Do Tank do too much damage right now?

Something that I’ve noticed a lot is that Tanks seem to deal quite a bit of damage, as well as being able to outlast mine even if I am nailing them. I get they are Tanks and they supposed to take abuse, but they dishing out too much?

Maybe there’s an argument there to be made. Everything is up with 2-2-2.

However, the reasons tanks dish out damage, usually short range damage, is because without damage, a space they hold poses no threat to the enemy, thus it’s not holding space at all.

17 Likes

I bet you’re one of the dps mains who complain about Queue times, then also complain that tanks need further nerfs too!

We just received a huge balance patch that nerfed the hell out of tank survivability (making them less fun to play, therefore less tanks will Q as tank). And NOW you’re making another thread trying to get tank damage nerfed?

Just stop, you’re clearly drunk

5 Likes

Please think before you speak.

The design philosophy is that tanks have good short range damage. Orisa is the only one with really far range.

2 Likes

Just because you play DPS does not mean your win condition is always W+M1. Other heroes outside DPS have to pose a threat or there’d be no point to playing them.

Tank damage is only a problem if the sustain is good too.

1 Like

No, not too much really.

It only seems that way because of the too many salty dps players with long queue times.

6 dps vs 6 dps never happened because one tank makes huge difference, even if he has no shield (Hammond), just like 1 healer does.

Hammond is no threat to 6 dps heroes.

Tanks need damage to take and enforce space, but there is the question of how much damage that requires. As of right now, I would say they deal a little too much damage for the amount of defense they provide. Of course, nerfing this would make it less fun for those people attracted to tanking by the damage and high health. Nerfing the defense leads to just fat dps with more utility though. It is a hard problem, one that changing could very well alienate many tank mains on either side.

Asked and answered.

For additional input, Orisa, though she has long range, isn’t really meant to be played that way. Much like Zarya’s alternative fire has a massive 130m range, you generally don’t want to play at that distance.

1 Like

Another person not happy until all tanks are Rein with a 500hp shield and no hammer

4 Likes

Sigma is the only tank i’d say does too much damage, but tanks are meant to be space making threats that are meant for punishing short range threats.

2 Likes

No one said this, no one implied this. All they did was a question.

2 Likes

Every tank damage complaint thread, especially at this point, implies this

1 Like

This is a wild assumption.

Orisa & Sigma got their survivability nerfed but Winston & Dva got their survivability buffed.

1 Like

d.va - 146.7 dps
zarya - less than 145 dps (dont know exact number)
hog - 150 dps
monkey - 46.2 dps
rein - 83.3 dps
orisa - 110 dps
ball - 85.1 dps
sigma - unsure actually

this is factoring in reload time and in a perfect world with every thing hitting and 100% accuracy

so the fastest a 200hp hero can die is 1.3 seconds if every single hog pellet hits

1 Like

Before role queue, the answer would probably be yes. With some exceptions, tanks can usually be expected to put out more damage than Damage characters, which obviously doesn’t make a lot of sense for balance when you can choose either one. Most damage characters do very little other than damage, while tanks do significantly more and (for some of them) damage.

Now that you’re locked to a specific role, it technically doesn’t matter. Zarya can be just plain better than Symmetra without breaking the game, for example, because a Symmetra player isn’t allowed to play Zarya or vice versa.

OP just asked a question
No need for emotion and rash assumptions

1 Like

Winston sure, but D.Va ?
D.Va got more resource for DM over long periods of time, but if she can’t use it (which is very likely, due to the cooldown), it’s no survivability buff.

Winston’s damage is per target hit, since Tesla Cannon can hit multiple targets.

Sigma’s damage was around 85 initially, since the damage tweak, I believe it’s under Reinhardt’s now, though slightly.