DOTA 2 to ban smurfs

<15 games, versus however many games it takes you to get as good on your off character. Which obviously could be hundreds. You’re negatively impacting the game for 500 teammates for every 100 games you play.

It’s not about you, it’s about the teammates you dragging down with you, just because you decided you wanted to play someone you’re not as good with. They’re facing the same exact impact that one would face playing against a smurf.

So again, your options are to not let them play that character at all, let them create alts to play that character at a more appropriate rank, or come up with some alternative mechanic that handles it better (which I totally support, but isn’t as easy as it sounds).

I get this, truly but…

The reason someone creates an alt in the first place is to avoid losses that you would have received. That in it’s very nature is cheating because you’re trying to get around the system, specifically, you’re trying to avoid losses.

Think about how everyone is supposed to play. They make one account and practice and lose till they’re better.

If everyone else played the game that way, then alting would 100% be considered cheating. It’s only up for discussion now because everyone here cheats and Blizzard lets them for their money.

1 Like

Typical, “I ruin games at my main sr and its unfair to them so i make alt accs”. But apparrently doing it on an alt account whose sr you dont really care about since its not your main acc and ruin games there is perfectly fine and acceptable.

2 Likes

i was going to come on here basically saying the same thing so im glad someone else has already brought it up…

i get people want the smurf issue resolved (or at least lessoned)…but how the heck do you actually police this kinda of stuff without inevitably punishing people who arent actually smurfing

By knowing the players real identity.

If that person is trying to win, their SR will allegedly stabilize very quickly. If that person is throwing, that’s a different issue, one that’s already against the TOS, and one that Blizzard claims to be taking seriously.

Half this thread seems to be incapable of understanding the difference between smurfing and throwing, so I get that the concepts might be getting juggled around.

But isn’t it likely that the new influx of players would have the same percentage of tank players?

Probably less so than other roles but still more than we have now.

Wow good on them, all games should do this.

1 Like

I have 12 hours on Genji, still dropping. That wasn’t fast at all.

Quickly is after ruining 15-20 games.

Ruining one game ruins the integrity of the entire system.Just one game. Every single person that plays rank will be effected by one person on an alt ruining just one game in gold.

alt accounts are not by definition smurf accounts…

Never said they were, all i’m saying is that they are just as bad as smurfs. No more, no less as bad as a full on smurf.

If you are trying to win on your main acc as well its the same thing isnt it even when you ruin games by playing a hero you are not used to.

Oh wait, doing that actually hurts your real sr and you are afraid of being unable to climb back up thats why you use a new account.

i dont think theyre the same thing like at all…one is purposely malicious…

1 Like

Neither do I. I think they are completely different. However they are just as bad as the other. They are nearly the same all the way down to their mathematical effects on the SR system.

Definitely not. A GM player with 5 accounts all in GM around the same rank has not had nearly as bad of an impact as a GM with 5 accounts in bronze through gold purposely ruining matches for people. Like the two arent even remotely on the same level.

The only difference between the two is that the latter either hasn’t played enough matches (and the former already ruined those matches), or the latter is throwing to maintain his low rank. All alt accounts start as smurfs by definition.

Throwing is not allowed, and Blizzard already says they act to deal with throwers.

LOL what the hell… A gm with 5 accounts probably ruined hundreds of games. Do you guys not think about the people on the other side of your monitor. These are people you are playing with, not numbers. This is their joy and fun we’re talking about here.

A GM with accounts artificially in gold ruins games exactly the same way an alt ruins them. How?

By making a win a loss or a loss a win. Players on the other team that are supposed to climb don’t and they play people they aren’t supposed to play. Do you not understand the implications of this, how big a deal it is to alt or smurf? It doesn’t matter if you’re trolling or not, you’re playing a game you aren’t supposed to; changing what should have happened to something else thus ruining many many more games than just the 15-20. Your Alt game creates a ripple that affects hundreds and hundreds of games. There is no excuse for this.

1 Like

Lol no it most certainly does not. An alt GM account has “ruined” maybe a few dozen games on their way up to GM, at which point it has stabilized and every game after that is definitely not ruined. A smurf continually ruins games every match they play - and worse yet these aren’t even close matches, these are hard steamrolls or hard throws.

If you seriously think those two things are comparable then you’re being purposely naive.