Does quickplay really have MMR?

So blizzard says that quickplay has MMR which matches you with people of a similar skill level. But I am extremely sure this is made up. Here’s an example, My SR on DPS hovers around 2600 so if MMR is present I should be matched with and against people in high gold - low diamond right? In comp I do get matched with and against people of this range but in qp, that’s a hellhole. For the past few days unless I grouped up, most of the people in my qp games can’t even play comp yet, or if they can then they are low gold to even silver. I seriously think that Blizzard is lying about having qp MMR and I feel like it should be implemented. What do you guys think?
Thanks for reading this whole thingamajig, have a cookie :cookie:
Update: Got another trash match today, enemy team mostly knew what they were doing except for orisa, but my team’s mei thinks that he beam has infinite range and doesn’t know he has a secondary fire and when he swapped to bastion he sat outside spawn(volskaya attack 2nd point) and the only thing I saw him kill was torbjorn’s turret. Our McCree also can’t aim and our sigma is new to the game, the only people on my team who cooperated were the healers. MMR is real screwed up. ( I got gold damage and objective kills as rein, whenever me and my friends play DPS we always get gold damage, elims and objective kills which should be expected from a DPS)

Yes, QuickPlay uses your Competitive MMR and vice-versa. But in QuickPlay you do not gain or lose your hidden MMR. QuickPlay matches people close to your MMR range, but it’s still very wide to reduce queue times and just make the game more casual experience.

1 Like

I don’t think their competitive rank matters, strictly speaking. If they’re getting grouped with you, then maybe they’ve been consistently performing at a level similar to yours. That, or you’ve been performing at a lower level than you should be for your rank.

1 Like

I see, thanks for the reply. Maybe Blizzard should make the range slightly smaller hehe

Ah, the only reason I feel that this is not true is because most matches with bad matchmaking are completely one sided and most of the matches last about 5 minutes.

That would make impossible to find a game in top500 rank. They have a big struggles with finding a game in comp already…

Maybe just make it so people under level 25 play with other people under level 25 cuz being forced to carry people who are new is annoying and getting steamrolled as a new player is discouraging.
Edit:and steamrolling is boring

How often is this happening, though? I get games with very new players/players of lower rank sometimes too, but I don’t think it’s happening all the time. Then again, I actually don’t check that often. I might start to check more and see if I notice a lack of consistency.

1 Like

Not too often, just very annoying when it happens

1 Like

They already do. I was looking how my friend bought a new account and started playing OW. His matchmaker consisted mostly of 10-24 levels range.

But also this MMR system can make players with below 25 play with levels of gold portrait. So basically, if you are stuck with 25s for some reason, you might want to play comp for a bit, since the system might be unsure about your MMR for a couple of reasons (like long inactivity in comp).

Edit: 25s can play with gold portraits because they are smurfs. QuickPlay also determines your MMR if you haven’t played comp.

1 Like

Alright, I just stopped playing comp for a bit cuz I got tilted lmao
Edit: Oh crap guess I gotta start playing more comp

that’s just plain wrong

qp/arcade has its own mmr and it’s purely based on your quickplay/arcade performance

it has zero impact on comp and comp has zero impact on qp

the matchmaker is also way more lenient in how stringent it matches people in qp and you rather get a fast game with a 1000 SR range

2 Likes

Then read the “Matchmaker explained” topic somewhere in the ancient tombs of forums.

I am beeg confusion.

you mean How Competitive Matchmaking and Rating Works (Season 19)

where it clearly says that qp has it’s own mmr?

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification