"DPS why aren't you killing anything"

If you can’t do anything without support, it means you developed healing addiction.

3 Likes

There’s an Immortan Joe meme in there somewhere.

Definitive proof, that two wrongs do in fact make a right.

I just encountered that before - players get so reliant on healing, that they become completely helpless moment healing is interrupted. Like any addiction, it has various stages - from “healing would make my life easier” to “I absolutely require healing to function in this team”.

1 Like

Me: mccree

Enemy mccree: It’s high-lypossiblethatI’mgonnadiebecauseyou’rebehindareinshieldandcanjustendmein2shots-noon

Our rein: You know what, i’m gonna firestrike, that’ll show him!

Me: NO! WAIT!

triple kill.

1 Like

One of the best proofs of miseducation of Overwatch players:
The astonishing amount of players (not new) that believe that when nothing is dying, is 100% the DPS fault.

Its amazing. Never ceases to amaze me, even when they barely move, press RMB or make call outs, act on the ones that are made etc … its SO BAD that even a Developer had to address it on an official post in this forum

1 Like

“Our DPS suck!”

Said by the Ana who stood 3 feet in front of me as I spammed “I need healing” and never once looked behind her, causing me to die to a stray D.Va bullet…

Mad that my game is ruined by mercy mains and brig mains holding a button towards their hitscan ashe daddy? Mmm well, why wouldnt i?

If you think that’s all Mercy does, I feel terribly sorry for your lack of general knowledge regarding support play.

Mercy = no skill is a myth. She is one of the toughest healers to play well and get the most impact out of as she is so reliant on her team and requires hyperawareness from her player.

4 Likes

Brother im sorry someone lied to you. Mercy is the easiest support in the game. Dont get it wrong, its hard to play ANY HERO in high rank. But mercy is the easiest out there. Except it or not, the facts stay

1 Like

Often that myth is true, if said Ashe is only competent DPS on your team.

Difficulty of Mercy scales up with competence of your team - more players are good shooters, more targets you got to manage.

it’s accept and no,
Many pros say she deceptively difficult.

Also, how do you have almost zero time on her yet think she’s easy? Why is it that people who say a character is easy never actually play that character?

Are you assuming that you will do well on her in theory?

1 Like

I have met others like that who have no first hand experience on a hero, but believe they know enough to comment on them.

Not a brother.

Second, no, she is not. She is incredibly difficult to play with efficiency. You’re basing your assumption off of her sticking to a tank or one dps the entire game with a beam mindlessly going.

That is not a good Mercy. That is a terrible Mercy.

Moira is 1000x easier than Mercy to play, as she is much more forgiving of positional mistakes and less susceptible to flankers with far more ability for self-defense.

See above.

Also, if Ashe is the only competent player on your team, the Mercy pick is not justified and you should be playing a different healer.

I don’t agree with the idea of defaulting blame to damage team mates for the lack of kills, but the person you’re citing, Scott Mercer, is a laughable source ngl.

Even as a developer, he said that refusing to heed to the demands of team mates over character selection can be considered “poor teamwork” and is a reportable offense. He stood by Fuey500’s ban because he played Torbjörn exclusively and claimed to have certified that the report system was functioning as intended.

In that post you cited, he says we shouldn’t be blaming our team mates for losses, but he was the OW team member that originally said it’s okay to blame your team mates for the loss for not swapping and report them for playing a character you don’t like. Considering that’s his true philosophy on the matter prior to Jeff Kaplan coming out and publicly saying that character selection isn’t a reportable offense, his word is worthless on the matter…

Why though? As healer, you want to stick with most competent player and potentially push them into game-winning state.

Who else is to blame, if despite your healing and other efforts to keep your teammate alive, they still end up dead?

Supporting is two-way street, and you are responsible only for 50% of outcome, with another 50% at the hands of whoever you apply your healing/buffs to.

Those demands often do not take in account individual qualities of players. Forcing Reaper main to pick Widowmaker is unlikely to help team, even if it’s correct choice.

Why what?

Why should you be playing a different healer if Ashe is your only competent player?

Because Mercy is reliant on her entire team, not just one DPS.

Because if the tanks aren’t competent, Ashe isn’t going to win the game for you because the tanks will make no space and/or will die all the time and if you’re just stuck to Ashe like a remora to a shark, you will lose.

Because if Ashe is the only competent player on your team, you can expect 0 peels or heals from the other healer, who also won’t be healing your tanks because Ashe is the only competent player on your team, meaning you need to swap to something that can self-peel and heal the frontline as well as the backline, for example Moira/Ana/Briggite.

If you can only damage boost one hero the entire game then the pick is not justified, the same way the pick is not justified if neither of your DPS are competent because then you will only be healing and ignoring half of Mercy’s kit.

Mercy is far more than just a pocket, and even if you are pocketing someone that doesn’t mean you ignore the rest of your team.

You should be damage boosting Roadhog when he tosses a hook. You should be healing your tanks if your other healer is overwhelmed. You should be healing your other healer. Then you go back to your pocket.

Even pro Mercy’s don’t stick to only one hero at the expense of everyone else on their team.

Juggling damage boost to heroes close to their ult, knowledge of everyone’s position and health status, the ability to triage effectively, weighing risk vs reward in regards to a rez, hyperawareness/situational awareness, shotcalling.

All of these things and more are what make a good Mercy player. Sticking to one DPS with damage boost going 99 percent of the game? Terrible Mercy.

I would rather be terrible Mercy, that still wins games, than good Mercy, that loses.

If other players are incompetent, disregarding them is ok.

1 Like

This is a smurf. When i started the game i peaked only on healers with moira brig mercy and sometimes lucio higher then im right now. Mercy is not relatively easy, she is the easiest among all of them. Stop trying to defend the hero who become a pocket bot, and maybe if we rework mercy into a hero who is actually punishable AND mechincly harder to play THEN maybe she will stop be the joke of ow competitive mode. Aint nothing competitive about her kid

If other players are incompetent, you should be weighing whether or not you can provide more to the team on a different hero.

I mean there’s always the chance you are assuming they are incompetent when if you just flew to them and healed them or tossed a damage boost to one of your tanks to give them their ult, they’d show you that you’re wrong.

But you’d rather just stuff yourself up Ashe’s butt.