Double shield is the worst tank meta ever

And it’s even ruining lower elo games where it’s skill floor of effectiveness is sub zero.

I literally had someone argue with me that orisa/rein is not double shield. I was simply left speechless. It’s beyond unfun to lose to. If I get outwitted by dva/winston or some sort of tank duo that requires some coordination I can live with that. But the sea of cheesy unfun to face double shield comps even at sub 1500 rating makes my head hurt when playing support.

At least goats comp required some actual skill and was pretty much non existent in the dumps in contrast to this current unfun garbage. Just about any other tank meta required some skill to make function.

The skill to outplay this is much higher than the skill floor to run this trash. Just think of running into sym/torb back in the day but with tanks instead.

1 Like

I just swap to Symmetra.

Imagine people running the most efficient comps. Crazy.

1 Like

Imagine if there was a hero that looked like a tank, and that could obliterate shields in seconds. Only if…

1 Like

I’d rather play against double shield than play against anything Ball…

Ball is such a ridiculous character and the mobility+insane damage combination is completely overwhelming in the right hands. Why is it even in game?

1 Like

What double shield are we talking about?

Moira/LucioBrawlDoubleshield?
BrigBapHybridDoubleshield?
BrigBapMeiBrawlDoubleshield?
BapZenSpamDoubleshield?
ZenMercyDoublesniper?
BrigAnaRushcounterDoubleshield?

Or do you mean with Doubleshield just comps with 2 shields? In that case the list gonna get much longer with ReinSigSymRush, ReinOrisaBrawl, ReinOrisaSpam and like 100 others

I have no idea what you are talking about when you dont even list the comp you are complaining about. All the Doubleshields above are all so dramatically different from each other, you cant compare them

1 Like

Double Barrier becomes a necessity when ttk is too low. This is an overpowered dps problem, not a tank problem. Believe me, if off tanks could survive on ladder, people would be playing them instead.

Nearly ever single comp has come about as a way to avoid getting picked off by hitscan. Dive, Goats, Double Barrier.

1 Like

No. Its people not understanding how the game works problem.

Fortunately the game is moving towards a much more Hero Shooter/FPS style of game play like it should have been all along.

Lower TTK and less MOBA interactions.

Don’t cry when the tank and support queues are instantaneous and dps have to wait 12inutes for a match.

1 Like

Low key, even as a Diamond and Masters DPS player I’ve never had longer than 11 minute queue times.

What works is used. What has the lowest skill level, generally has the highest average win ratio. For reasons that everyone should be able to grasp. The high skilled, grouped together (the whole grouped together is the key part of that) changes this. But for most of the ranks, yes, double shield will give you the best overall win ratio… on average.

Because he can be countered so hard he has to switch.

One of the reasons I stopped playing a while ago. I enjoyed OW because it wasn’t a typical team-based FPS like CS: GO or Even TF2. Made it unique and I really enjoyed the gameplay.

It’s gradually changed to be more of an FPS, which has attracted some new players, lost others. Good or bad - or how it should have been all along - is a matter of preference, but it’s beyond question that the style and tempo of gameplay is dramatically different from launch.

That said, I check in every now and then to see how things are changing. After all, OW2 makes so many changes (such as 5v5) that it’s impossible to tell how things will settle. And I might enjoy that game as much as I enjoyed vanilla OW back in the day.

EDIT
That said, I do kind of dislike when people state a gameplay style or change is how things “should” be as if it’s fact and not opinion. For the same reason that someone saying pickles must or must not go on a hamburger is kind of missing the point of personal taste. For the record, I like pickles. And Muenster as the cheese, if possible.

That’s cool and all but, Overwatch is/was marketed as a Hero Shooter. And most of Overwatch takes its framework from Unreal Tournament. There’s a guy who did a very extensive discussion about it on the General forums. Having played both games extensively, I agree with him.

Also, I hate pickles. You can keep em.

Current Overwatch in the 2-2-2 format is a very difficult game to learn and understand for casual players. And it’s especially frustrating on the ladder when so many internet snowflakes are going to play the game how they want to play (win/lose) and it takes the competitive aspect away from the players who truly want to grind and improve.

For this reason, removing one of the Tank roles makes the game much more “traditional” FPS and allows for much higher carry potential of DPS and Support whereas the current version of Overwatch is defined by Tank and Support play with very few people truly understanding take or wanting to actually play tank in the first place.

5v5 is a simplification of the actual game of Overwatch. Again, it allows for more individual impact which is a great thing for casual and competitive ladder rats.

However, it simplifies the actual level of understanding required to play the game in a truly competitive environment (which I think is a loss for the community).

For this reason, I’ll grind OW2 just so I can say I was Diamond+ in both games, but I’ll likely not play OW2 regularly (if at all honestly). But in the current revision of OW2, its going to be very FPS based.

Double shield has won me some matches in gold

People say that about Pharah, too. Just pointing that out for you.

I think most players in all ranks agree that double shield is bad for the game .
For me , I don’t see Rein as a problem (Orisa Rein or Sig Rein) , when Rein is holding his Barrier he’s not doing anything else , unlike Orisa Sigma , both deploy their barriers and also spam dmg abilities at the same time .

1 Like