Doing bad on a character does that affect entire player MMR?

So with this account I try everything and everyone. I have no shame.

(Fictional example) Now if I tried sombra and just couldn’t get it and we lost, my delta mmr goes down. But next game I do 100% solider who maybe I’m a GM. But I have to overcome that bad sombra try out? But to overcome I have to play beyond the loss I have to play “beyond” GM for at least a couple of games.

My question is, for how long does that bad sombra lag stat with me? Forever? Is that fair? Do I now have to grind sombra to get my per char stats up to save my MMR?

No. Your MMR goes up as you win and down as you lose, that’s all. It’s essentially just a scaled SR, it’s not that complicated.

1 Like

According to what Jeff Kaplan said, for competitive, with the introduction of Role Queue, there are 3 MMRs tracked for Competitive.

1 MMR for Damage
1 MMR for Support
1 MMR for Tank

So, what you do in a damage game impacts your damage MMR. There’s a limit to how much your MMR can be impacted by a single bad game, so take some comfort in that. If you have an off game, it doesn’t matter which heroes you used, the consequences are basically the same.

They have said that when judging your performance, they’ll take your stats on the heroes you played and compare them with the average for your MMR for that hero. That will determine how much your MMR moves as a result of that game, but then the impact is effectively over. You have a new MMR, and your next game will impact the MMR again.

1 Like

So I think you just confirmed my theory but with a twist. If you do bad your delta mmr is going to take a hit. But switch back to your main - and your not going to increase that chars mmr so therefore your mmr is not going to go up substantially. But you still got that bum char “in your records”.

So basically to get an MMR boost I can go back and find a bum char I played way back when - because once you played it lasts forever - and maybe didn’t do so hot and do really well and win and myoverall MMR will go up MORE than playing my main and doing average?

There is no character MMR. Just the 3, 1 per role.

No, it doesn’t compare to your past performance. It takes the average across the player base for that character, at basically that point in time. (not sure how wide the statistical data goes, either in MMR range or in time range).

I think you’re over-complicating things. They look at the current game result, then compare your statistics to other people playing the same character across all games, but within your general skill tier, and adjust slightly. The most significant factor for the impact to MMR is whether you won or lost.

If you win AND play with stats that were well above the average, then your MMR is going to go up more than if you won and played with average stats. etc.

2 Likes

Ok fears smothered.

New fears emerge about smurfs raising those averages per rank… but I’m sure majority will keep them reasonable.

So, that’s actually a problem Sub 1000 SR I believe. I don’t think it’s a problem silver - plat like some people claim. For every new account that’s actually a GM, there’s a new account that’s actually belonging in Bronze, so in the middle, it all averages out.

I think there’s a real thrower problem, and there is one thing we can do right now… Go to LFG and report any thrower groups you see.

The other solution is a proposal that I doubt will get implemented: Competitive Suggestion - Solo Queue

3 Likes

The average performance is only relevant for the PBSR adjustment, which we’ve been assured is ‘a small factor’… winning or losing is the primary factor. In any case, it shouldn’t substantially impede progress.

Also, smurfs throwing games is also averaged in, so it shouldn’t be that bad of a skew.

1 Like