Doom nerf is actually a big joke

Tell me this is a joke, i don’t usually post at foruns but i can’t keep myself after this right after the stream of nerfs that doom has been getting. Just because a bunch of crybabies that have no idea how to counter the hero complay a lot doens’t mean you have to destroy doom! I really hope this doesn’t go foward!

23 Likes

It’s just such a strange nerf. Like, if they were going to nerf him, toning down the damage on his shotgun or the distance of the knockback on his punch seems more logical. This nerf really seems to serve no purpose but to just make him feel clunky.

3 Likes

they should have nerfed his shotgun or cooldowns.

I’m pretty sure its the same genius who nerfed his uppercut that previously nerfed slam to where it bounced people all over the place… THEN blizzard had to revert it.

8 Likes

I think they’re nerfing the wrong thing. They just made this one ability worse, while everything that was BS about him is still BS. It’s just a really strange and specific thing they’re nerfing.

1 Like

It’s the classic Blizzard balance where you make the character not function first, before actually addressing the problem.

I’ll be surprised if the nerf even makes it off PTR with even high-level players disapproving it.

6 Likes

Maybe they want him Sombra’ed.

A joke is the right way to describe it

because I’m laughing real hard.

I think after a couple years of tanks just outright leaving the game they felt like the had to do something.

Kinda like sombra.

2 Likes

I don’t think so.

I kinda expect the talk went something like this…

“We need to nerf him in a way which effect high ranked players but not low ranked ones.”

How about we give him more hang time. So that in high ranks, they can shoot him in the air, and low ranks where that doesn’t happen it doesn’t effect him?

This is a targeted nerf for particular ranks. If they nerfed his shield, then will effect lower ranks more than upper ones.

I DO NOT like the nerf, because I hate things which make heroes feel more clunky to play, but I do understand it.

I don’t think this will “destroy” doom

But it will make him feel much worse to use.

As a Doomfist main- I’ve long been hopeful they’d reduce his max shields to 100 from 150, limiting him to 350 max health, or increasing his shields decay rate.

I do not understand their decision for this particular nerf.

3 Likes

It won’t “destroy him” per say, but his combo gameplay is pretty much gone. Uppercutting in any situation now is practically suicide because you literally cannot do anything, not even strafe, for a half a second. You can’t do anything during the move, but the enemy can shoot you, and it won’t take much longer than 0.5 seconds for them to kill you, especially with your head neatly lined up at a stand still in the air because you still can’t move.

So, we’ll be seeing a lot more punchbots just trying to oneshot people soon, since this is what everyone wanted instead apparently.

5 Likes

Because Doom is ONLY a problem at high ranks.

You are suggesting a fix which will effect low rank players more.

It is a bad fix, but it makes sense IF you are trying to target high ranked elos with the nerf.

How did you come to this conclusion?

It targets all ranks and makes him feel bad everywhere

Well, low ranked players will NOT be able to take advantage of Dooms extended hang time from the nerf, but they WILL get advantages out of the shield change.

You think the low ranked players will shoot him out of the sky in the extra 0.3 seconds given to them?

He is gone before they even think they should shoot him.

This makes a big different in the ranks where 0.3 seconds of extra reaction and shooty time makes a difference.

It doesn’t in ranks where that doesn’t

I HATE the change, but I can see why they are trying this.

He WILL feel bad at low ranks, but he won’t be at as much of a disadvantage from this as they will at upper ranks.

I am NOT defending it as a good idea ™ - I AM saying that I can see why they did it. It was not a random thing, they have put thought into it.

It was like the old Pharah changes, it was TARGETTED specifically at certain ranks. That is why this look weird. Blanket nerfs are easy.

It’s also going to make it harder for him at any rank to follow up on his uppercut. It’s not purely aimed at allowing high rank players a .3 second window longer to shoot at him. It’s to give his targets an extra .3 second to live.

This change will impact his flow at pretty much all levels of play.

One of the biggest “problems” Doomfist exerts is his ability to utilize his shields to buff himself for the next engagement.

His shield mechanic works when he’s engaging with 250-300~ health.

They start to break down when he’s starting to engage with 350-400 health.

Limiting his shields, or increasing the decay rate so he can’t consistently engage with an inflated health pool

Would effect him at many ranks. Including high ranks.

YES, his flow, not it will have a MUCH bigger change in win rates at some ranks rather than others.

I am NOT saying his flow isn’t going to be a mess, because it is.

But they don’t WANT to effect him at many ranks, they WANT to effect him more at high ranks than low ones.

Once you get your head around why they chose this, you can start making suggestions which could work instead of this. But they will not accept a blanket shield change, because of what it will do to low ranked Dooms.

So understand what is going on, and make suggestions which fit.

They can’t reduce his targeting area on slam, since that will make low ranked doom WAY weaker than high ranked doom.

They COULD increase it, making him way stronger at low ranks, AND reduce shields (being effecting all ranks) - THAT would achieve the result they are looking for.

But unless you find a way to stop the low ranks being unduely effected from the change, they won’t accept one.

What can you do which effects GM players WAY more than Plat?

To me lowering the shields would have been a better answer… keeping his movement flow for his kit but making him actually killable.

2 Likes

You sure do seem to have a pretty in-depth understanding of what they want to do.

How did you get to these conclusion?

Did they say something?

Or are you just filling it in for them based on what you think is going to happen?

2 Likes

But that would effect his low ranked play too much. They are trying to NOT remove him from low ranked play.