Does watching reruns of OWL give tokens?

Nah man. Or else people would just repeat watch VODs to gain tokens.

2 Likes

Actually, yes they do. I have confirmation from Blizzard themselves in a support ticket

1 Like

It has be on Twitch as far as I know with your linked twitch/battle.net account and you have to watch the match finish and you will get tokens you missed. I even double checked on a match I missed.

Below is a copy/paste of their response to me. This is from a Blizzard Support Ticket:

You can get tokens for watching reruns as well, so be sure to load up any matches you might’ve missed live.

As far as requirements for getting the tokens for watching goes, you must meet the following requirements to earn League Tokens:

Your Blizzard account must be associated with a participating country.
You must link your Blizzard account to the service you’re using to watch the match.
You must be logged in while watching the match.
You must be watching the match when the map victory screen appears.

Each time a map victory occurs, not only will eligible viewers receive a token, but a percentage of lucky fans also will be awarded 100 League Tokens. You should receive these tokens shortly after the match ends. Keep the following points in mind while watching to make sure you earn your tokens:

Disable any ad blockers for Twitch while watching.
Google Chrome has a power saving feature which will pause a broadcast if you mute the tab and navigate to a different tab—this will prevent you from earning tokens.
If watching on Twitch, make sure your Twitch profile in the upper-right corner says you’re watching Overwatch League.

9 Likes

Keep in mind though, that this refers to their live stream rerunning the previous broadcast. They usually start this some time in the morning EU time.

NOT the vods.

4 Likes

It does include vods because the match I watched was a vod. I missed two maps on it. I checked my tokens before and after. I earned 2 more tokens afterwards.

EDIT: I do load up the full series vod, not the individual maps and it works for me

1 Like

I always watch the full run VODs on Twitch the next day and have so far not gotten a single token from those.

I do get tokens when watching the normal broadcast, or the replay though.

So maybe your 2 token came from something else you watched before?

4 Likes

No, it doesnt… especially for Poland (we cant get OWL tokens at all… my country so beautiful! :smiley: )

1 Like

I purposefully didn’t watch the Dallas vs Florida match yesterday and waited till this morning to check my token count so there wouldn’t be delayed token rewards from the matches I did watch. I had 211 tokens in game before loading up the vod of the Dallas Vs Florida match. I finished watching the series, waited like 15 minutes, checked my token count in the game and it’s now 215. 4 tokens awarded for watching 4 matches on a vod. Now I do watch the full 2 hour vod and not the individual map videos- that might be factor.

EDIT: To clarify, since there were 5 matches to that series, the first match had played out in the background before I turned it off yesterday, so that’s why it wasn’t 5 tokens today.

I always watch the full run VODs on Twitch the next day and have so far not gotten a single token from those.

If you’re watching the FULL run vods then I’m out of ideas of why it isn’t working but it’s working for me :confused:

Maybe skipping the fluff in between games is not allowed?
I tend to do that…

Mmm sorry to kick but this thread is the first hit on Google when searching for “overwatch tokens rerun”. I can tell for sure that watching official reruns doesn’t give you tokens at all, well at least for me it doesn’t. So if anyone ends here through Google (like me a couple of weeks ago), here you go. Tried multiple days on multiple occasions but received jack sht. It’s not a region problem or a browser issue because watching live streams always do grant me tokens.

2 Likes

1 YEAR OLD THREAD!

Back to the future.Lol

So can I get points for watching replays? XD

Sorry for necro this old post but I’m also curious 'bout this, now that the OWL has change to Youtube only. Can I get tokens for watching replays?

For the official “encore” replays on the Overwatch League youtube channel: yes, you do get points if your battle.net and youtube accounts are properly connected (…or get points again, if you watched the live stream before already).

Now please let this thread rest in peace for the next decade.

1 Like

Big thanks! And haha alright, I’ll let it rest now.

Edit: Sorry but how can I tell if one clip on the OWL youtube channel is “encore” and eligible for tokens? Does I have to watch encores live or just replays works?

You will NOT get any reward for watching clips/videos on youtube. The rewards only work for live streams, and for every one live stream there is usually one encore stream a few hours later, both of which reward tokens for watching once per account. You get those tokens in intervalls of 30 or 60 minutes, so to see if you accounts are linked properly you should watch for over an hour after linking and then log in to the game, where you should get some tokens.
Also if you just want to “leech tokens”, you can open the stream in a new browser tab and mute said tab - that way you will continue to be eligible for rewards even if you browse around in another tab.
You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Appreciated for the info. But damn I’m in Asia and seem like both live games and encores are run at the morning (2am~5am) for me, which is pretty suck : ( Missed out so much on these.