we played with 3000 hp.
The tests have been done on the PTR

Mercy and Zenyatta abilities increase the damage by 30%:
984 x 1.3 = 1279 damage after calculation of 30% boost
3000 - 1279 = 1721 theoretical hp left

The tests shows that only Zenyatta’s Discord orb applies the correct amount of damage. Dragonstrike damage isn’t amplified at all by Mercy’s damage boost.

Ana and Orisa are able to increase up to 50%:
984 x 1.5 = 1476 damage after calculation of 50% boost
3000 - 1476 = 1524 theoretical hp left

Neither Ana nanoboost nor Orisa supercharger increase the damage of Dragonstrike.

So is damage boost suddenly broken ?
Well… no.

We tried to damage boost another ult than Dragonstrike, and this time the amount of damage dealt was as expected.

Conclusion:
Dragonstrike doesn’t interact the same way with Mercy dmgb, supercharger, nanoboost and discord orb. Three of them doesn’t affect at all its damage.

Dragonstrike only interacts as intended with discord orb.

This makes dragonstrike one of the most inconsistent abilities in the game.
Why should one ability amplify its damage, but not the others ?

Because a demonstration says more than a long speech, here’s the video showing everything I just explained.

9 Likes

Nope, they are not sure about it, Blizzard mode: “headless chicken”

1 Like

This is just silly. honestly.

2 Likes

Quick correction: Orisa’s Supercharger increases the damage output 50%.

4 Likes

Looks like I completly missed this…
Thanks anyway !

This is odd… so your test shows that it’s impossible to ally-damage-boost dragonstrike?

If this is true, it means that literally everyone has been playing mercy wrong for the last few months.

No, that is a new change. It worked yesterday.

The OP forgot to specify that this is happening on the PTR.

6 Likes

Well that would have made a lot of sense.

Ohhhhhhhh, that makes a lot more sense

Seems like I forgot this too

1 Like

Strange nerf and inconsistent as well.

3 Likes

where are all the headless snipers?

I know everyone knows this but I’m going to say it because I haven’t seen it yet: Discord Orb doesn’t increase damage dealt, it increases damage received. This means no individual ability can be exempt from it’s help.

Now I must admit I’m surprised that it took them this long to remove damage boost x dragon strike. I also hope they remove damage boost bonus from working with self destruct. It’s always made sense (at least in my mind) that once the source of the damage becomes independent of the character is shouldn’t be affected. Turrets aren’t boosted, Venom Mine shouldn’t be, and so forth.

1 Like

I don’t get that overall DmgB nerf. It fixes no real issues, is effectively a nerf to Ana and Orisa, Mercy will still be the best sup and the nerf looks overall very inconsistent.

Apparently, bad game design needs even more bad stuff to (not) work better.

1 Like

That’s right, but seen from our perspective, damage dealt and damage received is pretty much the same since they achieve same results.
What I mean is that if an ability’s damage can’t be boosted, then neither should be the damage received from this ability.

Also, I think it is very inconsistent for some ults to be affected but not others.

Poor roadhog. He is always the test subject

2 Likes

He’s a big meat ball and can self heal.
That’s just nature.

ahahha, true, all thanks to his infinite health pool