Do the Devs read the forums?

This strongly reminds me of that spoof YouTube video of Jeff being made to say “The Eye of Kaplan now turns to Hanzo”.

I’ve been trying for over a year now for Bastion. All other F tier heroes have been or are being addressed and Bastion’s just sitting under the rug where he’s been swept to.

I feel ya. It’s been over a year for Widow too, it’s just been 8 months since I compiled a bunch of videos to have been allegedly sent to QA.

Under this rug, there’s a lot of dust bunnies here.

Oh those are quite specific reports, are you a game developer? out of curiousity can you point me to your thread with more detailed Info? Im curious about the WM hook bugs you found and what do you mean about the hitscan issues and camera recoil and with the fov culling xD

Well someone got
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/021/572/rtPJmdgf.jpg

Sure.

Above is the megathread in full which details bugs, issues, and inconveniences.

Hitscan bug

Hitscan has a particular netcode issue where the client does not double report aiming coordinates and fired shots for redundancy. This has to do with packet loss, and most other AAA FPS games have some sort of redundancy to ensure that a shot goes where you aimed – Overwatch doesn’t.

All of the information of your aiming coordinates, and weapon fired events, are sent on ONE singular packet (or just a small series of packets) and if that one packet gets dropped, the information isn’t saved. What’s supposed to happen is the information is duplicated and put in a resent packet… or sent across multiple packets to ensure the shot happened.

But Overwatch doesn’t have that. Instead, a post-processing camera animation for recoil actually changes the coordinates of your aim. If you’re aimed at someone’s head, and you fire, but a packet gets dropped, you’ll get the camera recoil animation to play out.

The resent packets will send mid-recoil animation, and have completely different aiming coordinates than when you originally fired, and cause your headshot to go high and miss completely.

The bug happens so fast that you usually require a slow-motion replay in order to see it properly. Tim Ford came out and explained this bug in detail in a blue post a while ago, and even promised a fix ASAP but nothing happened. The bug is still in the game.

Culling

Occlusion culling is a particular optimization issue that saves on system resources, by de-rendering objects that are hidden from line of sight. It keeps your framerate high.

But Overwatch has overaggressive occlusion culling, and enemies are one of those de-rendered objects. Rapidly peeking out from behind a corner causes the enemies to “pop in” to view, meaning they’re completely invisible for a frame.

The same happens when you scope in. It’s rare, but the same occlusion culling happens when you change FOVs, and it was supposed to have been fixed in a recent patch but it still happens.

2 Likes

Usually they only post on dumb threads or threads that suck up to them heavily.

Very rarely do they post on threads with hundreds of likes that showcase issues and, more often than not, their responses are clearly wrong [like a certain balance guy constantly saying that they think Sombra was going to be stronger with the obvious nerf, yet realizing they were wrong and reverting some of them].

Would you go into these forums with all the toxic whining going on 24/7?

Considering how much praise in every single blue response they make, regular involvement with the forums would actually mitigate “toxic whining”.

Makes sense. I retract my jab.

Short answer apparently no as we’ve seen with ptr feedback with Symmetra and how broken she is.

Genuinely curious, I don’t mean to be rude, but if you guys are always watching, then why do you not comment often, tend to leave threads addressing major issues in the dark, not answer our questions, give very little information on lore and balance, and ignore all of our invites to various threads that would interest you guys?

2 Likes

The bigger question;

How can a team of 100+ people monitor 2+ new threads on every subforum every minute?

Answer - they can’t.

It’s not physically possible to read everything.

I know they can’t, but there are many recurring threads about several issues. They could respond to one of those, or create a thread themselves addressing those issues.

I just feel like they read the forums but they don’t communicate, and I want to figure out why.

So seeing as you are reading this, i’ve always wanted a blizzard fighting game, or at least ever since i saw the “Blizzard outcasts - Vengeance of the Vanguished” april fools joke.
I mean Fighting EX Layer started as an april fools joke aswell. XD

This would be lit af. XD

Oh well, i’ll keep dreaming, lol.

Reading the forums and ignoring all the feedbacks. I’d rather be ignored tbh

You’re right about the fact that there is a LOT of whining around here, no doubt about that, but nonetheless not everything is whining and ranting. In fact, you can actually witness lots of constructive discussion on the forums which have the potential to be quite interesting for the devs. And the majority of those is still ignored which is just sad.

If you are really reading… Haven’t you realized that there is a problem with Mercy???

1 Like

That’s also bothering me. Not to mention that they are sending the wrong signal to the community, the “We don’t care”-signal (not saying, that they really don’t care).

How Watzlawick once stated “One cannot not communicate”. No answer is also an answer, and that is what the people on the forum are recognizing.

Also a problem is that Blizz makes game-changing decisions right now, which no one really has requested in some feedbacks, leaving the forum participants with the thought that their feedback is not read at all.

The customer orientation seems to be missing, somehow (at least that is what this lack of communication and the in-game decisions imply) … I would like to know which customer relationship management concept Blizzard persues, because some decisions are just odd and questionable. :confused: