Dragonblade rework: 100% swift-strike

The problem with nanoboost is the combination of swift strike damage with sword swing damage allows you to easily reach the 250 damage threshold if you have a +50% damage amp.

Instead, the only attack when using the dragon ult could be a “swift strike” that does 120 damage in the same sized hitbox as swift strike. No longer can you intersperse a swift strike together with a 120 damage sword swing. It would still be a 0.9 sec attack interval but each attack is just a lunge up to 15m forward.

This solves the damage boost problem as 120 +50% damage boost is 180 damage, you can’t make any other attack every 0.9 sec. The damage of each dragonblade attack could be safely increased to 130.

Each attack would also resets the double-jump so Genji can theoretically use this ult to cover a massive distance very quickly like get from spawn to the objective or go around a cliff side or over a tall obstacle. Even through a maze of corridors.

This I think is much more impressive as a “super powerful swordsman” ultimate and still has high impact of damage, you can easily catch several opponents in a strike area, but not too much on any one individual. This builds on Genji’s existing skill base of knowing when, where and how to swift strike but this allows Genji to chain them together regardless of kills and do more damage.

8 Likes

If it’s not broken don’t fix it … nanoblade isn’t that strong.

1 Like

It easily wins you fights

38 Likes

No.

it’s strong.

You can easily combo kill almost every non-tank.

19 Likes

Not only does he does a lot more damage with nano boost, but he also becomes a mini tank with 300HP that is hard to kill because of his movement and healing

17 Likes

It easily wins you fights if the enemy is dumb … in that case everything easily wins you fights.

Strong doesn’t equal problematic … many ult combos are strong. And many non tanks have some form of counter or escape.

1 Like

What rank are you at if I may ask? I am in High Masters on all roles and when Genji is played it is mainly for his nanoblade. Also fights are easily won here with just nanoblade

17 Likes

This is too good.

And more importantly it’s such a contrast with non-boosted dragonblade which is so… meh. The dash slash combo is only 170 damage. To make clear, without Nanoboost Genji can’t get a reset on each slash yet with nanoboost he reliably can get a reset on each slash.

That’s unbalanced, that’s extreme variance based on getting an ult combo or not.

It’s clearly a really important damage threshold and the ultimate targets non-tanks too much as it’s all about getting that swift strike reset on a kill.

These are all problems you could actually address rather than disrespectfully deny that they exist.

7 Likes

No doubt about that. Zarya is mainly played for grav and Sombra is mainly played for EMP … some heroes are mainly played for their ults, that’s nortmal. And when I look at overbuff I see a 2.3% pickrate and a 53.5% winrate for Genji … both mediocre.

You’re not really addressing the topic.

EMP and Grav don’t have any particular problematic interactions with other ults based on the damage amp just tipping them over a key damage threshold.

And Zarya’s bubbles are excellent.

8 Likes

Ult combos are meant to be very strong and win teamfights … that’s how the game was designed. If you want weaker ults go and play Paladins.

1 Like

You’re not really addressing what I said.

There is a difference between an ult combo having an improvement and an ult combo having THIS DISTINCT a change.

The distinct change is the damage thresholds and the interaction with swift strike reset, that you’ve doggedly refused to even remotely acknowledge.

No I want you to address what I say, not just talk around the issue in loose generalities.

4 Likes

incoming nanboost-mercyblade becomes the new nanoblade.

Would be tricky as every swift strike could easily break the beam and you can shut it down by focusing the Mercy. In contrast, you cannot end nanoboost early by attacking Ana.

If that was really such a problem then the slash damage could be reduced to 110 and maybe a slight reduction in attack recovery to compensate.

FYI when calculating multiple damage boosts the game doesn’t multiply the base damage by 1.5 then multiply that number by 1.3 for nanoboost and mercy boost respectively. What it does is adds up all the damage amps together so +50% +30% becomes +80% (not 1.5 x 1.3 = 1.95).

I think I do … nanoblade isn’t stronger than some of the other ult combos and there are many ways to counter it or reduce it’s impact. And Zarya is not played for her bubbles … that’s ridiculous.

You’re not addressing the damage thresholds at all.

You’re not addressing how that makes nanoblade much much more powerful.

Zarya absolutely is played for her bubbles.

8 Likes

nanoblade is too much damage … it’s a lot of damage, but it has ways to counter it and is not more effective at winning teamfights than other ult combos.

That’s the thing though.

Nanoblade is busted, the problem is that EVERYTHING ELSE about genji sucks.

Remove damage boost from blade, buff his base kit.

Preferably his recovery time on right click.

The only things that properly counter it are trans, beat, or having to use a grav to do it. Not to mention genji can easily charge his ult 10x faster than all of those heroes.

4 Likes

This sounds like something someone who doesn’t play Genji thought up. Just remove nanoblade all together, we literally don’t need something new for people to complain about being op like replacing dragonblade swings with a dash

Okay.

Such as?

I hope you don’t mean very narrow counters that are unreasonably hard to land.

How do you work that out?

For contrast, it’s far easier to affect a large spread out opposing team with nanoblade than to catch many in Zarya’s grav.

Ever heard the phrase “only Nixon could go to China”?

What I mean is I may be better to broach this issue precisely because I don’t have a bias in favour for it.

No then people will never shut up about unfair treatment “if Genji can’t be nanoboosted during his ult then neither should these heroes either!”

It would not be overpowered, it’s designed to get the best of both worlds.

It get the “dash for each slash” that’s core to Dragonblade’s power but you get the slash independent of whether you get a kill so this massively reduces snowballing.

2 Likes