Do whole SR reset in season 18

New role q is coming and also new tank in season 18 …it will be great if the season does a full whole reset of sr in placement.It will not depend on previous season’s SR .It will be a full reset and an oppurtunity to those players who r stuck in ello hell

5 Likes

I totally agree with that, please Blizzard.
Right now I’m gold with both healer and tank and that doesn’t really help me to know whether i’m better or not with which role :V
So yea, an MMR reset is defienetly needed, I wanted that since season 15 or something . _.

Honestly, considering that this is an entirely new system… any data they have been “tracking” to make individual SR per role “accurate” has to be skewed then. What does it base it on? It has to account for current MMR… which is just building and building from previous seasons before that. There have been new characters added, total reworks of characters, META changes… since season 1. A full MMR reset when you implement an entirely new system to judge player’s skill seems fair to me.

Honestly though, say players who have maintained above diamond for consecutive seasons to be excluded from this. They have fought to be on the top500 board, avoiding decay, etc.

But a whole new way to play comp, with a new way to track individual roles… different SR PER ROLE? Why NOT do an MMR reset? Mind blowing to me that that hasnt happened. I feel like that DID happen for the PTR (I cant remember) because when I did role queue on the PTR, I placed over 1k SR higher than I am on live. I just did my placements on live with role queue and im only like 200 SR within my last rank for season 17. The most anyone I know has placed above their final SR for last season is 300.

I don’t get it. Seems straight forward to wipe out MMR for most all ranks (excluding top tier, above like mid diamond? I dunno) to get a full realization of how this new system ACTUALLY works.

3 Likes

Resets are bad. Resets won’t happen. Jeff Kaplan and Seagull discuss in the interview.

2 Likes

There’s no such thing.

Elo hell is a excuse for your own short comings.

1 Like

The role lock SR reset was done when they announced the update last month, if you haven’t been try-harding since then you missed the band wagon.

There was no reset.

They don’t use SR for matchmaking.

They started tracking the ways that your MMR for each role was different than your overall MMR months before the announcement.

Actually it was anounced they were were gathering data for a reset last month, who knows if it actually happened yesterday?
I think it did as I placed +700 Sr higher then where I placed the last 10+ seasons(every season I placed 2500 but ended 2900-3200). Seems pretty logical to me that a 700 SR difference after 10 seasons of the same placement with no regard to the season before would mean a reset.

A reset would mean everyone starts at MMR 0, which is roughly equal to SR 2350. That definitely did not happen.

There are other valid non-reset reasons that could explain a 700 SR increase in role queue that Jeff describes. It is possible that you flex too much. Jeff said his support role SR was a full rating (~500 SR) lower than his tank SR.

I think it’s actually very very odd that you place 700 SR lower in previous seasons than you end, because placements start at the same MMR / SR as the end of the season. Maybe you do something odd during placements in normal seasons that didn’t happen in the beta season.

There is no reset at the end of normal seasons. Placements provide extremely typical SR gains and losses, for instance, a 9-1 record where things were not smurf like god tier, the SR gain is around 200, which is close to the average of 24 SR per net win (8 * 25 = 200)

In fact, I wouldn’t expect a 700 SR drop from a 0-10 placement. Are you actually saying you dropped 400 - 700 SR in placements every season, or did I misunderstand you?

Jeff Kaplan said no reset. Resets are bad. He also said they spent a great deal of effort to track good MMR per role leading up to the season.

A reset does not haveto start at 0 if you gather data on players before the reset happens, its really simple to understand.

I would drop 500-700SR lower than what I ended at the previous season, every season. I would finished placements 2500-2600 and finish the season 500 SR higher but fall back down after next placements(even one season I played poorly intentionally to test, still placed 2500) as if the game was automatically putting me there. But yesterday I placed 3150(higher than I ended last season)

I am wondering if Blizzard can offer the option of resetting MMR vs not resetting MMR for players? As in players get to decide whether or not they want to reset their MMR. I’d like to believe that there’s an elo hell (because I myself have been stuck in a low rank myself) but I’m not too sold on the idea mainly because I’ve seen higher level plays and I know that I’ll get straight up murdered in that elo. But I’d like to believe that there are some of these players, who are genuinely hard stuck in their rank, unable to move up because they either have truly been cursed by bad teammates (I mean, let’s be real, we all had games where we truly thought we could win if people were to just group up and work together) or they might play a very team-dependent hero/role. In this new role lock system, you simply can’t change role anymore so if you’re playing support, you best be hoping you’re JJonak to carry games or you hope that your teammates aren’t bad enough as the other team that your team is luckily able to carve out a victory.

you’ve obviously never been any lower than diamond

Really? I’ve played from bronze - diamond and there’s no elo hell I can find.

U didnt solo q… My sr is from diamond to gold …I know there is a elo hell …if u r a good dps then only u can carry games on ur own but if u r playing tank or support its impossible to climb playing solo…cause 5 games u get good team mates and after that 5 games u get bad team mates…so its basically the same…

people that say a full mmr reset would be bad for the game riddle me this? when the game first launched competitive where did it get its stats from? Quickplay? hardly enough data considering the game only launched a month earlier.

Yeah I did.

You’re inconsistent

Nah.

Not true at all in the slightest. I can completely farm all gold players using Hammond only. And I can secure kills with Ana sleep and nade. Do this consistently, you’ll consistently climb.

1/3 games you can’t win
1/3 games you can’t lose
1/3 games it’s your fault

The odds are in your favor if you’re a good player. Top500 support mains are able to consistently stay in GM soloqing, so where’s the elo hell?

2 Likes

My thoughts on it, is not an whole SR reset, but a hard MMR reset. Since we are now in a locked 2-2-2 competitive system, i dont see how blizzard can track your MMR correctly from past seasons. Id say 80% of my games have been either 2-3-1 or 1-3-2, which makes proper mmr tracking for this new system more difficult. So i like the idea of using your current SR as a baseline, and then with a fresh MMR, getting you to a proper role-focused SR faster

1 Like

Brah, your sr is basically your mmr, they just choose this way to display it, else you’d have a weird float number which is the true mmr behind the sr.

Like Jeff Kaplan? He said they tested an MMR reset internally, and it went exactly as badly as they said. Match quality was poor, no one enjoyed playing.

You can listen to him for yourself in the video:

Role queue fixes that. No need for a reset.