Does feedback matter or are we stuck with this?

Fix is a strong word, but Jeff Kaplan hopes, and I agree with him that people who use alternate accounts for the purpose of protecting their “Main” SR will have less incentive to do so, as they can go play an off-role and have a separate SR for that on their main account. Jeff and Seagull talk about it in the interview below.

1 Like

anyone else wondering how OP has time to play if they work “at least 80 hours a week”?

Its doable, I used to work that much and still have time to play. Its an insomniacs world.

Feedback has never mattered. Unless you’re Top500, Seagull, or OWL. Beyond those 3? Nope. Hell, even most Top500 players, Blizz cares zero about.

Regardless if your Feedback is 100% truthful. No. Does not matter.

Now if you’re some Hyper Popular Streamer that gets to actually meet with OW Devs? Sure. Throw them in there also.

In short, none of the feedback any of us gives matter. You’re not in the inner circle, and therefore you feedback is moot.

Best advice? Play another game. There are better FPS games out there where you’re not beholden to your teammates to ‘rank up’, or worry about stupid things like ‘comp’.

Wasn’t it feedback that got us this system?

1 Like

Personally I’m hooked on the game again, it’s a lot more fun this way and I’m actually improving whilst getting to play the heroes I want to. I’ve had much less leavers and throwers in my games, and people trying to work together seems to have improved a little in my experience.
I’ve also managed to climb to diamond on support and it’s really addictive to have 3 SRs to work towards, I love it. Happy camper here.

And they would most likely not do beta season if feedback would not matter. But its more about how to make the shift better and not completely reverse it back when some people dont like it.

What the entire population does as demonstrated through monitoring data is much stronger feedback than what people say in the forums.

Would you rather pay attention to people saying it’s not fun, or look at session data which says how long people play comp vs other modes? How long people play, how quickly they queue back up, how often people get reported for toxic behavior, how often people get endorsed, these are the types of numbers that really reflect how happy people are with the beta season.

They did test it even before PTR, PTR after, now beta season. They knew it will work like this, they designed it like this. So i highly daubt they will change it now.

Honestly to do placement differently would be much harder. To design it.

I was against role queue for a long time, the closer it got to being real I could see some benefits.

Now I am having some of the best games I have ever had in Overwatch and I’m playing for longer than I ever did.

I think it possibly needs some small tweaks to occupy dps as they wait and also shows a need for more tanks DPS players would want to play, but all in all I would say it has been a great success.

This is going to happen. The feedback they are looking for is if something is atrociously off. This isn’t going to be amazing right out the gate, it’s going to take time. People who are bad at certain roles are going to drop over time and if you’re good at roles, you’ll rise.
My one qualm with the system is the SR gap you can be queued with. I had a 2600 plat support on my team and a 1400 silver tank.

Only the beta season had sufficient population to test placements. PTR was just for queuing problems and display / basic SR gain calculation bug checking. They specifically cautioned against judging the changes based on PTR match quality.

i’m pretty sure feedback doesn’t matter (unless its an obvious proveable bug); not balance changes or anything like that.

Try to name 1 thing from the forums that Blizzard actually reponded to and took action on.

Yup, that is exactly why I created a second account.

Will the new role queue with separate SRs for each role make you more likely to just play your main account?

Zoomers can’t handle too much choice OP. Their pea brains can’t comprehend it.

But match quality is not design. Match quality is affected by it. They had to know it will work like this so they are most likely ok with it. It worked exactly like this on ptr. Open beta is just last step to test if there is not something critical, some kind of bug or idk. They said new season starts 1. You know blizzard, if they said a date i think they are pretty confident with it.

I dont think you believe that they would suddendly change it without using ptr and beta again. Implementing big change in placement system cant be tested over night. Unless they would completely reset beta role q now , change the placement system and implement it 1.

But i think it will go like this. Its not perfect but not end of the world either . It will just take few weeks to stabilize sr for roles.

Jeff said they will, so… Yes. I believe him.

He said they are having the beta season to tweak a number of settings with regard to fine tuning the placements and adjustments from match results to improve matchmaking and MMR outcomes. One of those things they’re tweaking is how quickly your MMR adjusts during the placements. If they came up with data that suggests they still need 10 placements, or they can detect situations where they need more placements for some people, they’d be willing to make that happen.

As Jeff says in the interview, they’ve actually been talking about and working on role queue for about a year. This beta season is where all that work comes to fruition, so they’re really interested in making changes to improve things.

What I don’t know is how many changes have already been made during the beta season. I’ve said other places, and I still think it would be interesting that it would be cool during the beta season to be able to reset and redo my placements for one of my roles to see if it places me differently. I was actually surprised that my tank and support roles were as close to my main SR since I was one tricking Mei to climb from Bronze to Gold in Season 17.

I think it’s hard to distinguish between those two sentences. The accuracy of MMR is the biggest factor in determining match quality. If you start with dramatically wrong MMR values for a player / role, then it’s very difficult to have quality matches. If MANY people have dramatically inaccurate MMR then many matches are low quality. Getting accurate MMR from the data they have collected plus the placement matches is where the knobs exist that they’re tweaking during the beta season.

They want to make it so that the MMR adjustments from match results find the right balance between moving people around too much and too little. They might even be tweaking the weights of various statistics and inputs into the adjustments, finding out that stat A should be more or less impactful when moving people.

All this tweaking to MMR calculations is why MMR and how it is calculated is all private and hidden. If it was known and visible, people would be outraged just because it changed, even if the change was for the better for 99% of the population if they perceived that it hurt them personally.

1 Like

I Had to miss Jeff saying that to be honest.

About match quality. Its actualy hard to say, because many people feel their dps players are bad for example so they automaticly think its them being placed way too high. But is this really true? What if dps is doing normal job? We all know people often blame others for their mistakes in Overwatch and dps is classic scapegoat.

I think only few people can actualy truly understand why match was lost and who really underperformed. Its very hard to say that without watching replay.

Yes, unfortunately the problem of people saying “everyone else is to blame for my losses” is widespread and very toxic at its root. I honestly discount pretty much everyone who says these things.

If someone says that they personally got too high an SR in a role after placements, that’s reasonable feedback, and since there have definitely been high profile players saying that, I assume that’s a real problem. In fact, I suspect both my Tank and Support SR in the beta season are too high. They were too similar to my DPS SR. I bet my DPS SR is significantly higher than the others since I’ve been one tricking Mei to climb from Bronze to Gold in Season 17.

It is probably true that people have inaccurate MMR, and I’m hopeful that they’ve collected data and come up with a plan to adjust it successfully. We probably won’t know until Season 18 starts.