Does a Support Have To Heal?

It could be possible to have a support without healing. It could be a different Vishkar hero.

Weapon - charging hard light condenser - Pistol with a illuminated core - all shots must be charged to fire - with a fast charge rate - fires a very fast small hard light projectile

Passive - regenerative healing like Mercy

1. 200 hp
  2. Primes 1 target granting temporary front facing shield when standing still - ally must be within 20 meters of support to function
  3. Decoy - create a false double of the support
  4. Ultimate - Dispersion field - release a cloud of fractal lenses that creates a bubble decreases the damage for all allies standing in it. The bubble can move with the support or placed down - moving the bubble causes the ultimate to end faster - stationary bubble last 5 seconds - moving bubble last 2.5 seconds.

Actually 25 shield was considered OP on heros like tracer… the main reason it was removed

My main point is that they AREN’T useless. Going forward deadlocked on them BEING useless will only ensure you’ll never see my point. Even if you think they’re useless, accept the fact that someone may have a different opinion.

Yeah, but they still provide healing from afar that can tip a match in the favor of the one being healed. Not only is that a use, its kinda important for a game where characters don’t have to group up 100% of the time.

Zen having farther healing enables players to play farther. Pair him with Ana or Bap, and the team with the zen can push farther easier, and they can weaken enemy defenses. A key part to that is Zen’s healing.

This is conjecture based on nothing. You’re just saying this will happen out of nowhere. I’d be like me saying “Since shields are useless in OW2, they’ll give Reinhardt a jetpack, or Strike Raid from Kingdom hearts. and take away his shield!”

Majority of the people on here when they said “Tanks don’t have to tank to be tanks! Tanks should have the more independence! No one wants to sit behind a shield! Dive was the best meta! We need more carry potential!”

Hammond embodies all of that, does he not? Literally the people on here asked for Hammond.

A bold lie. I’d go so far as to say Tanks are one of the most hated roles in OW due to the shields denying kills. Actually, anything that denies kills seems to draw the hate of the people on here, since they want the game to be faster paced.

Then they buff McCree, add Hammond, leave Widow’s oneshot, nerfs shields to make the game faster paced, and you guys go “NOOO!” anyway.

You don’t know that. For all we know, OW2 may make everything worse. I’m surprised at the amount of people going “Everything will be fine with OW2 comes out…Everything will be fine when OW2 comes out!” after all that’s happened here.

I haven’t heard about that one.
Probably just consistency then.

Yet in true Blizzard fashion they take the wants of the community and make it into something worse. A hypermobile CC machine.

That reminds me of this comment

This is exactly what Blizzard is doing. I’ve noticed this since the whole double shield fiasco.

Gamers: Shields are too strong!

Blizzard: What do we do?! Do we

A.) Buff shield counters, like Sym, Bastion, and Sombra (heroes at the time that people wanted to see buffed), or

b.) nerf shields and tanks, make them unable to preform in their role, and force Meta tanks now more than ever while also requiring cascading nerfs to address the DPS getting indirectly buffed.

Then Blizzard took a hammer to that nut and bolt and broke everything by choosing “B”.

They don’t and they should. Tanks that rely on their team to get value are a lot more difficult to play, and thus way less popular. Zarya is a great example of an independent tank hero because of how her kit works, and she absolutely controls space by virtue of her damage and being difficult to get rid of without a lot of effort.

Rectangle man is vastly less fun to play than Zarya, unless you have a comp that hard enables him to not need his shield very often. Orisa struggles for the same reasons.

Its fine that you have this opinion, and honestly I don’t hate more independent tanks. I just don’t see why we can’t have both types of tanks, and ALSO have to point out people hated it when they got that independent tank.

Obviously, popularity isn’t an issue. They added ball and nothing changed, and honestly its the DPS players clogging the queue times.

Speaking of which, I don’t see why “having both” isn’t a thing people seem to want for the Overwatch franchise. Why can’t we have tanky tanks with more focus on teamwork IN THIS TEAM GAME, but also have tanks like Ball and Roadhog?

I’ve never seen teamwork so hated before. It’d be like playing Final Fantasy Tactics and complaining that the game’s too slow.

1 Like

Do you remember the 1st Metas i can’t remember mercy had been used much there

Think? Its a fact. Look at every other heal ability, then look at Zen’s. Even Lucio’s heals are better. Zen’s heals will not pocket a teammate. So what’s the point of using them?

They certainly dont. His ult tips the match in his team’s favor. So does discord, but not his heals.

Based on nothing? OW2 will kill the mandatory teamwork altogether. Look at Rein, as if he wasnt a hard-hitter already, he’ll be stronger in OW2. Winston gets a new dmg ability in OW2.

Then there’s the fact that Blizzard already nerfed heals to the ground. Nearly every chatacter in that category gets to focus more on dmg than heals. So the only thing left to do is remove heals altogether. Barriers will eventually be gone altogether too. After all, Blizzard themselves said that Tanks in OW2 wont just stand & defend.

Well, before Overwatch 2 they were wrong. Tanks were supposed to defend to be Tanks. It seems more like Hog players were saying otherwise. But they get their wish.

More like DPS hate it, which is baffling to do now because Blizzard killed Rein & Sigma’s barriers, while the remaining ones are next, and in the meantime they’re easily shot down.

I do. First off, I play Paladins, so I’m already prepped for 5v5.

Secondly, Blizzard has been going in an FPS direction for years. Ive been anticipating the day they finally stop being slow on that.

They want all DPS, at least the game will be fun for everyone again, instead of just the 1% of the playerbase.

5v5 means one less enemy to deal with & 1 less teammate to worry about. No teammate reliance means it’d be possible for everyone to do alot in a match alone, it means no more trash teammates holding other players back. And wont ult gain happen alot slower there? So that means less or maybe no tryhard ults at the very last second.

Honestly, there’s nothing bad about it. And if there’s a huge roster at Day 1(there better be. If it wasnt for OW2 we’d have, what, 5 new characters by now), then matches will vary.

It was top 8 most broken things this game has ever seen. It countered like 23 ults on a 6 second cooldown. Would legit quit and never come back if they brought it back in any way

I quite literally listed a few good reasons to use his heals.

You’re throwing if you’re not using Zen healing.

You have the advantage if you’re being healed and the guy you’re fighting isn’t. Even Soldier 76’s healing can dramatically tip the fight in his favor. By getting a steady pocket, you change the TTK for everything buy extremely high burst damage. The person getting healing WILL take longer to kill, and again, Zenyatta has a wide range of influence.

Of course his healing matters. The fact that you don’t think it does would be surprising if I wasn’t on the OW forums.

Yes.

There’s direct footage of Reinhardt being absolutely useless in OW2. You’re literally saying “No, don’t believe what you saw! Don’t believe your lying eyes, believe me!”

Now, they COULD change Rein for the better, but I have no reason to say that they will.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You guys are really ruining Overwatch. Who in the world would want to play that bland, sterile version of what was supposed to be a hero shooter? Why would I play that over Call of duty or Titan fall?

At least there I can get different guns. Titan fall even has Abilities, and they let me use my damage amping shield whenever its off CD. I never have to worry about people crying over it.

In Rein’s case he’ll back up and die. I guess that’s more than defending.

Overwatch isn’t paladins. Just because something works there, doesn’t mean it’ll work in Overwatch. In fact, I bought Overwatch because I didn’t want paladins. If OW2 is just going to become like an F2P game, but you have to pay to get in, why would I?

And OW has been going downhill for years. Coincidence?

The game will not be fun for everyone. If I wanted to play DPS, I’d just queue for DPS! I’d just play Hog or Ball! I chose OW because it was different from other shooters, why should I settle for it becoming a worse version of itself?

Overwatch will lose time and time again to games with better gun mechanics. It can’t even stand up to Halo: Combat Evolved, and that games old as heck. Why is everyone so happy to have the game dumbed down; I don’t even think it’ll help queue times since people will just choose to be the better shooters in this new shooter OW.

Earlier in the game’s life, that was a legitimate viewpoint, as evidenced by the four base support heroes, who ranged from “0 healing and good utility” to “50 steady hps on a single target and that’s pretty much all she does.”

Now we’ve got Ana and Bap, who have the best utility in the game and they also do the most healing. Heroes like that leave heroes like Moira, who trades utility for high healing, or Symmetra, who trades healing for high utility, without a niche. “Main Healer” used to mean Lucio and Mercy. Now those very same heroes are equated to “we don’t have enough healing” and DPSes have to be balanced around the idea that teams will always have a boatload of combined healing, and at least one support capable of aoe healing, main healing, and dishing out a full tank healthbar’s worth of burst healing.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens when OW2 comes back, but as of now, the geniuses of Team 4 have us developed into a corner.

I think going forward into OW2 Supports should be primarily utility/damage and have a secondary focus on healing like tanks will have a secondary focus on barriers.

I do not want Supports to be heal slaves to the singular tank.

As long as they can consistently generate defensive assists I’d call a hero a support. Of course there are very few ways to accomplish defensive assists outside of healing so I suppose the answer is “no, but healing makes the most sense”.

Torb 1.0 (and whatever iteration had lower passive scrap generation) was pretty much a support. Sombra is a support if your team is willing to run to health packs. Zarya with a 2-second (or less) projected bubble cooldown would be a support. Baptiste without right-click or regen burst would still be a top-tier support.

Healing just happens to be the most direct way to provide support while still being engaged in a fight so they couple together really well.

I think there’s room for another Zen like support in OW2 . As long as they have another “basically immortallity” ult.

If you say so…

“NERF THIS”

Because this is how the game was originally designed with relatively high ttk, and it was well enjoyed. If you want brainless shooting without moba like elements, maybe you should go play CoD. Or Warzone, if you’re feeling fancy and wanna use half your brain.

Are you talking to me? Because I’m the one advocating for moba elements, high TTKs and teamwork. Its why I bought the game. I’ve also said that if I didn’t want those I’d just go to cod and let Overwatch just be a memory.

Playing rectangle man or horse robot when your team refuses to work with you is the most advanced form of torture known to man. When the team enables you, you’re literally a god among men, but when you’re the Shield Bot that gets complained at when nobody is actually using your shield, it’s miserable.

I think concluding that tanks “need to be tanks” when you really mean “they should be rectangle man echoes” is the wrong direction to take the tank role.

1 Like