DOTA 2 to ban smurfs

Why would I want to deal with people buying multiple accounts. If they are just playing the game normally, why would I care?

1 Like

How many games you think got ruin till the point he gets back to masters because 1 team has a player that doesnt belong to that rank. Now multiply that by the number of ppl doing it on top of doing it multiple times.

Theres a difference between getting beat by a better player thats at your actual rank vs getting stomped by somebody multiple ranks above you in an unfair game.

If he is playing normally he isn’t ruining the game. it isn’t his fault the opposition isn’t as good.

And if he is far too good he will get large amounts of SR per win so will be long gone.

1 Like

How the hell do you expect the other team to be as good if hes literally playing below his actual rank against ppl that are at their actual rank.

This isnt only about the losing team either, the ppl he carries in his own team will also further mess up the general match quality.

Heres an example in 1 match he makes 11 other players get undeserved sr loss/gains. Now if it takes him say 10 games to reach back to masters thats up to 110 players worth of sr changes where he was a major factor in.

Now you multiply that by the amount of times hes gonna start a new acc, then multiply it again by the number of ppl doing it and you can see why games are such a mess now where back to back games can literally feel like you are playing in completely different ranks.

2 Likes

Let’s think this through - Jeff K. is on record saying directly that alts do not violate TOS.

Smurfs, ie. which can be primary or secondary accounts show tell-tale yo-yoing of SR over time. These violate TOS.

I would not be opposed to banning true Smurfs; I am unsure about banning alts (effectively, you really cannot do it without punishing honorable players).

They would have a PR nightmare on their hands now retroactively banning primary and alt accounts that people bought under TOS.

I’m highly doubtful about a system like this, but we’ll have to see how effective it really is. If there’s even some-what considerable margin of false bans coming out from this I’ll instantly advocate against it. However if the system is very accurate then I’m all for it

1 Like

I don’t.

Doesn’t mean he has ruined the game. He is just playing the game normally. Nothing wrong with that.

It isn’t his fault the MMR system and SR systems put the new account too low.

1 Like

You can’t be serious with this. Are you actually that oblivious?

3 Likes

You can only report someone if they threw to get down to a certain rank to stomp someone. People playing on a second account and trying to rank it up normally are not smurfs.

1 Like

The point is not in reporting smurfs/alts/w.e .
The point is that every new account that was placed out of their actual rank is screwing over those who are in their actual rank till the point when the said smurf/alt/etc is going to be placed where they belong.

Are they though. Are they really.

What is your win rate over a season?

1 Like

Except over time it will even out, it’s not their fault that they’re better than everyone in their rank if they are ranking up normally. I made this account because I didn’t like the name on my main account and owl teams were giving out free copies, I’m a gold player on my original account, and even when I was doing my placement matches I was getting called a smurf for some reason.

1 Like

Same. I am on my first ever account and still get called a smurf. Quite flattering really.

1 Like

Yea I’ve had a friend who came from CS awhile back get called a smurf because his aim was really good(he wasn’t, he had no idea what he was doing.)

I am now level 21. I have a 70+% winrate on Rein and the way I play apparently makes me a smurf. lol.

It is like people have never learnt about how to play a game before playing, so except every new player to be a donut.

1 Like

I do not play ranked because in the past I’ve lost over 500sr in one go because of smurfs and throwers in my matches and just for the sake of you telling me that I’m not good enough, I was maintaining the same sr over many seasons. Since then I have no fun in playing it.

But that’s the whole point and it’s kinda funny how both of you can’t see it.
The point that a player with new account gets places not where they belong screwing over everyone. And that’s gonna continue till the point where they rank up/derank to where they should be.
As Bunnie said higher

How the hell do you expect the other team to be as good if hes literally playing below his actual rank against ppl that are at their actual rank.

This isnt only about the losing team either, the ppl he carries in his own team will also further mess up the general match quality.

Heres an example in 1 match he makes 11 other players get undeserved sr loss/gains. Now if it takes him say 10 games to reach back to masters thats up to 110 players worth of sr changes where he was a major factor in.

Now you multiply that by the amount of times hes gonna start a new acc, then multiply it again by the number of ppl doing it and you can see why games are such a mess now where back to back games can literally feel like you are playing in completely different ranks.

If you still can’t see the issue, I guess you just don’t care in the first place.

And again, it will eventually even out because you’ll have games where you have newly placed alt accounts on your team. Some games are just stomps and you can’t do anything about that other than trying to learn from the replay on what you could’ve done better. When jake was doing the unranked to gm dps thing, I was matched against him and he stomped us. I watched replay and learned a lot from the way he played. It’s not the person’s fault that the game doesn’t know where they belong, the only time that having an alt account is banneble is if they throw games purposefully to de-rank.

1 Like

So you are only playing QP.

Match maker is so open there it is hardly an accurate representation of matches, or even peoples skill.

Last game I played had me (unknown rank), 2 diamond, 1 plat, 1 masters and 1 silver.

You can blame others. That is fine. But at the end of a season of games your win rate tells all.

Below 50% - you haven’t played well enough over a season
Above 50% - well done, you are on track, keep improving.

1 Like

I play QP when I feel like playing OW, yes, but it doesn’t mean that I don’t know the situation with ranked xD
Also, where did I blame others? I said that current situation with alts, smurfs or whatever you want to call, is just bad and a lot of people get screwed over.
But keep trying.

The majority of the people that complain about smurfs are referring to alt accounts or low level accounts that roll them. Most don’t realize that it’s often high level bronze and silver and gold accounts that are sold to boosters/bronze to gm etc. Level doesn’t equal smurf.

2 Likes