Does anybody know why in the world the update is over 7gigs!?!?!?

Usually they announce a reason for such an inanely large update…but I haven’t seen any announcement about it.

Does anybody know what gives?
Thank you for any answers, just really curious.

you didnt play for a long time, right?

Nothing to do with that, I play everyday and myself got an 8GB background update. Been told it has nothing to do with Halloween event either but everything off PTR.

1 Like

Got the same thing. Basically the entire game was updated.

I think it has something to do with that so called remaster-patch.

1 Like

They did announce it

9 Likes

So this was basically them trying to fix all the sound issues. Hopefully it works. Sick and tired hearing nothing from behind, till attacks go off.

1 Like

Thanks for the link!!
So this is what they did last time to supposidly lower future download sizes, which didn’t really happen. haha
So I guess this is another 8gb patch for like 10mb smaller patches in the future? Q.Q

(I’m kidding about the 10mb thing, I know more goes into it, but I was seriously disappointed after the last remaster where they promised future patches would be significantly smaller, which they weren’t.)

1 Like

Huh, mine’s 2.51 GB
Downloading now

It did happen, for over 16 months.

Just because they do more reoptimizations doesn’t mean it wasnt working.

To help further detail the purpose of a Remaster patch, Lead Engineer Bill Warnecke explained more on Reddit the last time this happened:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/bdx9xh/why_are_ows_patches_so_large/el1f32x/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

It should be noted that remaster patches for console versions can be significantly larger than just 8 GB, and be more toward the amount 22 GB. I don’t know if this is the case this time, but I would be prepared.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for all that info!!
I like getting a better understanding of what goes into these major patches. My data limits are glad they don’t happen all that frequently though! lol

(Yes, data limits in 2019…D:)

I didn’t say it wasn’t working, I was joking with the 10mb thing. I do think patches are smaller, I just meant not by a whole lot - . =)

They said they are making “remastering”… more like compatibility patch for the Switch version.

When is/was this update? I haven’t turned on my PS4 to have overwatch update. Is this update out or not yet for the PS4?

1 Like

The update will likely be released on Tuesday. PC players can now download the background patch. Console players will have to wait until the patch goes live.

3 Likes

Oh! It’s on Tuesday for console, cool at least I know when I should expect the update for overwatch. Thanks for that piece of info :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it was 22GB for Archives this year. Thats the latest time they did one of these remasters, to my knowledge.

Dont know the size of the current one though