Does bad PC affect in-game performance

Jake got t500 early stages of ow on a macbook with 30 frames one tricking winston

The difference between early overwatch and now is immense. Winston is pretty bad now too.

t500 30d fps open queue basically on a awful gaming computer that is some natural talent shi*t

As a DPS? Probably not. As a tank? Probably, with a lot of work. As a support? Maybe… but less likely than tank.

Then your minimum framerate must be atrocious, it’s time to upgrade.

The good news is almost any graphics card on sale will be an improvement.

In the time being I suggest lowering every setting down absolutely as low as possible, even lower the resolution. Perhaps it goes without saying but of course close every other program running on your computer when you run overwatch and make sure there’s no dust clogging the fans. Also find out how to update drivers for your graphics card.

Officially, Blizzard recommends that the minimum graphics card (GPU) for overwatch is the ATI Radeon 4850 which is a REALLY old card, you can tell it’s old because it’s called ATI, which was bought by AMD years ago and all their cards are now AMD Radeon.

The 4850 was released less than a year after Call of Duty 4 came out.

Even with that ancient graphics card you can reach 60fps if you turn ALL the settings down to the absolute minimum.

Yeah, if you try to get performance equivalent to a Playstation 6 when the playstation 5 comes out it’ll cost you.

Matching the performance of a Playstation 5 is not hard.

The theoretical savings of a console assume you won’t need a PC for anything other than gaming, the cost of giving your basic PC a good graphics card to match the performance of a PS5 is the same or less than just getting a PS5.

Is it possible? Probably with lots of salvaging, luck and hope (lol).

But better to make sure u have steady 60Hz and a stable connection, everything else is working towards a better gaming experience.

It is possible, but hard

It is possible but you have to be even better than everyone else just to compensate for that.

Yup

That’s pretty much a no brainer.
Sometimes a battle can win because of frame differences.

Any duel or battle to hold point will tank your fps. And put you at major disadvantage.

“Back in the day” I use to think my Q3 Arena fps bench of 24 was fine because it “felt” smooth still. Until the chaos actually starts. Then you realize how little wiggle room you have.

Wyoming Mist did an excellent post on improving PC in game performance. It helped me a lot

Similar story here - I started out in 2017 on a bad laptop that didn’t even have a graphics card. 15 - 19FPS, mud graphics, but at least my internet at the time was pretty sharp. I used a wireless mouse on an uneven surface, too - Not even a mousepad. Just a rickety desk. I placed 600 Bronze…To be fair I was also unbelievably garbage, but my awful gear/set-up didn’t help at all.

It’s just natural that if your own equipment is impairing you in some way, you can’t take full advantage of what skills you do have. IE, constantly DCing and losing SR due to bad internet, the game constantly stuttering and lagging due to low FPS - That stuff is going to hurt your performance.

I play at 144fps. I have like a 13 ms advantage over someone who plays at 60 fps alone. Not to mention how much easier it is to track someone. Going back to 60 fps from 144 feels like I’m lagging.

Tracer feels like a different hero going from 60 fps to 144.

I think it affects it, but not a huge huge amount. Frogger for one said that once he got a better PC he jumped up nearly 200 sr in a matter of days.

ok I will try to switch to good pc I was already playing on the worst graphics on a laptop and 20fps
I’m bad at PCs but I have 8gb ram on it but how come my game still Sh*t
is it the monitor?

Good hardware makes a huge difference unless you have the game sense of a rock.

A high refresh monitor with lots of frames would be a night and day difference compared to what you’re getting now. Even 60hz monitors with 60-70fps is mediocre and crap nowadays, let alone the 20fps you’re getting.

Hardware matters. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Yea fps doesn’t matter that much if you are playing hero that doesn’t require much aim.

CPU and GPU are by far the largest influences on framerate. Memory speed and latency can also have a large impact (Overwatch in particular is known to get good gains from higher memory speeds). The amount of memory doesnt always mean much, though 8GB is a little low by today’s standards. It depends a lot on how many applications you have open and what is running in the background. If you’re interested in a new PC and you dont know too much, I would probably reocmmend looking into some prebuilt gaming PCs. They are going to be more expensive than building it yourself, but you’ll guarantee everything works.

The monitor will not impact your performance at all, it is merely a limiting factor for what can be shown. For monitors there are essentially two primary things to be concerned with when it comes to gaming: The refresh rate, and the response time.
The refresh rate is basically how many frames the monitor can physically display per second. A 60hz monitor can display 60 frames per second, and even if your PC is running it faster than that, you will not actually see any more (though it may still reduce the latency by running faster than that). The higher the refresh rate, the smoother the motion will appear (assuming you can maintain that framerate).
Response time is basically a measurement of the latency of how quickly pixels can change color between frames. Poor response times lead to an effect called ghosting where you essentially see an “after image” of the previous frame on the monitor because it’s not updating quickly enough. Sometimes it may just appear like motion blur. Generally speaking, any modern 144hz display should be sufficient for the average player. The type of panel in a display will influence these factors - for example, there are three primary types of displays: TN, VA, and IPS. TN is generally the fastest with the lowest response times, but color accuracy and viewing angles are much worse, and maybe people dont like them as a result. Though, most newer IPS panels in the higher price ranges are fairly competitive vs TN in that regard. I would generally stay away from VA panels. They are considered very slow and have pretty bad ghosting effects on darker images.

My recommendation if you’re not very knowledgable about PCs is to find a prebuilt PC and then invest in a midrange 144hz 1080p display. I also recommend a gaming mouse - office grade mice are not suitable for gaming. The sensors do not track accurately enough, and can introduce smoothing or acceleration which is considered highly detrimental to aiming. A decent mechanical keyboard and set of headphones are also good ideas to invest in, but are probably much lower on the priority list than the rest.

I peaked masters on my laptop on which the game would run at like 30-50 fps with very bad frame drops to even sub 15 at times. I would basically have good or bad days where the fps magically were more stable/higher than on other days.

Do note that I mainly play Mercy, so take that as you will.

Now I’m playing on a proper PC with 60hz/100fps. While it’s still 60hz, the experience has improved for me by a lot. Am I T500 now? Eh, I haven’t played enough so I’m still sitting in masters. But so far my peak is just above 4k (T500) in open queue at least.

Now, what definitely improved for me, aside from the feeling and all, is my performance in widow hs customs. And I reckon I could improve even more with 144hz.