Does anyone else feel like they took a masterpiece and

Flushed it down a massive toilet?

I guess we’ll have to see the final product…from what i can see so far im not optimistic. especially for support players.

This is absolutely not the game i fell in love with six years ago. its a version of COD now…imo

not to mention these que times. man. its three dps two support now…

100 Likes

If you think its like CoD you have either never played CoD or are just outright trolling.

This game is OW1 without the overwhelming amounts of CC, shields, and visual clutter. I get being negative is the “cool” thing to do on these forums but can you at least be honest with your complaints and just making nonsensical comparisons.

Oh and on your thing about Tanks, all they did was give the Tank role the tools to play how you are SUPPOSED to have been playing for years. If you climbed you played a Tank equally as aggressive as you are now. You were not a shield bot or a defensive position, you took space and did it aggressively or you lost to those who did.

39 Likes

i wasnt tryna troll. just giving my opinion. why is that trolling?

they could’ve kept it 2-2-2 and balanced better. CC was a part of the game.

and there were other things i said i thought was wrong too.

18 Likes

Mmmm, no, personally I don’t think OW was ever a masterpiece.

It was never really a good shooter.

For OW2 they certainly reduced the number of things actively making it a bad shooter (which is sensible if you’re trying to make a genre-defining action-shooter esport). But even with OW2, it’s still really not that good of a shooter, and it’s going to alienate the remaining community who likes the specific style of game OW1 is.

So, yeah, hard to say if it’s the right call. Being F2P alone probably means more people will play OW2 than would ever play OW1, though, and most people looking for shooters want to play good shooters, so maybe the old playerbase getting killed off won’t be a disaster.

2 Likes

It seems lime you never played the games you mentioned. The only thing that changes in OW2 is that you have to use natural cover more and that the matches are currently a mess because everyone experiments. Seems like you never played on the old OW1 PTR.

Queue times are horrible because they neglect supports and made not enough changes. It feels harder to play and less rewarding.

OW2 feels better because its less shooting on shields and less CC that is taking control away from you. Tanking in OW1 sucks and revolved around synergy picks. They cant balance around this. Orisa for example had to be bad because of Sigmas existence. This would only get worse and worse the more tanks would come to the games. They limit the design space. Now with only 1 you can play what ever you like. They have all to be viable as a solo tank.

The devs even said that queue times in OW2 are better then they are in OW1. Yes they are both bad but OW1 is just not enjoyable with all the shields and CC around.

6 Likes

There is no rational way you played CoD and then played OW and then saw any similarities. To get the CoD experience you would need to make everyone either a Sojourn with 100% ult uptime, a damageboosted Ashe, or buff Reapers damage by 300%, with no ult, and then you have the CoD experience. CoD has a VERY specific playstyle and it is NOTHING like OW. Might as well have compared it to GTA or a cooking simulator.

Meanwhile the over abundance of CC was probably the single most unifying bit of feedback the devs received. It might be a part of the game but the over abundance of it caused people to dislike and leave the game.

As for 2-2-2 keeping it still means you still have multiple problems: queue time issues (which have gone down for 2/3 roles), an overreliance on tank synergy that allows it to be the single highest impact part of the game, and no actions taken to counter the visual clutter which is the single biggest detriment of the game to a newer player. To solve the Tank synergy problem you would basically to gut every tank kit and basically make them have only abilities that do not work well at all together which means that you would be looking at 9 massive reworks which is just not good design.

Edit: as someone else mentioned you would also have to introduce a LOT of cover mechanics into OW to make it similar to CoD but that felt like it went without saying

3 Likes

What made it a masterpiece (among other things) was that it wasn’t a pure shooter. It combined elements of MOBA, Shooters, RPGs, and Fighting Games into a weird, messy, sometimes frustrating, but always engaging hybrid. How else would you explain the number of OW players who don’t play other FPS, and come primarily from other gaming backgrounds? Part of its appeal (for me) is that it synthesizes other kinds of gameplay with a first-person perspective in fun, surprising ways.

43 Likes

I actually like most of the changes in the beta, but I share this opinion with you in terms of visual/auditory changes. The old lighting looked the way it did for a reason; it was perfect. It was bright, even on the night time maps and it looked so colorful – that is what drew me to Overwatch.

Now I feel like the new lighting on the maps hurts to look at. Dark is too dark and light is too light. The only maps that I feel DON’T have this problem is the new maps. The old maps just look off with the new shading.

The same goes for the auditory changes. The dink when hitting a headshot and the UI noises were all so clean and crisp and now it sounds like they threw those things down the gutter for the sake of it being a “new game”. Some things were perfect and getting rid of those things has done a big disservice to OW2 imo. It might sound nitpicky but it’s the little things that count sometimes.

3 Likes

I honestly still wanna see where this came from because I found games twice as fast on the live game while the beta was up for the first week or two

5 Likes

The post after the first beta or the first interview after that. Like I said: people WANT to hate on OW2 even tho it fixes more problems that is creates. I mean to long queue times for supports can be easily fixed. The tank class plays different but is that popular that they could do 222 again xD

Removal of 2CP and introduction of push was A+. Sure the balance is some kind of questionable and a few characters are to strong or just dont feel right.

But in the end I think they are on a very good way. They know that they cant please everyone but it helps making OW better than ever.

I criticized blizz for a TON of things in the past. But currently there are not a lot of things. Yeah the big skin stuff is stupid and that Mercy change and Sym rework suck both but: they are doing something.

Its a lot better than what we got in the last 3 years and I cant stand the people that want to go back to the fiasco of a game that we had for the last years.

Sorry this was kind of a rant.

2 Likes

all I’m saying is it wasnt never a straight up shooter. i never thought it was meant to be.

im not saying thats all it is now but its a lot closer to one now then the MOBA type shooter i fell in love with. thats all im saying. in short simple terms. i don’t like typing essays. i thought i was giving my opinion and i get trashed and called a troll. my apologies community

7 Likes

Yeah, I get that.

Tbh, in an ideal world, we’d have a large selection of lower budget games that appealed to their own select audiences that adore them. I suppose that’s why I find that indie game fans tend to be the gamers that enjoy gaming the most.

But, I don’t think that Blizzard were ever really trying to make OW a niche game. In every interview they seemed quite certain that OW is supposed to be an action shooter, as many AAA games are, because action shooter fans are a large enough community that it justifies the huge budget.

I think that they were really trying to make a modern, more accessible, more mainstream TF2, with gameplay elements that allowed for players from all genre backgrounds to join in. The problem was that they never really worked out how to make a game that appeals to the core shooter audience in addition to all this. They’re certainly trying to shift the game to appeal more to the core shooter audience now, at the expense of the community that loved OW1’s style of gameplay. But, yeah, that’s inevitable if they’re not abandoning the IP, because that’s where the players are. Good shooters don’t die as fast as OW did.

3 Likes

Game started going downhill when the devs decided to change Mercy ultimate, lost me with Role Queue, and have not found their way back since then.

Their hope with OW2 is to change audiences. They no longer want to be the casual shooter for everyone and now want esports money from hardcore shooter audience. I’m part of the former audience, so if they don’t want me around, I’ll gladly leave.

3 Likes

Nonono yeh I read it, I just mean the info, because from experience I definitely didn’t see these “shorter queue times on the beta” unless they were comparing very specific regions like Europe or idk

As for the rest even though it could be “just hate on ow2” I have very clear points about why I don’t like it, first the ones you touch then others

Personally I prefer 2cp. I understand why people hate it, but with ow2 less sustain I wonder how it would’ve gone, and as to why I don’t like push, I feel like it’s too slow, but it’s also easily fixable (unlike 2cp)

Just make it like tower on Splatoon
If the winning team doesn’t contest the bot for some time, it goes back to the middle automatically

If the losing team contests the bot, it goes to the middle automatically

Both of these actions are stopped if a winning player contests the bot

This way it eliminates what I would say is why the matches are decided about who pushed further first, which is that you have to baby sit the bot, having to give up on tons of space

For the rest (this I guess)

I think if you were utility hero, you’re not important in ow2
I can’t express my frustrations enough about how much I hate what they did to sombra and mei, heck I played 2h of continues sombra on the beta and got so bored that I immediately opened up ow1 and played for 6h

And it’s because it felt unique
Right now every utility hero on DPS has been either reworked to be a “do damage brr” in different ways, or they just suck, and I felt so… Idk

Just undescribable, but safe to say I got bored

I completely understand why sombra can’t hack forever as tanks would be dead (let’s pretend Winston doesn’t exists here) but 1 second? Couldn’t it be 2? Heck screw hack even, I’d take ANYTHING to put back stealth at 2m detection radius, 4 felt awful on PTR and it hasn’t changed

1 Like

They did. It’s been a long and steady process, but the game’s gone from a golden goose that any company would kill for, into a mess that is failing to generate any interest in the time it needs it the most.

Blizzard’s management and direction with the game has been atrocious. They’ve made a mountain of blunders that reads like a satire piece you’d see in a Management 101 textbook. They fail to understand the market, their current consumers, and even their own product. As for how it could even happen is beyond me, 2016-2017 OW was such a massive success that it seemed like it would be impossible to tank, and yet it did.

And it’s miserable to watch it die in such a way. It was something that myself and almost all of my friends were invested in. We loved seeing the lore, the exciting heroes, and all the new content that would come up regularly. Almost no other game had that kind of social phenomenon, ever. Now it’s just a failed e-sport with balancing that has steadily been cutting out what made OW appealing in the first place. It’s fine if others are still excited for OW2, but all the evidence is pointing towards it being a failure before it even launches.

6 Likes

They had to do something, OW1 is basically their only online game and it was dying. I think OW2 will be good and its a good thing its not same as OW1. This gamew sometimes really needed to be more fast paced.

1 Like

I guess fair enough but it literally took the gaming world by storm at the time, and had extreme momentum right from the start and was constantly praised as “the best shooter ever made” (which I highly disagree with but y’know whatever), I think it was definitely a pretty good game and shooter, not every shooter has to follow conventional rules with the gameplay.

I’ve watched launch OW and it looks like a load of fun, before all the garbage was added on top.

3 Likes

Warcraft still immensely popular.

Never heard of that. :smiley: Must be one of those strategic nerd games (EDIT: I apologize for being so negative to Blizzard games, I love Blizzard games, I was just frustrated from few bad matches in Owerwatch.)…

I can’t tell if you’re joking but it’s a game from 2004 that a s***load of people still play.

2 Likes