DOS’ing on Console

3 games lost because of a DOS’er tonight
2 games won because of a DOS’er

Such a fun experience when there’s no recourse for sore losers being absolute scum.

Yes. I too absolutely loathe Disk Operating Systems.

5 Likes

I assume it happened on playstation, never could happen on the switch, and i’m fairly sure it doesn’t happen on xbox(at least as much).

Of course it’s never happened to me so what do I know.

dont you mean DDOS attack but i swear earlier today when i was on gta someone had done a DDOS attack on me as the session split though if someone is caught doing a ddos attack they can face a prison sentence

Do you live in EU?
I’ve played on Console for almost 3 years and I’ve never seen a DDOS first hand :woman_shrugging:
Though I do know it’s more common on EU Console.

DDOS is a) not easy to do and b) highly illegal
The chances that someone will take the time to bypass the security of the Overwatch / Sony / Microsoft servers just to DDOS and potentially face prison time is highly suspect.
I know it’s all the rage to scream DDOS every time you disconnect from a game less than 1% of the time is that true. Most servers have built in defenses against garbage data which stops most DDOS attacks.

Are you blaming Blizzard for this? If so then you’re pointing fingers at the wrong company. Report these to your console maker.

DDOS means distributed denial of service, wouldn’t attacking a single person be just DOS, denial of service? Maybe the game session (all the players but only in that individual game).

They attack your home IP address. There is some bad design with consoles where people can somehow get your home IP. There are some videos out there of people doing this in OW on consoles and bragging about it.

Most of the time people doing these small attacks aren’t punished. If you attack some large company such as PayPal then yes you will likely be tracked down. DDoS a home IP? Naw law enforcement don’t care about that.

If PSN or XBox live servers are that exploitable then there is a massive security flaw which would be shocking to find out and be international news.

If you say they are targetting you specifically then they have your IP and if either service makes that easy to get again would be a huge security flaw which would be international news.

The “distributed” means the attack is coming FROM many locations and focus on attacking 1 point.

1 Like

That surprises me and makes me glad I don’t own a console.

You can search gamer tags on this one site to get an IP if it’s there, or you can send a message or invite the player to a party and if they respond you can get their IP.