Do YOU know why no one wants to play "Tanks"? I DO!

Hello fellow OW Grinders,
With the new 2-2-2 upon us we all are struggling to find our roles and I’ve found out why NO ONE wants to play a tank. Because the other roles like Healers and DPS are so much more fun. Tanking just means: Let people shoot you all day and hope you have a dedicated healer to survive.

The problem with tanks…
1. The accuracy for tanks seems to be harder than the other 2 classes.

2. It seems to me the relationship between Tanks and Healers requires more than just a DPS who runs back for heals when he wants to. A tank rarely has the opportunity to look for health-packs so they really solely on healers.

3. As a tank you are a giant target. Easy for characters like Junkrat or Reaper to just farm you unless you have a pocket healer.

4. Winston, Zaria and DVa really aren’t tanks. They can NOT solo carry or barely protect anyone unless the tank player knows to ONLY do that. In most situations I see those players run around looking for kills like a DPS and blowing cool-downs needlessly. That being said, The biggest factor in tanks is the ability to set up protective barriers to keep teammates safe. There are only currently 4 tanks who can sort of do this Rienheart , Orisa being the more dependable ones with Sigma and Winston to follow due to their shields being such low health making it unreliable to protect for any amount of time.

So, Blizzard… Can you please for god’s sake give tanks some sort of damage buff or accuracy mechanic (not that Rienheart needs one) to reduce crowd control or damage other than their shields? All the tanks are huge targets for the most part so shouldn’t all of them get the “Steadfast” passive like Rienheart too? Yes, I know Sigma floats he can be an exception.

1 Like

Haha, tank damage is the #1 problem in this game, they do WAY too much. What they need is fun roles to create space, not “Do 95% of DPS level damage with 1600% of their survival”.

8 Likes

Tanks already do too much damage, imo. I say take D.VA and Winston, maybe Zarya, and give them LESS damage, but more “Tankiness.”

6 Likes

I can confirm, getting headshots as widow or having good tracking on tracer is way easier than swinging around a hammer at whatever is in front of you

5 Likes

Tanks are boring pretty much. 2-2-2 will not make them more fun. Overall dps was the most popular role because it was the most entertaining.

I don’t mind tanks personally but they aren’t popular for good reasons.

1 Like

But people complained about Defense Matrix, I mean, you can’t be suggesting actually making the tanks be good at tanking again?

People won’t stand for it.

3 Likes

do you know another reason people dont like tanks…as a tank you have a job…to make sure dps have fun…they tell you what to play. they ignore you if you ask them to play something useful to the team…so i as a tank player have stopped listening to the wants of dps…if they can play whatever they plz…they can put up with me 1 tricking Hammond and sigma…seems fair.

3 Likes

no not at all, first winston is definitly a main tank an can carry a game

second tanks are not there to protect their teammates primarily, they’re there to be big and scary and turn all attention to them so the fragile roles can do their job without being in danger

if you as a tank get the enemy team to blow 3 cooldowns and shoot exclusively you for several seconds you did your job, because that should be enough for your team to kill 2 or 3 people on their team

your most important skill as a tank is to know when to be aggressive and be the giant monster in the enemies face, and when to hold back to outsustain the enemy tanks

2 Likes

Zarya can hard carry as long as the team keeps the high ground busy.

Dva can hard carry as long as either Winston or a dive dps are in the comp.

Winston can only carry if a dive dps is in the group. Winston cannot carry bad dva easily without a dive dps because they don’t target the right things.

1 Like

Or Ana nades.

My biggest fear when playing tank is getting purpled.

My biggest fear when healing…is my tanks getting purpled.

I’m not a great Ana, so it’s not always easy to counter.

1 Like

If they don’t want dps queue times to keep going up then they need to reverse a ton of the goats nerfs and dps buffs that essentially made tanking so frustrating.

Blizzard need to act quickly or people will quit due to long queue times.

3 Likes

10 minutes or less is not a long time :slight_smile:

1 Like

i play mainly tanks so this is invalid :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I say give tanks like 1000 hp but nerf their damage hard. Have Rein require 7 swings to kill a 200 hp target etc.

that would be awful, taking for for an example his swing is reason enough to chose him, 7 swings to kill a tracer with hammer twice the size of her with that much mobility?

Eh, I enjoy all tanks but Winston. I personally think Sigma needs very minor buffs. Winston and D.Va needs buff that increase their dive-ness.

its MT and OT. imo only rein and orissa are MT. some say sigma but atleast not yet. people just try flank with him and go killing because his dps is to high. sigma at the moment NEVER put any shield for the team. Its like moira never use heal orb if she isnt almost dying here self.
Then is the ot, rest of the bunch. i dont call hog tank either. well maybe he is but people dont play him like one. imo tank is the hero that soaks dammage,pushing in front of team and they are quite deadly. hog usualy hunting kills flanking 24/7 providing no help for the healers or the other tank. and yes he can get kills but he is actualy not helping the team. hog is not more a tank than a tracer with 600hp and selfheal. he is yeah like tank/dps . but they play him like pure dps.
There are still gonna be problems when have 2-2-2rq just because people dont want or dont try to play theire hero right and making it a living hell for the rest of the team.
So as you say maybe some think tanking is boring but just look what happens when you give a tank alot of dps possibilities. they play him like a dps and not a tank.
I feel like sigma was the last this game needed or atleast the way he is beeing played atm in plat and gold"it might change"
i have played a tons of games like 150 after the queue came and dps i enjoy the best, tanking is okey to but then i MT. i feel OT is not my kinda game.
Healer is the far worst to queue for atm. my last game i healed at havana with ana. WE had tracer,soldier,ana,baptiste,hog and rein.

Tracer was flanking. soldier, was flanking, hog was flanking leaving 3 people on point under heavy dps 24/7 by enemy team. flanking can be good if you actualy can atleast mannage 1 kill or be in los for a heal if you get in trouble. Healer and mt got blaimed for the loss.

So if tanking is boring or not well i think mt’ing is okey but you still are very in the grace of your team. people still make stupid comps or not playing the hero the way its ment to be and then start blaming everyone because they have NO IDEA have to do teamwork, and they have been playing 3 years of overwatch and still dont know what teamplay is.
Thats often why tanking is “boring” as you call it.

yes and no your opinion is based on your personal experience.
I’ve already played with awesome sigmas that shield the group. Orissa and sigma are a damage mitigation force to be reckoned with.
Moira out heals Mercy in most matches i play.

3 Likes

im not talking about moira pure healing. healing the team after the fight if they survived with here aoe and getting gold has NOTHING to do with good healing.
Okey about the sigma , i havent seen it yet but im sure i will see a good sigma.
Offcourse its based on my experience, i cant base it on everyone else experience. but i play alot so see alot of people and how they play theire hero of choice.
Im just pointing out very obvious problems

I think having double health is nice but when you have 10x the hitbox size it kinda cancels out the advantage.